What's new

IPVanish not working after Merlin upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jkh829

New Around Here
My Asus RT-AC88U is running AsusWRT-Merlin firmware version 386.9. This version allows me to use IPVANISH with no problem.
When I upgraded to any newer version of AsuWR-Merlin especially the latest version 386.12_4, I cannot run IPVANISH on my RT-AC88U.

I reset my RT-AC88U to factory settings after flashing the firmware with no luck. The only version that seems to work is is 386.9.

If anyone had a similar problem, please share with me how you solved this issue.

Look for error messages in the router's System Log.

Do you have this error?

Look for error messages in the router's System Log.

Do you have this error?

I'm a bit of a newbie whose been using Asus routers for years, though unlike most in this forum, don't use VPN, have numerous devices to connect with and from what I can tell, have little need for the list of features. My primary interest in range/throughput performance so I'm curious if changing to Merlin can improve it. I've read about newbies like myself who have bricked their routers when installing it. That said, it appears Asus is no longer issuing firmware updates for my AX-68U which is the best router of any I've owned. Thanks and my apologies if this seems like a lame question

@jontalk I think you've posted your question in the wrong thread. This thread is about a problem with the IPVanish VPN client running on an RT-AC88U.

Tell IPVanish to update their stuff. Keysize hasn`t been doing anything for many years (ever since everyone moved from Blowfish to AES), and it's been removed since OpenVPN 2.6 that was released like a year ago now.

I'm a bit of a newbie whose been using Asus routers for years, though unlike most in this forum, don't use VPN, have numerous devices to connect with and from what I can tell, have little need for the list of features. My primary interest in range/throughput performance so I'm curious if changing to Merlin can improve it. I've read about newbies like myself who have bricked their routers when installing it. That said, it appears Asus is no longer issuing firmware updates for my AX-68U which is the best router of any I've owned. Thanks and my apologies if this seems like a lame question
should be no changes in range and throughput , if there is a Merlin FW for your router I doubt you will brick it , been using Merlin for over 12 years have yet to brick a router using or updating to Merlin

should be no changes in range and throughput , if there is a Merlin FW for your router I doubt you will brick it , been using Merlin for over 12 years have yet to brick a router using or updating to Merlin
Thanks. Since Asus recently released an ASWRT update, all is well though it was working fine before the update too