What's new

[DSL-AC68U] AsusWrt Merlin builds for DSL routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've tried replacing the thermal pads with thermal paste and removing the usb key (it's a mini sandisk usb3.0) and... that was a bad idea. I've gained 15° HURRAY!
I've bought some 0.5mm thermal pads, they will arrive tomorrow. Hope it will solve the problem.

where do u see cpu temprature ?
cant remember, dont have it anymore and different with stock or Merlin and depending on firmware version.
Search in all tabs, overview, administration, logs, somewhere you will find it.
Maybe: Tools->Sysinfo
Or SSH to router and type proper command for temps (have a litte search for it).

Probably others using GNUton will answer more detailed ;)

I've tried replacing the thermal pads with thermal paste
dont replace it with thermal paste - its too much space between), you could use additional thermal paste to close gap.
Or better replace with little thicker copper plates (and thermal paste).
I bent cooling plate a little (!!!) bit to get it sitting well and plain.
Have a look here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/high-temp-378-56.27731/page-2#post-212548

There must be some pressure on chip, because the gap can be under metall shielding too, there will be a second smaller thermal pad if you remove this too.
I had only +10° from 75 to 85 when I completely removed the large cooler, left with only shielding plate.

Last edited:
mine is 86C - cpu ?

what shall i do ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 20.07.40.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 20.07.40.png
    169 KB · Views: 465
are you able to repair such things (done similar in the past)?
If yes and you want to use this router longer than next 1 or 2 years spend an hour and improve thermal contact.
Otherwise let it be or put a small 5V USB fan behind.

As you could see in Kernol's post his got only 66°C @20° ambient: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/d...ilds-for-dsl-routers.55985/page-6#post-490012
Thats not "too" cool but much cooler than usually seen, I could get only down to 70° in best case without fans. <80° in summer I wont worry about at all.

Last edited:
are you able to repair such things (done similar in the past)?
If yes and you want to use this router longer than next 1 or 2 years spend an hour and improve thermal contact.
Otherwise let it be or put a small 5V USB fan behind.

I will turn back to official firmware and see the temprature change. maybe this is because custom firmware

mine is 86C - cpu ?

what shall i do ?

The SoC's that these routers are built on are different than our experiences with other computer devices.

I have seen many routers with the same temps, including my routers, with no ill effects for many years.

Stock firmware or RMerlin's forks make no difference, btw.

While you don't want the temperature to be too high, if it stays in the 80'sC then I wouldn't be too worried myself.

If you have a small USB fan or a laptop cooler to use, it won't hurt either. :)

The SoC's that these routers are built on are different than our experiences with other computer devices.

I have seen many routers with the same temps, including my routers, with no ill effects for many years.

Stock firmware or RMerlin's forks make no difference, btw.

While you don't want the temperature to be too high, if it stays in the 80'sC then I wouldn't be too worried myself.

If you have a small USB fan or a laptop cooler to use, it won't hurt either. :)
I see your point ,but in the country i live this device is expensive and I do not have technical knowledge to fix.

an external fan would be noisy and buggy as it is staying beside the TV.

there was no jffs scrits, entware or optware installed, even qos and bandwith managment and statictis options were disabled. it should not be hot as my config is too basic.

where do i check the temprature on the official firmware ? I will check and compare with the official buid, if this is working on around same tempratures then i will think this is normal and install custom firmware again.

I see your point ,but in the country i live this device is expensive and I do not have technical knowledge to fix.

an external fan would be noisy and buggy as it is staying beside the TV.

there was no jffs scrits, entware or optware installed, even qos and bandwith managment and statictis options were disabled. it should not be hot as my config is too basic.

where do i check the temprature on the official firmware ? I will check and compare with the official buid, if this is working on around same tempratures then i will think this is normal and install custom firmware again.

A laptop cooler is a very quiet and very cheap solution. :)

If I remember, stock firmware doesn't show the temperatures. Even if you went to all that trouble and confirmed that the temps were or were not the same, it would depend on how and what the network and router were being used for when looking at those temps, including the ambient temperature too. ;)

Please do a search for how 'hot' it should be. It is well within the normal range. Even RMerlin has confirmed it for many others. You are worrying for nothing, I believe.

dont replace it with thermal paste - its too much space between)
Yup, that's why i've ordered some new thermal pads. Hope they will work.
For now i've placed the old ones all on the cpu until tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

I will turn back to official firmware and see the temprature change. maybe this is because custom firmware
there wont be any difference between stock and Merlin based firmwares, CPU clock and usage will be about the same and so temps too.
Even full load will be hardly seen and overclocking from 800->1200 MHz some single °C.
Here the command shown for custom firmware:
Easier without putty, just SSH or on custom firm with enabled telnet to the router and same command: cat /proc/dmu/temperature
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-temperatures.22121/page-2#post-175551

Read this 9 pages, there are many hints how to do, some almost noiseless: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/9-router-cooling-rt-ac68u-example.26733/

where do u see cpu temprature ?

On the GNUton firmware [as well as most Merlin-Ware 384 versions] - simply go to the "Administration" tab on the left margin of the webgui and then look for the "Temperature" Tab in the columns across the top.
Click on it and all will be revealed.:)

Thanks for testing. DNS over TLS should have been there, but I will check it out what s the matter with it once again. BTW 384.11-gnuton1 should have it I saw it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk