How to Setup DDNS with Freedns.afraid.org

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Mike S

Regular Contributor
I am running Ver 384.18 of Asus Merlin on my router. I am trying to setup DDNS using freedns.afraid.org. I have created an account on freedns.org and have created the subdomain, but I am having a hard time understanding how to set this up on the Asus router. Specifically, what should be in the host name field?

Wallace_n_Gromit

I am running Ver 384.18 of Asus Merlin on my router. I am trying to setup DDNS using freedns.afraid.org. I have created an account on freedns.org and have created the subdomain, but I am having a hard time understanding how to set this up on the Asus router. Specifically, what should be in the host name field?
The subdomain, in my case [xxxxxxxxxx.chickenkiller.com]

Attachments

• Web capture_30-3-2021_102645_192.168.66.1.jpeg
    Web capture_30-3-2021_102645_192.168.66.1.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

dosborne

Very Senior Member
Although I'm sure the one posted above works fine, I used a different approach, one that I can also run on a number of other systems within my network (I'm also running double NAT so this works better for me)

Create a script: /jffs/scripts/ddns-start
chmod u+x /jffs/scripts/ddns-start

Contents of script (modify the "hash" to match the one for your account)
Code:
#!/bin/sh
curl --silent "https://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?allhZmlxETkRDcEsksksXOjE5MDU5NDg5" > /jffs/scripts/ddns-start.log 2>&1
# reporting results to router
if [ $? -eq 0 ];
then
    /sbin/ddns_custom_updated 1
else
    /sbin/ddns_custom_updated 0
fi

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-30-22-40-31-137~2.jpeg
    Screenshot_2021-03-30-22-40-31-137~2.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 109