How to update to the latest version of Merlin?

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Aquillyne

Occasional Visitor
For the life of me I can't find a simple explanation of the upgrade process from one version of Asuswrt-Merlin to the next. I just don't want to mess it up. Can someone let me know the steps?

Jeffrey Young

Very Senior Member
Start with reviewing the release notes for all version starting with what you currently have and the version you are going too. If you need to do any full reset/setup from scratch due to firmware changes, it will generally say there.

If nothing is said, and you are not updating any more than one or two version jumps (this is subjective), you can just flash over the existing firmware and reboot the router.

Now, monitor things. If everything is working great and issue free, fantastic. If you start getting weird issues or troubles, you may have to do a reset and reconfigure the router from scratch. Don't use a saved config as that will just put back and settings or corruption that is causing the issue.

Hope this helps some.

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture

eibgrad

Very Senior Member
First step, make a backup of your current config and have a download of your currently installed firmware available, regardless whether you do a clean or dirty upgrade (that's always hotly debated around here). Nothing worse than having things go wrong and no way to return to the prior working configuration.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture

Aquillyne

Occasional Visitor
Start with reviewing the release notes for all version starting with what you currently have and the version you are going too. If you need to do any full reset/setup from scratch due to firmware changes, it will generally say there.

If nothing is said, and you are not updating any more than one or two version jumps (this is subjective), you can just flash over the existing firmware and reboot the router.

No obvious note in recent changelog saying "full reset required".

So, I literally just download the latest firmware and use the "manual firmware update: upload" button? – it almost seems too simple!

First step, make a backup of your current config and have a download of your currently installed firmware available, regardless whether you do a clean or dirty upgrade (that's always hotly debated around here). Nothing worse than having things go wrong and no way to return to the prior working configuration.

I don't see the point of backing up my settings first, given that all advice says "don't try to restore settings from a backup made in a prior version". I guess the update will do its best to preserve settings? – and I should just note them down so I can go through and check?

Thanks for your help.

eibgrad

Very Senior Member
I don't see the point of backing up my settings first, given that all advice says "don't try to restore settings from a backup made in a prior version". I guess the update will do its best to preserve settings? – and I should just note them down so I can go through and check?

I'm suggesting you backup the current config in case things go so badly (or you encounter a significant regression; it happens) you have to return to the OLD firmware! Restoring a backup to the same firmware from which is was created is perfectly safe. It's the reason backups exist at all.

apvm

Regular Contributor
Sorry to highjack this thread, I have the GT-AC2900 and latest official Asus firmware, do I just flash merlin over official and can I load official config backup to merlin? Thanks.