What's new

Help Plz: Asus RT-N66U Dark Night [Stuck in rescue mode]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ruski

Occasional Visitor
Need some help folks:

Asus RT-N66U was running older Merlin firmware (from 2013) until yesterday. Router had been on for 3+ months without a reboot, so i decided to restart yesterday. [stupid move]

It never came back up so after ~10min i pulled the plug and did a hard reset. The router has been stuck in "Rescue mode" since.

I have tried to flash the new 376.48 build, as well as original asus firmware, tomato, etc. No matter what firmware i try, the router goes back into "rescue mode" [Power LED blinking rapidly] as soon as i turn the power back on.

All i can do is put the router into the "recovery mode" by holding the reset button at reboot. I have tried the Web CFE Gui, Asus Firmware Restoration, TFTP to flash different version of firmware.

All transfers of firmware seem successful with all methods, transfer of firmware takes less than a minute, then another 10+ min its "recovering", then eventually the router reboots and the power LED just blinks rapidly, which i am interpretting as its just going back into "rescue mode".

I have also tried to clear NVRAM through CFE Gui multiple times, as well as the steps Merlin suggested in another thread by holding reset 5sec, wps 5 sec when booting into "rescue mode".

Am i just shirt out of luck now? I feel like i have tried everything....

Firmwares i have tried:
FW_RT_N66U_30043763602.trx
RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.48_1.trx [about to try the new *_3 version released today, but doubt it helps]
tomato-RT-N66U_RT-AC6x--123-AIO-64K.trx

Last edited:
What version of the firmware did you originally have?

You may need to be more patient while the router is in recovery mode - it can take up to an hour to flash new firmware like that.

I have left it for over an hour a few times. What's really throwing me off is that when I upload the firmware it only takes 10-20 seconds and the recovery process takes another ~7 minutes, then shortly thereafter the power LED is blinking rapidly and nothing changes even when left for hours.

I have only tried with Windows 8 PC's. Is that an issue?

If you're using IE it should not be an issue.

Again: what was the firmware that was loaded?

I'll check when I get back to my PC but it was about 3.0.0.4_260 range...

Browser wise I have only used Firefox and chrome so far. Should I be trying with IE instead?

Yes, use IE.

Damn, if that's the issue, I wasted a good 8 hours over two days so far Haha. Will report back after I try IE

ok, so i confirmed that the previous working Firmware was the Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.26 version.

I don't think i have a copy of that firmware, so can't try re-flashing it.

Should i be looking for that version to try?

Should i be trying to get the FW version thats listed on the back of my router as the factory default? (FW: 3.0.0.4.260) H/W Ver: B1

Any help would be appreciated :)

That version is from 18 months ago.

Try the latest 376.48_3 version.

When you do the reset/power on/wait/release, does the power light go into the slow blink that indicates Firmware Recovery or is it still fast blinking?

As I found out myself a week or so ago, the web-based ASUS firmware recovery tool can take a good 10-15 minutes to complete.

Out of interest, what country are you based in? I am in the EU and have an RT-N66U which is spare.

I had the same issue - an unsuccessful update and the unit stuck in recovery mode. I thought it was bricked too.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=18792

Hard to believe, but you are not waiting long enough. Using the Firmware Recovery tool, update to the latest version and wait. In my case it was just about 90 minutes.

While the upload progress meter is quick, the unit is doing something internally that's very slow. I can't remember what restoration utility says after the upload, but recall it complaining about timing out around 10 minutes. Ignore it any errors it throws after the successful upload.

And be patient! Go out to the movies so you're not around and feel compelled to touch it.

When you do the reset/power on/wait/release, does the power light go into the slow blink that indicates Firmware Recovery or is it still fast blinking?

As I found out myself a week or so ago, the web-based ASUS firmware recovery tool can take a good 10-15 minutes to complete.

Out of interest, what country are you based in? I am in the EU and have an RT-N66U which is spare.

Yup, i can get the router into "recovery mode" and the Asus CFE interface comes up, or the Asus Firmware Recovery tool detects the router.

I have left the router alone overnight twice after flashing this way, and several times for 2-3 hours. Every time i come back the power LED is blinking rapidly and i cant ping or tftp the router at all.

I had the same issue - an unsuccessful update and the unit stuck in recovery mode. I thought it was bricked too.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=18792

Hard to believe, but you are not waiting long enough. Using the Firmware Recovery tool, update to the latest version and wait. In my case it was just about 90 minutes.

While the upload progress meter is quick, the unit is doing something internally that's very slow. I can't remember what restoration utility says after the upload, but recall it complaining about timing out around 10 minutes. Ignore it any errors it throws after the successful upload.

And be patient! Go out to the movies so you're not around and feel compelled to touch it.

Wish that was the case for me haha. have left it alone overnight a few times to no success.

Might have to try and dig up my receipt and try to RMA.

At the risk of being redundant, the WPS reset has saved me several times (especially when I was playing with some of the first tomato releases).

Hold WPS button down when powering on until you get the fast blink (actually hold a bit longer than you think is necessary).

Release the WPS button and power down the router.

Hold reset button down when powering up and hopefully will get the slow blink.

If you have access to a Windows 7 machine, try that to run the Restoration Utility. (somewhere in the back of my mind I remember reading about a problem with Win 8 and the utility).

If you already tried this...sorry for the dup.

Hi,
When hard reset in this case hold down the button for few minutes. When f/w is being flashed, go for a cup of coffee and don't even look at it. Patience. This router is almost impossible to brick.... When it is in recovery mode, ping the router and note the TTL time.

Last edited:
Hi.

Not sure if this will be of help but it is worth a try. I have RT-AC66U that is stuck in recovery mode after a reboot and I also tried all the flashing scenarios as well with no luck.

Now, assuming your last firmware update via the Asus Recovery tool was successful, try updating again .. but .. this time stop the upload part way in @ 1% or so. Due to the differences in 66U/AC66U wait 10 seconds or more and if all goes well the router should reboot and hopefully bring you to the Asus start-up webui.

This procedure works every time for me. However, for me I still see the Power LED flashing in a slow and sometimes fast pace signifying Recovery Mode is just around the corner if I were to invoke a reboot or select a setting that initiates such!

Regards - PaCkEt

Hi,
When hard reset in this case hold down the button for few minutes. When f/w is being flashed, go for a cup of coffee and don't even look at it. Patience. This router is almost impossible to brick.... When it is in recovery mode, ping the router and note the TTL time.

When I get into recovery mode and can finally ping the router the TTL=100. I cannot ping the router in any other scenario tried so far.

When you say "hold the button for a few minutes", you mean hold the reset button, power on router and continue to hold reset for a few minutes?

Packet, I'll try stopping the upload right after I start it. Definitely not a conventional method I read about before. The % goes up quick so I doubt I can stop it at 1%, but since I guess the point is to interrupt the upload and force some sort of auto-reboot, I'll give it a shot.

Hi,
Yes, keep holding the button for few minutes. You can try TFTP method also.

Ruski - as I asked the other day - what country are you in?

I have an RT-N66U which is currently unused and you have spent long enough trying to get this one sorted now that it is surely time to look at a replacement.

Ruski - as I asked the other day - what country are you in?

I have an RT-N66U which is currently unused and you have spent long enough trying to get this one sorted now that it is surely time to look at a replacement.

Thanks for the offer Daniel, i forgot to reply to you when i read your msg originally. I am all the way in Canada, so wouldn't be worth it to ship, etc.