What's new

How to access SSH from WAN IP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stebrick

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I could perfectly have SSH control over the router via the local network by using PUTTY. However, I am unable to get SSH control via my WAN IP and port 22 (as shown in the router, correct me if I’ve done anything wrong).

I tried the “ASUS Router SSH WAN Access Using SSH Keys” section of this tutorial http://www.htpcguides.com/enable-ssh-asus-routers-without-ssh-keys/, save that I do not enable the SSH Authentication Key (which I believe this isn’t an issue). When I try to connect my router by entering my WAN IP into the box “Host Name (or IP address)” in PUTTY (windows version), it gives me this error message: “Network error: Connection timed out”

Would be grateful if someone could let me know the correct steps.

My goodness , that tutorial omits one important step. The option of "Allow SSH Port Forwarding" in the Administration tab wont enable the port forwarding itself. You still have to manually set the port forwarding in WAN Network>Virtual Server.

I am so silly man. Problem solved. Hope one day someone like me who searches for a similar solution will see this post.

that tutorial omits one important step. The option of "Allow SSH Port Forwarding" in the Administration tab wont enable the port forwarding itself.

That's not what this option is for. This option is for tunneling traffic through an SSH connection - it's unrelated to the router's wan access.

You don't need to forward any port - just set ssh to "WAN+LAN" on the System page, and that's all you'll need. Note that you will also need to test it from outside your network to properly test it.

That's not what this option is for. This option is for tunneling traffic through an SSH connection - it's unrelated to the router's wan access.

You don't need to forward any port - just set ssh to "WAN+LAN" on the System page, and that's all you'll need. Note that you will also need to test it from outside your network to properly test it.

Yes, it's already been set as "WAN + LAN" before I perform the port forwarding on port 22.

I dun know why I must manually do the port forwarding in WAN before making it work. What's the possible reason?

Yes, it's already been set as "WAN + LAN" before I perform the port forwarding on port 22.

I dun know why I must manually do the port forwarding in WAN before making it work. What's the possible reason?

None that I can think of. Are you testing from outside of your network?

ISP could be blocking port 22 for security reasons?

Regards