What's new

How do I set up AiMesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

czrabode

Occasional Visitor
I am so excited. I will be getting my second RT-AC86U today. I already set up the first one.

But how do I set it up for AiMesh? I plan on using a wired backhaul. Do I just connect it via Cat5 to my first AC86U and boot it up? How do I get to the configuration screen of the 2nd router? Will I get the chance to update the firmware?

A step-by-step guide would be much appreciated!

I am so excited. I will be getting my second RT-AC86U today. I already set up the first one.

But how do I set it up for AiMesh? I plan on using a wired backhaul. Do I just connect it via Cat5 to my first AC86U and boot it up? How do I get to the configuration screen of the 2nd router? Will I get the chance to update the firmware?

My install notes should help.

The current firmware requires adding the node first before deploying and wiring the backhaul. Soon, we'll be able to add nodes over the wired backhaul, which will save us from having to move a node near to the router for pairing via WPS.

Use Cat5e or better cable.

Basically, you prepare the routers first (update firmware, then reset), configure the router/root node, and then pair/add the remote node. You do not configure the remote node directly... it must be in a factory default condition.

Be sure to read the reset FAQ I link. Reset is sufficient, but if you fear other dirty data left behind, the GUI Initialize will reset AND clear miscellaneous logged data and whatever else. You might want to Initialize both routers for a very clean slate.

Do not restore an old configuration. Since AiMesh is evolving as we speak, some steps are a little heavy-handed but intended to avoid glitches.

And, the 86U default router login is at 192.168.50.1.

OE

Last edited:

first step make a firmware update to last 21140 on existing router!
Download and unzip firmware file on laptop.
Power on new router.
Only laptop connected via wifi to the new router, only neccessary settings (router mode) and manual update firmware via GUI.
Then go to Admin page and change mode to Aimesh NODE, apply finished with it.
Then plug ethernet from parent router LAN to new node WAN port.
On network map click Mesh, search for nodes, click on it, done.

Also you might want to tweak your settings with these steps:

1) Install a network stumbler in order to see your signal strenght.

2) Review the signal strength of both your routers on serveral spots in your house by walking around (write the data down)

3) Than tweak your broadcasting strength in your modem to make sure there is a reasonable gap in signal strength on the desired hand over points in you house (Wireless >> Profesional >> Tx power adjustment / make sure you adjust the 2.5 and the 5Ghz channel !). This is important as you need a reasonable difference in signal strength at the hand over sport in order to make a Mesh network work. Your bigest challenge is to adjust the transmission power in order to make sure that the area your modes are covering are overlapping but not so much that the handover space is as big as your house resulting in no handover at all. This is important as wifi is a two way street. Your modem can be broadcasting until the end of your street, your ipad is whispering back and therefore you still have a bad connection. So in a mesh network it is quality over signal strength.

4) Review the signal strength of both your routers to make sure there is a reasonable difference in DB at the desired hand over spots (at least 5 DB difference is my advice)

5) At the hand over spot lowest signal strenght you can now set your Roaming assistant to roam at a value at the lowest signal strenght (Wireless >> Profesional >> Roaming assistant / make sure you adjust the 2.5 and the 5Ghz channel !)

6) Make one more walk with your network stumbler to check if the handover is done correctly at the desired spots in your house

7) Continue tweaking (it took me about 6 runs to get it spot on) by looking at your modems log and network stumbler results while walking around the house.

Also you might want to tweak your settings with these steps:

1) Install a network stumbler in order to see your signal strenght.

2) Review the signal strength of both your routers on serveral spots in your house by walking around (write the data down)

3) Than tweak your broadcasting strength in your modem to make sure there is a reasonable gap in signal strength on the desired hand over points in you house (Wireless >> Profesional >> Tx power adjustment / make sure you adjust the 2.5 and the 5Ghz channel !). This is important as you need a reasonable difference in signal strength at the hand over sport in order to make a Mesh network work. Your bigest challenge is to adjust the transmission power in order to make sure that the area your modes are covering are overlapping but not so much that the handover space is as big as your house resulting in no handover at all. This is important as wifi is a two way street. Your modem can be broadcasting until the end of your street, your ipad is whispering back and therefore you still have a bad connection. So in a mesh network it is quality over signal strength.

4) Review the signal strength of both your routers to make sure there is a reasonable difference in DB at the desired hand over spots (at least 5 DB difference is my advice)

5) At the hand over spot lowest signal strenght you can now set your Roaming assistant to roam at a value at the lowest signal strenght (Wireless >> Profesional >> Roaming assistant / make sure you adjust the 2.5 and the 5Ghz channel !)

6) Make one more walk with your network stumbler to check if the handover is done correctly at the desired spots in your house

7) Continue tweaking (it took me about 6 runs to get it spot on) by looking at your modems log and network stumbler results while walking around the house.

The most recent 86U firmware 3.0.0.4.384_21140 does not offer Tx power adjustment in the GUI. Maybe the just released firmware 3.0.0.4.384_32797 does... I doubt it.

OE

The most recent 86U firmware 3.0.0.4.384_21140 does not offer Tx power adjustment in the GUI. Maybe the just released firmware 3.0.0.4.384_32797 does... I doubt it.

OE

Correct, there has never been a power-slider on 86U, neither in 15098 nor in last 32979 (EDIT: correct 32797).

And my RSSI is jumping up to 20db, so I assume they have done some auto-power and measurements are not reliable.

Last edited:
got it, you can keep the typo - have no use for it myself :p
not my day today together with bad english -> you just see the results.