What's new

Gain remote access to RT-AX86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gogreen1

Regular Contributor
Is there a way to restart my RT-AX86u remotely without having turned on remote access locally? Is there any way I can gain remote access to my RT-AX86u without having enabled remote access locally?

Set up a VPN server if you have a public IP. Then you can connect to the server, then either via GUI or SSH reboot the router.

Set up a VPN server

This is opening remote access on the router. With no remote access of any kind you can't reboot the router remotely. Remote access can be to another device on the network like PC with TeamViewer, AnyDesk, etc. You still need remote access to something on this network to access the router.

This is opening remote access on the router. With no remote access of any kind you can't reboot the router remotely. Remote access can be to another device on the network like PC with TeamViewer, AnyDesk, etc. You still need remote access to something on this network to access the router.
Yep, I know. I was assuming the OP was talking about opening up the remote access option I the GUI.

I figured this might cause confusion after the fact.

I can access my RT-AX86S via the ASUS Router App on my iPhone and it offers the option to reboot. Select Devices and select your router. Hitting the circle with the three vertical dots in the upper right corner will give you the option to reboot. I cannot recall if I had to grant anything permission through ASUS.

I can access my RT-AX86S via the ASUS Router App on my iPhone and it offers the option to reboot. Select Devices and select your router. Hitting the circle with the three vertical dots in the upper right corner will give you the option to reboot. I cannot recall if I had to grant anything permission through ASUS.

That's because the app enables remote access (one reason not to use the app). Either way you have to set up the app locally first.

Is there a way to restart my RT-AX86u remotely without having turned on remote access locally? Is there any way I can gain remote access to my RT-AX86u without having enabled remote access locally?

If the answer was yes, wouldn't you be extremely concerned?

Personally, I am of the opinion that the ASUS app is a huge security issue.

Asus App is trading security for convenience. Other router Apps do the same.

The OP's question has already been answered. He doesn't need the additional personal commentary.

I'm the OP. I see that the RT-AX86u can create a reboot schedule. Wouldn't setting up, say, a weekly reboot schedule accomplish the same thing that I originally was trying to create--without enabling the dreaded remote access? If there were a glitch, the router would automatically reboot every week, so I'd lose those apps that required a router reboot only for a week or less.

I'm the OP. I see that the RT-AX86u can create a reboot schedule. Wouldn't setting up, say, a weekly reboot schedule accomplish the same thing that I originally was trying to create--without enabling the dreaded remote access? If there were a glitch, the router would automatically reboot every week, so I'd lose those apps that required a router reboot only for a week or less.

You can do daily if you're concerned with stuff freezing. Of course if the router is hard locked up that process may not run, you can plug it into a smart outlet or old school timer and have it power cycle daily that way too. But haven't seen any complaints of the reboot scheduler not working.

If there were a glitch

It depends on what glitch we are talking about. The recent bad ASD update was locking the routers and scheduled reboot wasn't happening.

You can do daily if you're concerned with stuff freezing. Of course if the router is hard locked up that process may not run, you can plug it into a smart outlet or old school timer and have it power cycle daily that way too. But haven't seen any complaints of the reboot scheduler not working.
Thanks, drinkingbird. Scheduling reboots lets me avoid all the dangers associated with enabling remote access! Perfect! But why a daily reboot? Isn't that overkill?

But why a daily reboot?

I wouldn't recommend daily reboots for no reason. If this is really needed - Band-Aid solution to underlying issue.

The router isn't the problem. But when a power glitch causes the router to reboot, my solar power Enphase system and my myQ garage door opener app don't come back on line as they should--like all my other apps. I'm working with the Enphase people to find a solution so that I don't have to make an accommodation in the router. Not sure what I'll do about the myQ app. The router scheduled reboot is actually Plan B.

Thanks, drinkingbird. Scheduling reboots lets me avoid all the dangers associated with enabling remote access! Perfect! But why a daily reboot? Isn't that overkill?

All depends on how often you have the issue and how long you'd be willing to go offline for. People with freezing router issues typically wouldn't want to be offline for more than a day. It isn't a proper solution but it works. Of course a UPS on the critical stuff that is impacted by power outages is probably a better solution.

Buy Smart Plugs. I use them for other devices. Smart Plugs also have schedule options.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!