What's new

GT-AX6000 power supply 12v

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rudoyeugene

Occasional Visitor
Hello!

So, long story short.
I have a power station with direct DC12v output. So the question is: can the subject run on 12v if specs and the routers back clearly says it needs 19.5v.
Well, just attached a DC-DC cable to router and 12v output of the power station and it runs without any issues. I don't know how good is that and for how long the router continue to operate (to be honest IDC and power circuit shall be fine) but at least now I have -1 power supply with cables around router location.
Even more, the operations looks a bit faster and overall temperature is slightly decreased. Now I see 67°C on CPU and 58/60 on radios.

It'll start on 12V without a problem. The one thing to consider is the actual power used will be roughly the same. P≠VI and so I=P/V. As the voltage drops the current drawn will rise. Will the internal components cope with this extra current? If I had schematics I'd be able to tell you. Being digital voltage regulation maybe - only time will tell.

It'll start on 12V without a problem. The one thing to consider is the actual power used will be roughly the same. P≠VI and so I=P/V. As the voltage drops the current drawn will rise. Will the internal components cope with this extra current? If I had schematics I'd be able to tell you. Being digital voltage regulation maybe - only time will tell.
Indeed, I can answer the same if I had a disassembled unit. The station can provide up to 12V/8A, I suppose this will be more than enough. Right now the 12V output used by 2 devices:
1st is Asustor NAS with native 12V supply, it uses only 7W
2nd is GT-AX6000
In total both generate 17W of power usage. Means GT-AX6000 makes only 10W. So I think components should be all fine.

The router will work fine and internal step-down voltage regulators will be under less thermal stress. Some newer Asus models use 12V power supply and I'm highly in doubt they did any changes to the PCB power circuits. I've tried like 4-5 different Asus routers on 12V and all worked as expected.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!