What's new

Enabling SSH

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Csection

I have a question about enabling SSH on my rt-3100.
Every time I enable SSH. My "Firewall-Start" script runs. Is this normal or is something not set properly?
That is what makes this "RMerlin" firmware so good! It opens up all these possibilities and works so well!

Last edited:
I have a question about enabling SSH on my rt-3100.
Every time I enable SSH. My "Firewall-Start" script runs. Is this normal or is something not set properly?
That is what makes this "RMerlin" firmware so good! It opens up all these possibilities and works so well!
Do you have WAN + LAN setting for SSH enabled?

I have SSH enabled setting = LAN Only. I don't toggle it off/on. I leave it on all of the time.

Any change made on that page will cause the firewall to be reconfigured, as some of the settings on this page can require firewall changes. The backend has no way of knowing whether the applied settings require a change or not, so it's always restarted by default when applying settings on that page.

Any change made on that page will cause the firewall to be reconfigured, as some of the settings on this page can require firewall changes. The backend has no way of knowing whether the applied settings require a change or not, so it's always restarted by default when applying settings on that page.
Ok!
Thanks for that!
I assumed that it was the case, but I wanted to be sure cause I'm running the "Malware-Filter" script and it is quite heavy-duty as far as the CPU is concerned.

@Csection There is a simpler script that should not be too cpu intensive

Nice. You shall aim for first run less than 30s..subsequent run less than 10s. It's achievable on a 800Mhz Cortex A9. Perhaps you can do even better. :)

Just curious. Why the nice not put before wget/sed/sort instead? Does it actually help as-is?

Just curious. Why the nice not put before wget/sed/sort instead? Does it actually help as-is?
I did it that way as the ipset restore takes the longest time. wget and sed are just a few seconds. My last run took 17 seconds scheduled to run at 2am via cron:

Code:
Apr 25 02:00:00 Firewall: /jffs/scripts/malware-block.sh: Adding ipset rules to firewall...
Apr 25 02:00:17 Firewall: /jffs/scripts/malware-block.sh: Loaded ip addresses to MalwareBlockIP (33135) and MalwareBlockCIDR (852) sets.

BTW, my router is RT-AC66R

redhat27 want my whole usersbase too ? just say the word if your gonna poach users..

@Csection my script isnt that heavy, as for the redhat27 script it has a tendacy for locking up ipset rules and filling em.. so enjoy the bugs, thats why i dropped that script and reverted back to the tried and true from the community.

yeah remove it. i dont mess with your userbase and i would appreciate it if you didnt mess with mine

It is free and open source, and anyone can put out any script. No one is forcing anyone to choose anything

Sure its open source fork it etc etc but what im talking about is common respect and not about forking stuff, if i wanted i could just fork your projects and start stealing users too.. but i dont cause i have respect for other peoples project.. thats its the bottom line.

but if you feel like you want to go ahead, cant stop ya..

Last edited:
No, you can't stop me, and neither should you want to. I did not fork your repo in the first place. But in case anyone did fork my repo, it would make me feel proud that another dev wants to further my work.

In any case, I've removed the script, though I did not need to.

redhat27 want my whole usersbase too ? just say the word if your gonna poach users..

@Csection my script isnt that heavy, as for the redhat27 script it has a tendacy for locking up ipset rules and filling em.. so enjoy the bugs, thats why i dropped that script and reverted back to the tried and true from the community.
I love your Malware-Filter script and I wouldn't trade it for another. I just was asking a question which Eric answered with a qualified answer.
I just wanted it to run on schedule, not when I turned a firmware feature on/off. No disrespect meant by me at all!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!