What's new

Dual AP setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

imranUK

Occasional Visitor
I do apologise if I shouldn't have posted here, but I need some advice.

Please move if this post should be a thread of it's own.

I currently have 50MB Cable Internet and the modem is connected to a Dlink-DIR 615 in the basement. I live in a victorian house with four floors, I have a Cat5e cable running to the attic where I have a Netgear WPN802.

Would this work...

Cable Modem > ESR-9850 (Basement)
Cat5e from Router > Gigabit Switch > ECB9500 AP (DHCP Disabled) (Attic)

I currently use SSID L1 in the basement and SSID L4 in the attic sometimes the connection switches between the two based on which is stronger. I assume I can get around that somehow?

The Netgear WPN802 gives a good signal all the way downstairs with loss of speed though, the DIR-615 isn't very powerful when it comes to wireless.

Thanks.

Your setup should work fine. Wireless clients typically do switch to a stronger signal AP.
You should be able to set network priority in your wireless client software and disable automatic connection.

Thanks Tim,

Engenius do a G and N AP which one would you recommend?

Also does the ESR9850 support a 100MB WAN (cable connection) going to upgrade from 50MB later in the year.

Regarding the priority access of APs I don't think the iPad and iPhone support such a feature unless I'm mistaken.

N routers only provide benefit if you have N clients.

Yes, the ESR9850 has plenty of speed to handle 100 Mbps cable. I'm assuming you mean Bits per second, not Bytes.

Yes, you are correct about iPad and iPhone. Not much you can do to determine which AP they connect to.

Thanks Tim,

I'm having a look at the user manual for the ESR9850 specifically allowing a "guest" like feature, I have found something which allows wan to be disabled, wireless client interaction and another but I'm not sure if that's a per SSID option or is it global. I want to setup a SSID for net access only no LAN access and another SSID for me with no restrictions.

Following from above I can't find any reference to these config options in any of the ESR APs etc

Thanks