What's new

Firmware upgrade question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
If I were to do a factory reset after upgrading the firmware, what would happen if I restored a backup of the jffs files? In particular, would my Wireless MAC Filter list be restored and would any scripts I had installed on my USB Flash Drive still work? It sounds too good to be true, so I'm guessing that the answer is no.

I wonder the same thing - do the /opt/bin binaries and /jfss/script changes disappear?

If you perform a full reset to factory defaults after flashing to newer/different firmware and then use a saved backup config file, it will effectively be the same as doing a 'dirty' upgrade in the first place.

And it will also carry forward any issues that may arise between the old firmware and the old firmware and their respective and expected defaults, variables, and assumptions of the various settings in each of them.

The answer is yes, it will transfer everything. But in many cases, it is too good to be true (if it carries with it the issues hinted at in the paragraph above).

I was only talking about saving/restoring the jffs files, not a configutation file as such. Are you saying that these options would both have the same result?

Yes, the results may be identical, for certain networks.