What's new

How do you "remote" edit files on your router in a GUI editor on your Mac/PC?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

XIII

Very Senior Member
So far I have been mainly using vi to edit files on my ASUS router (in an SSH session on the command line), but I would prefer a GUI editor (with syntax highlighting, etc.) on my Mac/PC.

Visual Studio Code has support for remotely editing files over SSH, but I don't think my AC86U router satisfy the requirements for the remote machine :( (I have it working for a Raspberry Pi)

How do you "remote" edit files on your router in a GUI editor on your Mac/PC?

I use WinSCP to remote into the router, then open the target script with Notepad++

I love it. A lot nicer working with Bash/Ash files in Notepad. I keep a second SSH shell open to actually run/test the script I am working on

I use WinSCP to remote into the router, then open the target script with Notepad++

I love it. A lot nicer working with Bash/Ash files in Notepad. I keep a second SSH shell open to actually run/test the script I am working on
+ 1 Win SCP & Notepad++ mostly used for router/ iPhone jailbreaking stuff =

Yes, I recently started using similar (transfer) tools on my Mac: ForkLift & Transmit (and then editing files using Sublime Text or Visual Studio Code).

And even more recently I used an editor that has limited transfer support included: Nova.

As much as I hate Electron, I still seem to prefer Visual Studio Code over Nova, so it would be great if VSCode had an all-in-one solution for our routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!