What's new

How to really clean VPN client settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vince

Occasional Visitor
After running a VPN-client for months on my RT-AC86U , I noticed connection was lost so decided:
1. upgrade from 384.7_0 to 384.7_2
2. After successful update I did a factory default <Initialize>

Now somehow the VPN client settings are not completely cleared see printscreen below.
Also selecting "Default" in the VPN client settings does not remove the data.

How to get a complete 100% clean start ?

upload_2018-10-25_9-10-58.png

Last edited:
Try “Restore” and/or “Initialize” again and make sure to manually reboot each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you meant with "manually reboot each time"
What I did was:

1. "Initialize" again.
2. After that the new Asus configuration screen appears.
3. now on router button off, waiting and button on
4. Set basic configuration

Now all data is cleared/cleaned, guess missing point 3 caused my troubles, thank you very much!

“Manually reboot” meant what you wrote on step 3 [emoji3]

I'm getting crazy here, same old VPN data back again in VPN client settings but second "Initialize" plus Manual reboot does not clear data now
This is really very strange, somehow I'm not succeeding in completely clearing the data.
Could it be that 384.7_2 and 384.7_0 do not clear VPN settings completely?

The Service state is correct (185.38.13.167) = imported OpenVPN file.
The Description was changed to old data (was NL234NordVPNtcp)
The server Address was changed to old data and should also be 185.38.13.167
Altough Server address 85.159.237.49 is displayed it is connected and working on 185.38.13.167

upload_2018-10-25_15-29-51.png

Last edited:
Have you tried to reinstall your firmware or even upgrade to a newer one if there is one? Try that to see if that corrects your problem.

By the way, you may want to consider using xxxxxxxxx1194udp.ovpn servers in your NordVPN client configuration instead of the 443 ones. You will get better speeds that way.

In the meanwhile I downgraded from 384.7_2 to 384.7_0, after manual reboot all VPN client entries where blank again, to be sure I ran "Default"on (empty) clients and started a new entry on Client 1.
All went well:

1. placed "NL234NordVPNtcp" in description,
2. after upload of the OpenVPN-file the correct server address 185.38.13.167 was placed in "Server Address an Port"
3. after further configuration and "Apply" the "Selected client instance" changed from "Client 1" to NL234NordVPNtcp" as defined in Descripion.
4. after selecting "ON"in Service state" it connected fine with VPN-server and all fields remained the same.

Now I exit router and did a manual reboot
When I then return to VPN-settings fields Description and Server Address and Port (amongst others) were changed to old entries used by configuration before factory reset as you can see on printscreen in my previous message. Also these old configuration data is added in Client 2 until 5, causing all kind of problems when changing or adding a client.
Now selecting "Default" in Client 2 until 5 do not clear the old data in there anymore.

I really do not understand where this old data is coming from after factory reset unless factory reset does not clear everything.
Thanks for your patience!

BTW tcp.ovpn works great reducing speed from standard 100Mbs without VPN to 95Mps with tcp-VPN, so with the added stability I prefer tcp.

Last edited:
somehow solved my problem.
As old data kept reappearing after factory resets, I thought maybe it has to do something with cashed data, so first cleared (besides chrome) up all computer cashes.
This did not solve the problem, then I decided to use another computer to configure VPN-Clients and bingo, VPN client settings are clean and no old data reappears while and after configurating.

@Marin , thanks for your help!