What's new

help! wrt400n vs rt-n13u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

claes

New Around Here
Hi, first post although long time reader. I currently own a wndr3500 and the wireless is terrible. I've been looking to upgrade for over a year when newegg sent me a $25 gift certificate, so now is the time!

My network:
two g clients
one n/gigabit client
one megabit/n server - always-on torrents (usually around ~80) and file/print server
comcast 12/2 on motorola sb6120

I live in a small apartment where most of the computers are 6'-12' away from the router and will for the foreseeable future so range is not much of a concern. I'll probably be using my wndr3500 as a wired router attached to the new one to maintain gigabit. Yes, my server needs a gigabit upgrade, but I am poor. I am very interested in dd-wrt but have never used it and am not sure what benefits I receive besides stability (will I get a performance increase over stock after tuning?). My largest concerns are speed, "snapiness" and the routers ability to handle a boat load of simultaneous connections, which both options appear to excel at. This might seem silly but after owning the wndr3500 for two years I would love a router that, you know, works.

I like the Asus for the slight speed bump but the Linksys for dual-band and dd-wrt support (won't have to purchase another router next year).

Also, the rev.B of the rt-n13u has not been reviewed by SNB, only rev.A. It is also, at this date, not supported by dd-wrt. Does twice the amount of ram and memory improve performance significantly, or should I just run with the future (twice the processor, twice the bands)? When looking at performance the charts I don't see much of a benefit to 5ghz-n...

Any thoughts, suggestions or even alternative purchasing options would be very helpful!

P.S. Probably don't want to spend over $75 on newegg, $50 elsewhere, don't mind refurbs

alright, i've changed my mind again and will be purchasing in the next couple of days:

dd-wrt/open-wrt/tomato is a must
dual-band not much of a concern unless someone tells me 5ghz is the future

rt-n16 vs wrt400n
also considering buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh

i have read about overheating and poor wireless performance with dd-wrt and tomato on rt-n16 but next to nothing on dd-wrt on the wrt400n

most clients will be n/gigabit by the end of the year and i'm buying this router for the long-run so any help would be appreciated

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!