What's new

GT-AX6000 Bufferbloat

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Deathwing

New Around Here
Hey guys,

I have been plagued by bufferbloat (and packet loss/high ms during high internet use) and I can't seem to "make it go away". Whenever I am on Discord talking with my friends, if I start a download or something, it starts to chug my Discord connection with occasional packet loss and severely high latency.

I have a weird asymmetrical connection with 1000 Mbps download and 50 Mbps upload. GT-AX6000 by default yields me the following Bufferbloat results:

image.png

What should I do to improve this? Do I have to go ahead and purchase a UDM Pro or something?

What's the QOS set to? Also, do you have HW acceleration enabled?

1681229593237.png

Also, what is your modem and provider? This can impact bufferbloat as well.

What's the QOS set to? Also, do you have HW acceleration enabled?

View attachment 49222

Also, what is your modem and provider? This can impact bufferbloat as well.

It is set to Adaptive QoS with 50 Mbps upload and 940 Mbps download. I am not using Asuswrt-merlin at the moment so don't have access to the UI, but it was enabled. (The score was same with Merlin). GT-AX6000 serves as Modem as well, FTTH from ONT > RJ45 to AX6000. ISP is Superonline (in Turkey)

Hey guys,

I have been plagued by bufferbloat (and packet loss/high ms during high internet use) and I can't seem to "make it go away". Whenever I am on Discord talking with my friends, if I start a download or something, it starts to chug my Discord connection with occasional packet loss and severely high latency.

I have a weird asymmetrical connection with 1000 Mbps download and 50 Mbps upload. GT-AX6000 by default yields me the following Bufferbloat results:

image.png

What should I do to improve this? Do I have to go ahead and purchase a UDM Pro or something?

Did you perform the test via a wired connection? WiFi will introduce latency and there is not much to do about that other than experiment with air time fairness.

I have a 88u Pro on a fios 1GB connection and reliably get a score of an ‘A’ via a 1GB
S Ethernet connection to the router. WIFI results in and ‘B‘ score with Air Time fairness turned on. From what I read, you can fix buffer bloat with QOS but Asus ‘s implementation did not do much for me other than degrade results in many cases.

That score should not impact discord much. Maybe the real problem is discords servers? Also, I’m sckeptical of the buffer bloat test site as I get much better latency and upload scores view SpeedTest. Bufferbloa scores on that site seem random when you do back to back tests.

Did you perform the test via a wired connection? WiFi will introduce latency and there is not much to do about that other than experiment with air time fairness.

I have a 88u Pro on a fios 1GB connection and reliably get a score of an ‘A’ via a 1GB
S Ethernet connection to the router. WIFI results in and ‘B‘ score with Air Time fairness turned on. From what I read, you can fix buffer bloat with QOS but Asus ‘s implementation did not do much for me other than degrade results in many cases.

That score should not impact discord much. Maybe the real problem is discords servers? Also, I’m sckeptical of the buffer bloat test site as I get much better latency and upload scores view SpeedTest. Bufferbloa scores on that site seem random when you do back to back tests.
I am on a Wired connection.

Last time I tried Cake it severely dropped the max speed to around 400 Mbps. It does work, but it limits the speed heavily.
Ah yes, you are using it with a very fast connection. My connection is much slower. That's a real shame.

It is set to Adaptive QoS with 50 Mbps upload and 940 Mbps download. I am not using Asuswrt-merlin at the moment so don't have access to the UI, but it was enabled. (The score was same with Merlin). GT-AX6000 serves as Modem as well, FTTH from ONT > RJ45 to AX6000. ISP is Superonline (in Turkey)
Why is your upload setting equal to your available bandwidth? From what I have read, you should also set it to a lower number. I'd try 45 Mbps (90%)

Just out of the box, QoS off, nothing changed except enabling the 160hz frequency on my GT-AX6000 on my 1GBPS down/350 MBPS up connection:

buffer.png

Result

I'd try turning QoS off.
I did, had no changes really.

Why is your upload setting equal to your available bandwidth? From what I have read, you should also set it to a lower number. I'd try 45 Mbps (90%)
The results were pretty much the same.

Just out of the box, QoS off, nothing changed except enabling the 160hz frequency on my GT-AX6000 on my 1GBPS down/350 MBPS up connection:

View attachment 49256

Result
I only have 50 upload :(

The results were pretty much the same.

When I had a slower connection I used FlexQoS with fq_codel and set an even lower limit (maybe try 40?).

I'd keep trying with different methods, and re-evaluate if the higher download bandwidth is more important to you than bufferbloat. If it isn't, and Cake does the job, maybe stay with it? On most occasions, I bet that the difference between 900 Mbps and 400 Mbps is barely noticeable.

On the other hand, if the bufferbloat is only noticeable in the test, but you don't experience any inconveniences, then don't use QoS.

QoS off, AX 5GHz - 80MHz, RT-AX56U, 300Mbps/50Mbps:
Zrzut ekranu 2023-04-11 224841.png

QoS off, AX 2,4 GHz - 20MHz, RT-AX56U, 300Mbps/50Mbps:
Zrzut ekranu 2023-04-11 223748.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!