What's new

Beta [FORK] [DSL] [TESTERS] GNUton's Alpha/Beta Merlin builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@eng1970 I have fixed the problem, but I am wondering now how you managed to install Merlin in the first place if
upgrading was disabled in the stock firmware too.. or a lest it should be there in the latest firmwares...

I am keen to know if Gnuton/Merlin firmware is able to work on DSL-AX5400 for optus, along with the installation steps if different

@eng1970 I have fixed the problem, but I am wondering now how you managed to install Merlin in the first place if
upgrading was disabled in the stock firmware too.. or a lest it should be there in the latest firmwares...
Old code "386.03_2-gnuton5" didn't have that to block me

@hong88 DSL-AX5400 should works on optus.
BUT please wait for the next beta 4 before testing it.
The next beta3 is gonna come maybe today.

I have seen that latest optus DSL-AX5400 doesn't manually allow to upload firmware to the router.
For this reason you may need to side flash it with Asus restoration tool or tftp... but this is just my guess seeing the source code.
I am not sure if this update has been rolled out by optus yet.

@eng1970 the block comes from latest asus's code that we merged last December. This means that Optus branded Asus routers soon won't allow you to flash custom firmware from the web UI.

@hong88 DSL-AX5400 should works on optus.
BUT please wait for the next beta 4 before testing it.
The next beta3 is gonna come maybe today.

I have seen that latest optus DSL-AX5400 doesn't manually allow to upload firmware to the router.
For this reason you may need to side flash it with Asus restoration tool or tftp... but this is just my guess seeing the source code.
I am not sure if this update has been rolled out by optus yet.
Yes it's fixed thank you

Found issue with AiMesh nodes running 386.04-gnuton1_beta4
When accessing the backend nodes Switch Control or USB Application
via

Gives you a error

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 1.08.42 pm.png

I have found a work around and that is turn off https under
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 1.09.13 pm.png

This then will change the urls

Hi guys, it's my first time in this thread. I ordered a modem/router Asus DSL-AC68U and I would like to know if the basic firmware is better or should I install Merlin firmware ? Thank you in advance for your answer :)

@bayad why do you wanna to install Merlin on the DSL-AC68U? what problems are you trying to solve?
Is Merlin better than stock? that doesn't depend on the router nor the sw, but it depends on the user.. on what you wanna achieve with your hardware.
Stock firmware works. if you are looking for something stable that works, go for it. If you are looking for some more features go for Merlin.

Last edited:
@bayad why do you wanna to install Merlin on the DSL-AC68U? what problems are you trying to solve?
Is Merlin better than stock? that's doesn't depend on the router nor the sw, but it depends on the user.. on what you wanna achieve with your hardware.

I haven't received the modem yet and just wanted to ask about the best firmware to be ready in advance :)

I will use my device as an ADSL modem and I will configure a VPN access with the OpenVPN Client...

My optus router firmware is lock
Install Asus restoration tool
set IP 192.168.1.10
Unplug power. Press reset and insert power.
Red light flashing
Start tool, flash gnuton or rt ax82u
It say failed to recover the system

Did I miss anything