What's new

go from merlin to DDwrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nimdjid

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I currently run Merlin build firmware on my asus AC68u to be able to put openVPN server direclty on the router (so that all traffic that goes through the router goes through the VPN). For this function I needed to go to merlin.

However lately Ive been having issues and the VPN provider does not support the merlin firmware so I need to go to the ddrwrt.
Now Ive been googling a bit and Im not that advanced with these things. So was hoping for some advice about how to switch my firmware.

thank you

If you're going to look at DD-WRT, then I'd also look at shibby's Tomato releases. It has OpenVPN (both client and server) and has supported the AC86U for the better part of a year now (several revisions), so it should be pretty stable. FWIW, I've often found Tomato to be more stable than DD-WRT, but as the saying goes, you're mileage may vary.

I see. Ty for the advice. I will look at that for sure
Is it easy to go from merlin to tomato?

Just to make sure you don't brick your router, I would take the time to go from merlin back to the original firmware first. Then, perform a factory reset. Then, if this model still supports it, perform a 30-30-30 reset after that (you can look up on the DD-WRT forums how that is done -- it's found in the "Peacock" DD-WRT forum thread). Then flash Tomato using the instructions included in the download package and/or on the tomato website or accompanying forums. Then do another 30-30-30 reset after Tomato is flashed, to make sure you again clear out any residual settings. Then you should be good to go. Yes, all of this does add time, but only several minutes more, and it's worth making sure you reset the device properly between flashes. Best of luck!

Hi everyone newby so be nice.im looking to chat about the Iomega ix4-200d
Myrouter gave up the other day so setting up a new one same model .setup all my devices to static ip's .the router can see the Iomega and says it's connected but when I ping it I get a reply saying pinging 192.168.1.::::: with 32 bytes of data:
Packets sent 4 packets received 4 lost 0
So thinking that this is good .but I can't bring up the management page for the Iomega by typing in its ip into my browser .
Any help

Hi everyone newby so be nice.im looking to chat about the Iomega ix4-200d
Myrouter gave up the other day so setting up a new one same model .setup all my devices to static ip's .the router can see the Iomega and says it's connected but when I ping it I get a reply saying pinging 192.168.1.::::: with 32 bytes of data:
Packets sent 4 packets received 4 lost 0
So thinking that this is good .but I can't bring up the management page for the Iomega by typing in its ip into my browser .
Any help

Stop hijacking threads. Open a new thread instead

Kong's DD-WRT works well and has many features. I used it ever since the Netgear R7000 was released, but recently bought the Asus RT-AC87R to use as my primary router so I switched back to Merlin's firmware.

If you're not very knowledgeable about networking, then you're going to have a difficult time running DD-WRT efficiently. I like to this I'm knowledgeable, I know more than the average person, but I found DD-WRT a little overwhelming because of all the available features, some of which I didn't know much about so I had to learn them.

The benefits of Merlin's firmware is it's easy to use, easy to setup, runs effectively for long periods of time where my DD-WRT router seemed to always lockup, or my bandwidth would be much slower than what my service is, and I think it's because I didn't have something setup correctly to optimize my router. I found myself going into the settings everyday to change something trying to optimize my connection because the number of features are a little overwhelming. I personally am glad to be running Merlin's firmware again on both of my routers, and I've never had to reboot my router (I did this daily with DD-WRT, and the firmware actually has a built-in feature to reset it automatically on a daily basis).
This is of course my opinion, but you might think otherwise. Everyone has different things they like. Some people love running DD-WRT, but I just found Merlin's firmware more dependable. I travel frequently and have to access my home network when I'm out of town using RDP, and when I was running DD-WRT, I knew I always had a 50/50 chance of being able to login. My network is always running now, and I'm always maximizing my bandwidth. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Good stuff, rol. I have similar experiences to add on the Tomato side of things (Shibby's Tomato, specifically). I realize it isn't quite bug-free for ARM-based gear yet, but for MIPS and MIPSR2 stuff, I've almost always found it more reliable than DD-WRT, for whatever reason. I'm sure Kong and other devs have gone to great lengths to prove me wrong since my last testings of a year or two ago, but just my two cents, for whatever it's worth. :)

Hi,
Regulars at dd-wrt forum are very helpful bunch. Most know the stuff pretty well. If correct question is asked, more than enough answer(s) will come along but they won't baby sit you. One way of learning is by trying new things, right? Logical minds seldom get into deep troubles. I've been playing with dd-wrt since the days of WRT-54G.