What's new

IP address resveration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Don't assign static IP addresses unless you have a reason to do so. So many people create IP conflicts by incorrectly (and unnecessarily) setting static IP addresses.

DHCP does a perfectly good job of managing IP addresses for most devices (PC's, phones, laptops. etc - wired or wireless).

If you do need to have a fixed IP address for something, like a server you're running that you want to access from the internet, then go ahead and use the method in the link you posted. For everything else use DHCP.

You don't give any information about the errors you are getting or your setup. With more information we might be able to suggest a solution.

Last edited:
I did not give much information cause I was not sure what was needed. My network starts at a comcast modem ,asus router, 8 ports switch which feed house and garage. House pc's all hardwired, many laptop and mobile devices. Garage has a hard wired wireless access point (linksys wrt54g) , 4 hikvision ip cam 2032 hardwired.

If I use the method listed it will be for ip camera , access point, all hard wired desktop. That should keep me out of conflicts?

What else can I provide?

If I use the method listed it will be for ip camera , access point, all hard wired desktop. That should keep me out of conflicts?

What else can I provide?
OK, there's nothing wrong with that idea. But you still haven't described the conflicts you are having, therefore there's no way of knowing whether that will solve your problem.

IP conflicts usually indicate that there is something on your network that has been incorrectly configured. The solution would be to fix that one device, not change other devices.

How are you seeing these IP conflicts?

Not sure what's causing it but is the hardwired PC different ones at different times show IP conflict .they are all Windows 7

Can you give the exact error message please. There are a couple of "IP conflict" errors that describe completely different things.

Do you have any devices on your network where their IP address is set on the device itself, rather than getting it from the ASUS's DHCP? (camera?)

By default the router will think it has exclusive control of all available IP addresses (192.168.1.2 - 254). If you have set the address of the camera or access point on those devices, the DHCP server won't know that and may hand out their address to something else.

PS Must sleep now. It's 3am. :eek:

Both the asus router and the wireless wrt54g could be configured as a DHCP server. Be sure that only one is configured, and the other is not enabled.

Can you give the exact error message please. There are a couple of "IP conflict" errors that describe completely different things.

Do you have any devices on your network where their IP address is set on the device itself, rather than getting it from the ASUS's DHCP? (camera?)

By default the router will think it has exclusive control of all available IP addresses (192.168.1.2 - 254). If you have set the address of the camera or access point on those devices, the DHCP server won't know that and may hand out their address to something

Next time the message appears i will post it.
Yes the ip camera are set on devices.so i can view it in blue iris.

i will put them and all the hardwired pc as the video states. that seems easy compared to manually assigning ip to every hardwired device , then changing router to not use those ip's

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!