What's new

Galaxy Note 8 Wireless Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

finaldude

New Around Here
Hello,

I was directed here by someone on a different forum, hoping to find an answer.

I recently purchased the Note 8.0 and I'm experiencing a weird problem with the internet connection. I can connect to my wireless network, I can access other devices on the LAN, but I cannot access the Internet or ping the gateway (I can however ping other hosts on the LAN). I know it's not the tablet as I've tried it at work and I also tried running my S4 as a hot-spot and internet works as it should. The S4 works without a problem on my wireless at home as do a few laptops.

At this point, I'd say, it is obvious that it's something with my cable modem/router, but if possible I'd like to figure out what the problem is.

I found a post somewhere that had a similar problem, where the device in question was receiving the wrong MAC for the gateway, but this is not the case here as my tablet does not even receive a MAC for the gateway.

Output from the tablet:

android:/ $ ip neigh
<some IPv6 address> dev wlan0 lladdr <Gateway MAC> router STALE
192.168.0.1(gateway) dev wlan0 FAILED
192.168.0.5 dev wlan0 lladdr <Server MAC> reachable

Output from the S4:

android:/ $ ip neigh
<same IPv6 as above> dev wlan0 lladdr <Gatewawy MAC> router STALE
192.168.0.1 dev wlan0 lladdr <Gatweay MAC> reachable
192.168.0.5 dev wlan0 lladdr <Server MAC> reachable

I've tried resetting the modem back to factory defaults, removing/changing encryption type. I did not wipe the tablet as I've had the issue from day 1.

The only way I'm able to get the tablet to sort of connect to the internet is to assign a static IP to it, however that only works for a few mins and is very intermittent.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any way to figure out why the tablet won't get the MAC for the gateway?

My cable modem/router is an Arris DG860, but unfortunately, there's very little info on it and I couldn't find a firmware upgrade for it. What's also interesting is that the tablet does not show up in the DHCP client list of the modem, however it gets an IP, connects and communicates with other hosts.

Thank you for your help

Hello,

I was directed here by someone on a different forum, hoping to find an answer.

I recently purchased the Note 8.0 and I'm experiencing a weird problem with the internet connection. I can connect to my wireless network, I can access other devices on the LAN, but I cannot access the Internet or ping the gateway (I can however ping other hosts on the LAN). I know it's not the tablet as I've tried it at work and I also tried running my S4 as a hot-spot and internet works as it should. The S4 works without a problem on my wireless at home as do a few laptops.

At this point, I'd say, it is obvious that it's something with my cable modem/router, but if possible I'd like to figure out what the problem is.
<SNIP>

On Play Store download WiFi Fixer let that run and keep the log handy (activate it) What do you get for errors.

Android Info is another app you can use.

So you get IP address but you can't connect to WiFi. Have you change the settings so that the tablet will use WiFi instead of Mobile Networks. Another app to use is Android Assistant you can change a lot of default settings.

Also Android WiFi Buddy is another too you can use. You could force the system to go static IP instead of DHCP. Can you get into your router and change these settings. Or what you can do is buy AP and have all WiFi devices connect to the Wireless Access Point instead.

Or you could have faulty device. Can you go into say a friends home network, or internet cafes or even where you got the phone from but they would be mostly on their 4LTG networks.

Router should see your device if it doesn't then you have a problem as you have came here. But I would like to know what type of WiFi connection are you getting from the device. These apps above will give you idea what's going on.

Hi, I have the note 8 with a similar problem. I went pretty far up the customer service latter and have kind of given up.

The most likely thing I thought was what my ISP service guy gut stuck at. He believed that the note 6 was only wanting to use a IP version 6 address, and that my modem or Time Warner itself wasnt doing that IP vesrion.

I tried every other security switch back door kind of hacking and it seems more likely that technical ip version thing.

The weirdest thing is I have a Note 2 and it gets wifi fine. Along with an ipad and a ps3. Only the Note 8 has this issue, and only on my home wifi.

I went way down the chain of samsung and they wont take blame I just get more and more complex technical things to try changing on my wifi, but I cant imagine all other devices can connect fine and this one needs neo to hack into it?

There's some DHCP ugliness with some 4.1.2 ROM's - but this looks like a driver issue with the Galaxy Note 8 - call and talk to Samsung, not your ISP.

sfx

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!