What's new

Help needed with Wireless Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Briant73

Regular Contributor
New to this forum and hoping you can all help with my issue.

Currently moved into a new house and rather not run cables to the main level but finding a problem already. Currently have a cable modem located on the lower level and connected ehternet into a Netgear WGR614v7.

I have an xbox360 with the microsoft wireless adaptor which is barely seeing a signal from the current wireless router. Also I have a dish 722 with ethernet receiver that though doesn't need to be setup, would be nice to have the option.

I currently am running a Netgear Wgr614v7 but have a Linksys WRT54g version 5 available. Now can I take one of these routers, connect the Xbox 360 and Dish 722 wired into it and then send the signal to the other router that is hooked into my cable modem? If this is possible any advice how to setup and what would be the best configuration?

Using the other router won't help get a stronger signal.

How fast is your Internet connection?

Are you going to try to stream HD video to the xbox360?

This is the setup I'm proposing -

Cable mode to wirless router on the lower level
Xbox and Dish 722 wired into another wireless router on the main level
The main wireless router would the communicate everything wirelessly to the lower router.

As for signal strength I'm putting 80% of the fault on the microsoft xbox 360 wireless adaptor. Where it's showing one or no bars, a laptop computer in the same spot is showing 3 to 5.

I understand your setup, which won't work since wireless routers don't communicate with each other.

If you are going to be streaming high-def content, you really will be much happier with Ethernet.

I am debating wiring but the problem is it's not an easy task at the moment and many other projects are looming that take precedence.

Here is what I did this weekend -

Netgear WGr614v7 hooked to cable modem dhcp turned on for about 20 address reservations, also have wireless broadcasting on channel 11 with it's own ssid, and security passphrase.

Ethernet cable from lan port of Nwetgear to the lan port of the linksys.

Linksys wgr514 v5 static ip address outside the dhcp netgear range but same subnet, dhcp turned off, advanced routing set to router not gateway. Wireless enabled with a DIFFERENT channel, ssid, and security passphrase.

Does this sound right? My signal is much better with the linksys. Anything I should be aware of.

Last edited:
If the Linksys is providing a better signal, why not turn off the wireless on the Netgear?

If you have both radios enabled , set the Linksys to channel 1 or 6.

If the Linksys is providing a better signal, why not turn off the wireless on the Netgear?

If you have both radios enabled , set the Linksys to channel 1 or 6.

Currently the linksys is on channel 6. As for both radios enabled I may shut off the netgear but a few laptops in the house have already been set up on it. Anything else to be aware of or try?

Um, the WRG514 is a Netgear product, not a Linksys.

Did you test that your streaming is satisfactory? A stronger signal may not provide higher throughput.

Um, the WRG514 is a Netgear product, not a Linksys.

Did you test that your streaming is satisfactory? A stronger signal may not provide higher throughput.

So much going on with the new house and sizing up everything else got my model numbers confused. I did not test streaming at all since I'm mainly a game player, might try sometime soon.

So much going on with the new house and sizing up everything else got my model numbers confused. I did not test streaming at all since I'm mainly a game player, might try sometime soon.
Well, the proof will be in the actual application.

By the way, I'll be surprised if you'll be happy with gaming via wireless if you're doing anything that requires fast response. Wireless connection latency (lag) is usually close to 1ms. But it will increase greatly from time to time and without warning, usually related to wireless connection "housekeeping".

DD WRT firmware allows you to wirelessly bridge two routers together.

Put the firmware on your linksys router and use the client mode bridged feature.

I did some thinking on the wiring and actually figured out a way it wouldn't be too hard to go with a wired connection. So now I have the netgear wgr614v7 downstairs router/wireless ap and my Linksys wrt54gv5.0 router upstairs as a switch.

So now my next question is should I invest in a new router and switch combination? Reasons are better routing and also gigabit ethernet.

Reasons are better routing and also gigabit ethernet.
What's wrong with your routing?
Gigabit will definitely help if you are frequently moving large files around. Won't help for streaming (even video) since 100 Mbps Ethernet is plenty fast.

I would like to get the best performance routing and switching. I don't want to break the bank but the Netgear and Linksys are older designs and I know some routers have better routing capabilities and gigabit switches built in. In fact I am wondering if the linksys is better than the netgear are general routing.

Maybe I should describe my home network better -

Two desktop computers (wired)
One laptop (wireless)
Two Xbox 360 systems (wired)
One Dish 722 DVR

Internet link - Cable Modem 7mb down/400kb up

Again, what is the problem with your current routing? If the routers are fast enough for your Internet connection and you are experiencing no problem with any of the applications that you use, then there is no need to change.

You can buy a few 5 port gigabit switches, one for each location (up and downstairs) without upgrading the router. A built-in gigabit switch in the router offers no advantage since your Internet connection is only 7 Mbps down.

New, just for the sake of new, is not necessarily better.

Again, what is the problem with your current routing? If the routers are fast enough for your Internet connection and you are experiencing no problem with any of the applications that you use, then there is no need to change.

You can buy a few 5 port gigabit switches, one for each location (up and downstairs) without upgrading the router. A built-in gigabit switch in the router offers no advantage since your Internet connection is only 7 Mbps down.

New, just for the sake of new, is not necessarily better.

As to the problem, I have none at the moment just thought I would ask to make sure my setup and equipment was up to the task since the routers are older.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!