What's new

Home Wireless Network Config Suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

synnyster

New Around Here
I'm about to get TimeWarner internet (switching from Verizon Fios w/built in wireless router). My old setup just had my verizon modem/G router in my office with 2 PCs hooked up via ethernet cables. I have my 360 and PS3 in the living room about 25 feet from the router that connected wirelessly. My wife also has a laptop with an internal G card and a couple of iPhone 3Gs that will use wifi.

Since I am going to buy new hardware, I want the ability to connect my DVR and WD TV Live HD media player to my network as well. What is the most efficient and economical way to do this? Should I buy 2 routers and place one in my office to hook up to the modem and place one in my living room as a wireless bridge and hook all my devices via ethernet?

If getting 2 routers is the way to go, what router do you guys suggest? I've been looking and the 2 options I have in mind so far are 2 Netgear WNDR3400s or 2 Netgear WNR3500Ls. I'm not sure if it will make a big difference which one I get. I know that the WNR3500L can run DD-WRT (never used) so it seems like it would be easy to set up what I'm planning.

Do I have a solid plan here? Are there other routers that would be better for my situation I'm overlooking? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Just an update on my results. I purchased 2 Netgear 3500L routers. I flashed them both to DD-WRT v24 fairly easily. Set one up as the primary router and the second one as a client bridge and run N only. I've put my Buffalo G router behind the primary and running a separate G network. So far it works great!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!