What's new

Having trouble with AX82U router consistently restarting.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChaosMachine

New Around Here
I have been battling this Asus AX82U router all day. I got on Xbox to play Diablo 4 and kept getting disconnected over and over and over. So I knew something was wrong with my network. I attempted multiple reboots and factory reset 2x. The problem seems to be a consistent restart and internet speeds are all over the place.

I have been battling this Asus AX82U router all day. I got on Xbox to play Diablo 4 and kept getting disconnected over and over and over. So I knew something was wrong with my network. I attempted multiple reboots and factory reset 2x. The problem seems to be a consistent restart and internet speeds are all over the place.
Hi,
I'm facing the same issues. Wifi starts to drop down the speed and coverage. Then reboots, like every 3 days.
It's been annoying, because its an expensive router with very good specs.
If i reset it gets nice coverage and unbelievably speed on 5Ghz even in between floors.
I've the setup AiMesh with 2 routers AC67U.
So far what I've noticed is that firmware 3.0.0.4.384_9703 is the more stable to AiMesh, never get lost clients.

You can give a try on this firmware.

Anyway, any more thoughts from other members?

Last edited:
Not very secure running firmware from 3 years ago.

The RT-AC68U AiMesh nodes are most likely the issues for you, helwifi.

I would only use them in Media Bridge mode today.

Not very secure running firmware from 3 years ago.

The RT-AC68U AiMesh nodes are most likely the issues for you, helwifi.

I would only use them in Media Bridge mode today.
Yes the security is important, but having about 50% clients down is a mess. I've around 20 clients that i use everyday. Shutter blind, lamps, AC, boiler, etc...

So I cant get them down.

I use the AiMesh setup with the bundle AC67U for 1 month and works perfect. Now I make a reset and after some days it get Wi-Fi and speed down.

So strange.

P.S.: I've a typo on the previous repply, where I've wrote AC68U e mean AC67U (the bundle), corrected already.

Yes the security is important, but having about 50% clients down is a mess. I've around 20 clients that i use everyday. Shutter blind, lamps, AC, boiler, etc...

So I cant get them down.

I use the AiMesh setup with the bundle AC67U for 1 month and works perfect. Now I make a reset and after some days it get Wi-Fi and speed down.

So strange.

P.S.: I've a typo on the previous repply, where I've wrote AC68U e mean AC67U (the bundle), corrected already.

If the router is slowing down and rebooting it sounds like a heat issue. It is possible that it has been permanently damaged, those are old routers and eventually the silicone thermal pads break down, then the solder joints crack. As you run it and it heats up, those cracks open up. But if you have them in an area they are subject to high temperatures or poor airflow, try moving them and hope the damage is not permanent.

Definitely do not run 384 on your internet facing router. You will likely get hacked. If you absolutely must do it, disconnect from internet, factory reset, set a STRONG username AND password, and ensure all WAN access (SSH and http/https) is disabled. Only then can you connect it back to the internet. But that is still not 100% safe. That code has multiple vulnerabilites.

In reality, those are very old routers, they've served their purpose and it is probably time to replace them with a new AX router(s). You may be able to replace them both with a single AX router and have sufficient coverage.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!