What's new

Guest networks and DHCP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am a bit new to this but this is the script I am using and I think it works (YMMV). It just has some small modifications from some of those linked in previous posts. In part it is structured to put all the guest networks on their own subnets. I have the entware platform installed so I just added it all to the end of the /jffs/scripts/services-start otherwise create that file, put #!/bin/sh at the top, chmod +xxx and reboot.

It does not appear to work on the RT-AC87U 5GHz interfaces (vlan4000, vlan4001 and vlan4002, clients on those interfaces will be allocated IP / subnet from the main interface). According to RMerlin (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-dhcp-for-wireless-guest-networks.39347/) the 5GHz on the RT-AC87U is a separate firmware running on a separate CPU and I think that is causing issues (specifically it is causing the traffic to appear to come from the eth interface and not the vlan400X interfaces). I don't really know but I have tried hard and I can't get it to work at this stage. This also appears (in my testing) to mean it is not possible to disable intranet access from the 5GHz guest networks on the RT-AC87U (despite / contrary to the setting on the guest network page) so I have immediately disabled all 5GHz guest networks on my router anyway.

Hope it helps someone.

Ok I can't seem to get the code tags to work so I have linked it here - https://pastebin.com/wvbfuqFT

After having the same problem -- no DHCP for guest networks when main LAN has its own DHCP server -- I came up with a script to automatically take care of things. This works for up to three guest networks per band, or six in total, same as the Merlin GUI.

It puts the 2.4GHz guests onto 192.168.10.*, 192.168.11.*, 192.168.12.*
and the 5GHz guests onto 192.168.20.*, 192.168.21.*, 192.168.22.*

Grab the script from here: http://rtr.ca/merlin/enable_dhcp_for_guests.sh
(snbforums won't allow it to be posted directly here, so..).

I invoke it from /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

Cheers

Hi, thanks for this solution – I finally get an IP address assigned to the clients which connect to the guest network. But clients don't get internet access through your solution, so maybe I am missing something.

My network setting:
My ASUS RT-AC88U with AsusWRT-Merlin 380.66_6 is configured as wireless router, internal dhcp is disabled because my base router/firewall/dhcp is an IPfire device directly connected to the cable network provider's modem. We want to use the AC88U only as wireless router and it is connected by wire to the IPfire router through one of the LAN ports.
Our main wifi networks configured through the AC88U work like a charm. With disabled dhcp server guest clients got no ip – but this is solved through mlord's script, ip addresses get assigned in subnet 192.168.10.xxx. But internet isn't working that way.

Update: when I provide intranet access to guest clients via webGUI internet is working as well. But this is a no-go for me.

Any idea?

Last edited:
Any idea?

Just want to get this question from one month ago again into focus. I don't have a solution yet.
Some findings: we can't ping the new subnet for guest network from the router itself, so something is preventing getting the internet traffic through to the gust network.
Thanks again for your ideas.