What's new

I can't connect to my ISP with firmware RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_378.50_0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VVS

Regular Contributor
Hi!

I tried to update firmvare from RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.47_0 to RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_378.50_0

But on RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_378.50_0 I have error "Too many retransmission..." and I can't connect to my provider.

I return to RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.47_0 - all works without problem.

I have checked - firmware RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.48_1, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.48_3, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_0, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_2, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_4, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5 have the same error.

Did you do the required reset to factory defaults and then manually enter the minimum required information to connect to your ISP and also secure your router?

Did you do the required reset to factory defaults and then manually enter the minimum required information to connect to your ISP and also secure your router?
Yes, of course.
HINT: At previous firmwares problem also exists.

Have you left the modem without power for at least 30 minutes after switching firmware versions and resetting?

Beeline just has a twisted way of providing Internet access. They rely on both DHCP and PPTP/L2TP.

First, the router has to obtain a DHCP lease, along with DNS IPs. That IP and those DNS are not public. Those DNS servers are unable to resolve public IPs, they can only be used to resolve the ISP's PPTP/L2TP server IPs, so the router can then establish a PPTP or L2TP tunnel with the ISP, obtaining a new (public) IP, and public DNS servers.

Long ago, I tried for a few evenings to sort out how this all worked to attempt to resolve issues it had at the time, even creating a reproduction of Beeline's server infrastructure (meaning a VM having both DHCP and PPTP servers), and I was able to get it working.

A few months later, it broke again. I decided then I didn't want to spend another 2-3 nights trying to troubleshoot what amounts to be a totally messed up ISP architecture. Sorry.

Beeline just has a twisted way of providing Internet access. They rely on both DHCP and PPTP/L2TP.

First, the router has to obtain a DHCP lease, along with DNS IPs. That IP and those DNS are not public. Those DNS servers are unable to resolve public IPs, they can only be used to resolve the ISP's PPTP/L2TP server IPs, so the router can then establish a PPTP or L2TP tunnel with the ISP, obtaining a new (public) IP, and public DNS servers.
I know it.:(

Long ago, I tried for a few evenings to sort out how this all worked to attempt to resolve issues it had at the time, even creating a reproduction of Beeline's server infrastructure (meaning a VM having both DHCP and PPTP servers), and I was able to get it working.

A few months later, it broke again. I decided then I didn't want to spend another 2-3 nights trying to troubleshoot what amounts to be a totally messed up ISP architecture. Sorry.
Thanks for your reply.
I will not torment you.:)

PS
It's strange, but with firmware RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.47_0 all works without problem.

PS
It's strange, but with firmware RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.47_0 all works without problem.

There are so many changes from Asus with each new GPL merge that it's impossible for me to understand them all.

There are so many changes from Asus with each new GPL merge that it's impossible for me to understand them all.
OK, TNX
This is an interesting idea - I'll check the firmwares from ASUS and talked with their customer service.:D

OK, TNX
This is an interesting idea - I'll check the firmwares from ASUS and talked with their customer service.:D
Probably a good idea. Reproduce the problem with the stock firmware, at which point you can have Asus look into it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It is an interesting situation.
I decided to check the firmware from ASUS 3.0.0.4.376_3754 - no problems.

I rebooted the router several times to connect with different brases - with firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3754 from ASUS no problem.

The latest firmware for the N66U from ASUS is using the 376 code base.

ASUS don't appear to have released a firmware for the N66U based on the 378 release. So as ASUS don't support the 378 code base on the N66U you're probably not going to get much help from them.

You're probably better sticking with Merlins previous build.

The latest firmware for the N66U from ASUS is using the 376 code base.

ASUS don't appear to have released a firmware for the N66U based on the 378 release. So as ASUS don't support the 378 code base on the N66U you're probably not going to get much help from them.

You're probably better sticking with Merlins previous build.
In the first post of this topic I wrote:
I return to RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.47_0 - all works without problem.

I have checked - firmware RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.48_1, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.48_3, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_0, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_2, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_4, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5 have the same error.

Another thing to check - if you had DNSFilter enabled, then try disabling it. I'm unsure yet if it wouldn't prevent name resolution for your L2TP server from working.

I reverted all the changes I did two years ago specifically for Beeline (back then it resolved various problems specific to that ISP). Let me know if it works any better this way.

You can grab a test build here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gc2s7g84h9gc838/RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_378.51_alpha2.zip

Very easy to determine that something is not working - just need one case.
With this firmware (RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_378.51_alpha2) everything works yet.
I need a few days to respond accurately.

Another thing to check - if you had DNSFilter enabled, then try disabling it. I'm unsure yet if it wouldn't prevent name resolution for your L2TP server from working.

I think I don't need to do this already?

I think I don't need to do this already?

No, just test with the alpha 2 test build for a day or two for now, and let me know if it does keep working properly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!