What's new

Help with Network Setup N & G

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bthessel

New Around Here
Ok so I have a new N Wireless Router/DSL Router.

attached are drawings of my current setup and proposed setup, thoughts? Will it work and give me what I want which is 2 wireless networks 1 at N speed and 1 at G? Also providing better coverage throughout my house for both?

Attachments

• current.pdf
    20.7 KB · Views: 222
  • proposed.pdf
    21.4 KB · Views: 215
Jeez, that's a lot of routers!

With all that WDS going, you are losing a lot of throughput. But it the speeds are working for you with 802.11g, I suppose you'll like draft 11n's speed better.

Get rid of the routers you don't need. For example, why the WRT54GS between the top DSL modem/wireless N and gig switch and why the WRT54GL connected to the N Router? Any why DDWRT running on the N Router?

Avoid double WDS hops. You lose more the 50% thoughput for each hop.

I don't have any double hops in me WDS right now. the big reason I was using WDS was to give network connectivity to a bunch of non-wireless network devices at different spots in my house. Don't know if the proposed drawing is not clear but I am trying to get down to just one WDS hop between the two N routers and chain the G routers off them. The reason I was going to do this was so that I could have Network1 be on the G routers and Network2 on the N routers so that items at G speed don't slow down the N stuff. Am I concerned about nothing? Most of my wireless devices are G speed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!