What's new

help finding 16 port gigabit switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hedly

Regular Contributor
Hello all,
First post here...long time reader. Little background first.

I have ATT DSL to a Speedstream DSL Modem
Then it goes to a linksys wrt54GS router (4 port w/wireless G)
The router is also connected to a 16 port 100Mb/s Hawking switch
From there I have a server which will eventually no only hold all our media, it will also be a SageTV server
Then I have 3 computers, Buffalo Linkstation NAS, Print server, an HTPC, and an LG 42" 550 TV.
Eventually I will wire the bedrooms (I am not a fan of wireless...kind of a security freak).

So, recently as I have been moving files over to the new server (HP XW4400) there have been some issues if we are streaming DVD's or hi-def video from the server. The movie stutters.

So I was thinking about upgrading the switch to a gigabit switch. The HTPC, server, and my workstation all have Gig NICs and I have run CAT5e to all those locations.

Initially I was just thinking about replacing the router with an 8-port gig router, but I most of them seem to have issues with longevity. This seems to also hold true for some 8-port gig switchs. Then due to the number of computers, I would not have room for expansion on the Gig network.

So I have really decided to start by getting a 16 port Gig switch. There aren't many reviews, but I have read many a comment from online vendors (like the 'Egg' place, and the place named after the South American River).

After much deliberation I though I had settled on the D-Link 1016D; which can be found at the Egg place for $119 ($189 most other places). But then I happened upon the Dell PowerConnect 2816 which is on sale for $209.

The Dell is web managed, the D-link is unmanaged. Both seem to have 4 queues for quality of service. Both have no fans so they are silent.

So after all that, does anyone have a recommendation for a 16-port gig switch?
any thoughts on the two that I have whittled it down to?

Thanks in advanced,

hEdly

Thanks Tim. I have actually read those two articles...back when you first published them.

I am really concerned with life of the devices. Looking at reviews of even some of the 16 port switches (that are now approaching small business class devices), it is surprising how many bad reviews they receive...mostly due to device failure.

Aside from security (being able to turn off ports), the main thing I see a managed switch providing is VLAN support. Would implementing a VLAN provide any performance gains for a home media/file share server?

If I don't get a managed switch now, I coudl implement a VLAN if I were to get a new router that has VLAN capabilities.

Before I pull the trigger on a buy, is there anything else I should consider? Any users out there with an opinion?

VLANs won't help performance in such a small LAN. It's mainly useful for security.

Fail rates for Gigabit switches can be high, especially for those designed for consumer applications. That's why warranty is important. I think D-Link and NETGEAR offer lifetime warranty on some/all switches. Check before you buy.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!