What's new

Beta [FORK] [DSL] [TESTERS] GNUton's Alpha/Beta Merlin builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

By that picture you have cpu sorted, maybe the bug is not in your version.

Also was using vpn and got this error
Jul 10 21:58:11 ovpn-client1[28878]: AEAD Decrypt error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #185218 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
that's a warn and not an error.
Yes I fixed it and the fix is in the beta3

Last edited:
Hello,

I have been following this thread for more than a week and I decided to register on this forum in order to provide a feedback other than TrebleTA's, since he seems to be the only person testing betas, and also there are two cases, one where GNUton's LED is working and one where TrebleTA's isn't also with memory leak.

This is to provide my feedback based on the Beta 2 release.

I have a DSL-AX82U router, I have never modded it before and this is the first time I do such thing.
The below is my input on the Beta 2 build:

- LED works fine even after reboot, and after doing any type of configuration, customizable from both the WebUI and the mobile app (even the management LED from the app works fine)
- There is no memory leak, I have been waiting for more than 12 hours now and my memory doesn't go below 143/144MB. (WIP please wait for my final result, seems like it dropped to 138MB now)
- DoH (DNS over HTTPS) is not there (this is the main reason I wanted to switch to Merlin)
- /TrafficAnalyzer_Statistic.asp page is not entirely broken but have some small HTML/CSS bugs like "cursor hover over button" and "colors" doesn't match the main page from the official build.
- /AdaptiveQoS_InternetSpeed.asp internet speed result doesn't finish and gives an error with no result on the available test servers (also with the auto option)
- /AiProtection_HomeProtection.asp enabling AiProtection doesn't show a privacy agreement before enabling the option. (this happens on the original build)

DoH is not in the LAN menu or in the DSL menu, there only seem to be DoT (DNS over TLS) am I missing something?

Below are the differences between the original firmware (a) and the Merlin firmware (b)
A
View attachment 42608

B
View attachment 42609

Why:
1- installed server certificate in B is different from A (i prefer A's configuration
2- Acccess Type in the "Access restriction list" is only showing "Web UI" & "SSH"... what about Telnet and "(LAN only)" from Image A?

Overall I did not find any advantages of project Merlin over the original firmware (according to my needs), mainly i wanted to switch because of the DoH feature but it seems that it is not there.

Please let me know if you want me to check something before I revert back to original state.
I will reset in two days from now.

(Sorry for the font size, color and bold, i can't seem to be able to fix it after adding the images)

Best regards.
there is no telnet in my images

@GNUton thank you for the welcome.

BETA 2 Feedback

Okay so after testing several times, I think I am convinced that there's no memory leak once the router OS reaches a certain threshold.
Yesterday when I reported, the memory did go down from ~150MB to ~135MB but I never restarted the router and now I can see that after 21 hours, the RAM went back up to ~142MB.

So from my testing, inspecting, and monitoring processes and behavior, I don't believe there's a memory issue but more this is how the OS behaves.

I do recall in linux there are things such as OOM Killer.
Also nothing in the logs that seems to be abnormal.

I noticed that I can install NextDNS on the router and that made me decide to stay on Merlin instead of switching back to original firmware
Best regards,

Last edited:
@GNUton Thanks for the continued support and great work.

Been running each beta on my RT-AX82U and all have been rock solid. The only samll issue I still have, even with beta 3 has been reported here:

@GNUton

RT-AX82U

I found this issue in beta 3: It appears all the time when clicking on the WAN page (yellow exclamation), under Advanced settings, Internet Connection tab, when moving to another tab all is good, i.e., the yellow exclamation is gone/disappears. Also the postioning of it is not correct.

I also completed a router check for updated firmware and all is up to date. Clearing the browser cache made no difference either.

1657604617555.png

Last edited:
@GNUton

RT-AX82U

I found this issue in beta 3: It appears all the time when clicking on the WAN page (yellow exclamation), under Advanced settings, Internet Connection tab, when moving to another tab all is good, i.e., the yellow exclamation is gone/disappears. Also the postioning of it is not correct.

I also completed a router check for updated firmware and all is up to date. Clearing the browser cache made no difference either.

View attachment 42687
@Neil62 can you please browse the page with incognito browser, it may be due to browser caching and messing up stuff. do you haveany message in the exclamation mark btw?

i just updated to beta3 and the cpu frequency issue is still there. I'm on a RT-AX95Q.
1657607813901.png

as for memory, my memory hovers around 68-71% utilization, but I'll keep an eye on it.

