What's new

How to change language of latest firmware of AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Choose Telnet option instead on Putty or enable SSH on Adminstration tab, you are trying to connect via SSH which is disabled on GUI.

I downloaded putty already. I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong but I put my IP "192.168.1.1" to the host name. But I still get an error message. See attached pics:

putty_error.png

putty.png

telnet.png
And you need to enter password

https://mediatemple.net/community/products/dv/204404604/using-ssh-in-putty-

That shouldn't be happening after a RESET, which means something is wrong with FW 3264 code. Do it the hard way then:

To know what language is set:

# nvram get preferred_lang (it should be JP)

To set the language:

# nvram set preferred_lang=EN
# nvram commit
# reboot

Probably after this you will see the language option available on GUI.

Hi again, tried your suggestion.
putty.png

The indicated preferred language is JP.

Although I tried your suggestion, it still opens back as Japanese. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong right now...

You are not, downgrade it to previous FW version and it will be fixed.

Downgrading since 380.3264 is more difficult now

You can't roll back through the GUI as you will get the incompatible firmware message but you can roll back through the CFE miniWeb Server or with the Asus Restoration Tools

Last edited:
I'm using a AC68U bought in Japan too and I'm having the same problem.
Downgrading to 3.0.0.4_380_1842 solved it. Obviously something is wrong with 380.3264.

Indeed.

Downgrading since 380.3264 is more difficult now

You can't roll back through the GUI as you will get the incompatible firmware message but you can roll back through the CFE miniWeb Server or with the Asus Restoration Tools
I'm using a AC68U bought in Japan too and I'm having the same problem.
Downgrading to 3.0.0.4_380_1842 solved it. Obviously something is wrong with 380.3264.

Yes, this indeed solves my problem. Thank you very much! :D

Sorry to bump this... but same issue is still occurring with the latest FW release, I have a RT-AC88U.
When I bought it, easily could change it to English with the language menu and with the latest FW updates, the menu has been removed from the Japanese versions.

Do we have any way of filing some sort of report aside from the report you can file from inside the menu system of the router itself? This really seems like a stupid thing to have overlooked and/or to exclude all languages except Japanese in Japan. (While I can use Japanese, I just prefer to have simple stuff like this in English......)

Thanks.

As odd as it might seem, this was done on purpose by Asus. Routers with a JP region will no longer allow you to change to a different language. The reasons behind this change are apparently marketing-related.

I lifted that restriction within my firmware, since I don't have a marketing department dictating me silly things to do.

As odd as it might seem, this was done on purpose by Asus. Routers with a JP region will no longer allow you to change to a different language. The reasons behind this change are apparently marketing-related.

I lifted that restriction within my firmware, since I don't have a marketing department dictating me silly things to do.

Should I be able to flash my Japan RT-AC88U with your firmware with no issue? (Considered this option and you've confirmed it with this reply... better option to use this than wait for Asus to resolve this..)

This is typical Japan crap with the language options... so many products here just simply have language option disabled or stuck at Japanese only when the same product elsewhere has other languages and Japanese available.

better option to use this than wait for Asus to resolve this..)

Since this was deliberately done by Asus, there's nothing from their point of view to fix - it's how they want it to work. So unless they have a change of heart, this isn't gonna change in the future.

Since this was deliberately done by Asus, there's nothing from their point of view to fix - it's how they want it to work. So unless they have a change of heart, this isn't gonna change in the future.

Thanks and I understood your point.

I went ahead and dispatched a lengthy write-up to ASUS in three different areas both in English and Japanese. If nothing happens, nothing happens... it will just mean I need to change things up if I want something English. We do have a mix of choices for routers, but outside brands come and go depending on what kind of sales they can get here. ASUS, has held on pretty good but it's hard to find it on shelves sometimes. (order online is fine, usually)

Sorry for the back-to-pack posts. I got a reply ASUS last last night Japan time.

They acknowledged the issue and believe it's a technical oversight.
Anyway, I got two ID's for this issue and we'll see what happens. At least, I can follow this up with them.

Thanks all.

I have a 68U bought in Japan just few weeks ago. I flashed Asuswrt-Merlin rom right away and it has language menu where it should be (upper right). You can always switch to this rom instead of stock firmware by flashing it normally.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!