What's new

How to change WAN MAC?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routerawes

New Around Here
I'm trying to change my N66U WAN MAC but am not able to find a setting to do so. Is there a setting somewhere for me to do this? Do I need to create a script to do it on boot? (If yes what is the command to change it?)

My goal is to force my ISP to give me a new IP address (since it would be a new MAC). I am constantly being port scanned and it's killing my bandwidth. My ISP says the only way to do this is to unplug my cable modem for 24 hours, which seem to be a little much.

Any assistance or help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for both the options on this. Good news, I got the MAC changed successfully and a new IP. Bad news, still being port scanned. It must be happening to an entire IP range. It was worth a shot. Thanks again. :)

Thanks for both the options on this. Good news, I got the MAC changed successfully and a new IP. Bad news, still being port scanned. It must be happening to an entire IP range. It was worth a shot. Thanks again. :)

Port scanning happens to the whole Internet.

What IP is port-scanning you? Is it outside the ISP? Is someone trying to DDOS-attack you?

Can't the ISP set up a rule for it in their firewall? Or you in your firewall?, or send a fake "closed" packet on open ports or simply not answer them (its called stealth-mode i think, or port-spoofing)? I think its possible to do that in the GUI somewhere if i'm not mistaken.