@Neil62 can you please browse the page with incognito browser, it may be due to browser caching and messing up stuff. do you haveany message in the exclamation mark btw?
Makes no difference as I said, the issue remains, tried Chrome, Edge and Firefox, clearing cache as I go. The issue was not there in beta 2. No message is displayed with a mouse hover over it. This is from a clean install. As everyone keeps mentioning it, my RAM/Memory usage hovers around 53%, +/- 2%.

For my environment/setup, what don’t I run:
QoS
Trend Micro
Parental Controls
VPN's
Roaming Assistant
Traffic Analyzer
USB Applications/Scripts
Smart Connect

1657608186416.png

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    146.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
i just updated to beta3 and the cpu frequency issue is still there. I'm on a RT-AX95Q.
View attachment 42688

as for memory, my memory hovers around 68-71% utilization, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Did you try clearing browser cache? Fresh firmware install/reset, or dirty upgrade, if so, from what firmware version?

Makes no difference as I said, the issue remains, tried Chrome, Edge and Firefox, clearing cache as I go. The issue was not there in beta 2. No message is displayed with a mouse hover over it. This is from a clean install. As everyone keeps mentioning it, my RAM/Memory usage hovers around 53%, +/- 2%.

For my environment/setup, what don’t I run:
QoS
Trend Micro
Parental Controls
VPN's
Roaming Assistant
Traffic Analyzer
USB Applications/Scripts
Smart Connect

View attachment 42689
I will check it and report back.

Last edited:
@GNUton re memory, been running over a day now what ever the peoblem was it's gone now. Am at 148mb after 24+hrs. Maybe it was were my dsl line was having problems but think I would say. Will update to beta 3 tomorrow.

Thanks for all the work and will report back with anything I see on beta 3.

Agreed, thank you for your work @GNUton !!

@GNUton

RT-AX82U

Found another small issue, Under, Wireless, General tab, 2.4GHz, if selecting 'Disable 11b' , after hitting the apply button, you are unable to deselect it again.

1657665098647.png

@GNUton on beta 3 notice were still missing some dns over tls settings.
Else looking good, lots of the old faults fixed :)

Just noticed on a old bug were if you set login for HTTPS and your own port, port 80 is shown on the page, well from that if port forward is enabled, port 80 is still getting forwarded.

DNS Filtering can you add DNS over TLS to it or a option, so if its enabled in the wan settings?
Also on DNS Filtering web ui page, there is some of the page info (decription) missing about servers that use to be there.

24hrs + now no major problems, but am getting this in the logs

Jul 14 09:09:35 kernel: [110074.916241] CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_sta_info : GET STA INFO failed, -21
Jul 14 09:14:37 kernel: [110376.919648] CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_sta_info : GET STA INFO failed, -21
Jul 14 09:19:42 kernel: [110681.916985] CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_sta_info : GET STA INFO failed, -21
Jul 14 09:24:47 kernel: [110986.919317] CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_sta_info : GET STA INFO failed, -21
Jul 14 09:29:58 kernel: [111297.922523] CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_sta_info : GET STA INFO failed, -21

Last edited:
Also another error I'm getting
Code:
Jul 14 17:38:13 miniupnpd[19636]: Unauthorized to remove PCP mapping internal port 6888, protocol UDP
Jul 14 17:42:01 miniupnpd[19636]: Unauthorized to remove PCP mapping internal port 6888, protocol TCP
Jul 14 17:42:01 miniupnpd[19636]: Unauthorized to remove PCP mapping internal port 6888, protocol UDP
Jul 14 17:42:40 miniupnpd[19636]: Unauthorized to remove PCP mapping internal port 6888, protocol TCP
Jul 14 17:42:40 miniupnpd[19636]: Unauthorized to remove PCP mapping internal port 6888, protocol UDP
Jul 14 17:43:59 miniupnpd[19636]: Unauthorized to remove PCP mapping internal port 6888, protocol UDP

Important Note

If you flash Merlin on your DSL-AX82U (beta version), you will not be able to restore RGB functionality "if it was broken" when restoring to original firmware!

I tried every possible combination to make sure to restore to the default firmware and then turn ON RGB, but it will not turn ON at all, but only while booting and or going into rescue mode.

whenever the boot process completes, the RGB turns off immediately.
I have tried turning ON/OFF options from the WEB and from the APP nothing worked with each option + reboot right after.