What's new

Help! Issues with brand new AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iLL0GiCaL L0GiC

New Around Here
Hi all, I've spent last night and today searching the web, and mainly this forum for any clue on how to fix some issues I'm having with a day-old Asus AC5300.

I set it up yesterday and everything went fine, initially just had the stock firmware, with an automatic update it did when I filled out the initial wizard forms. Later in the evening it randomly started having issues, and what I assume was repeatedly rebooting. Like every 30 seconds to a minute. Every time it came back up, down it went again. So I did a few manual pull the plug reboots and got it up long enough to download the newest Merlin release which seemed to fix it all up.

Flash forward to early this afternoon when a new problem popped up. Out of nowhere the wireless signals, seemingly the 2.4 and both of the two 5 ghz bands just drop, out of nowhere. Searching on multiple devices doesn't show them. And checking in the router shows a half full green wifi signal on the top right which hovering over shows:

Wi-Fi:
2.4G: Channel 0
5g-1: Channel 0
5G-2: Channel undefined

Looking elsewhere such as Site Survey under Wireless shows yellow messages as follows:
2.4 GHz radio is disabled - cannot scan that band! 5 GHz radio is disabled - cannot scan that band!

The ethernet cord I have to my computer stays running just fine, but the only thing that will get the wifi back up is full reboots of the router.

I've tried a number of solutions found here and elsewhere with the most extreme being restarting and holding the reset button down 10 seconds to get it back to factory settings, although this did not reset the firmware.

On any given reboot the wifi signal stays up maybe 20mins-30 mins before mysteriously going down again with no warning. Also possibly of note, on the front of the router the 2.4 light is out, while the 5 light is on. Also confusing since neither seems to be working.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wits end and can't seem to find anything to get it working right and consistently. Thank you in advance for your time.

There are problem with the current firmware from ASUS as reported in this thread:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-5300-version-3-0-0-4-380-3941.34015/

I had to send two units back because of this, you can try what this guy has done (YouTube video, with a bit of swearing, sorry :( ), this has worked for me on my current 5300, the video:

Always remember to remove all USB devices attached to the router, that's the killer I believe when flashing the firmware.

Good luck

PS, don't let the router upgrade the firmware, as version 3.0.0.4.380.3941 is the problem.

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately while I'm doing his router flash, my file upload makes it to about 60 someodd percent before giving the "Failed to upload the firmware file, transfer cancelled" message. Not sure if that means I should let it sit like he does for an hour or try again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wits end and can't seem to find anything to get it working right and consistently. Thank you in advance for your time.

Return it for exchange - it's broken....

This happens...

Return it for exchange - it's broken....

This happens...
Yeah that's ultimately what I decided after several more hours of trying to get it to work. Hopefully the next one won't have any issues.

Thanks again for your time and expertise all.

Yeah that's ultimately what I decided after several more hours of trying to get it to work. Hopefully the next one won't have any issues.

Thanks again for your time and expertise all.

Just don't let the router update the firmware, get Merlin's its much better and does not brick the router if done correctly .

Regards

Just don't let the router update the firmware, get Merlin's its much better and does not brick the router if done correctly .

Regards
Honestly as I recall, it just did it by itself without prompting me first. But I'll see if there's a way to bypass it next time around.