What's new

iptv, vlan and igmp snooping problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigeyes0x0

Me again with more weird configuration :D.

This time I'm trying to setup IPTV VLAN to go to a bunch of rooms in my house without resorting to a smart/managed switch as I found out my RT-AC56U has a VLAN capable switch with supposedly working IGMP Snooping. I'm running Merlin 380.59 latest firmware. It has been working great for me.

My ISP WAN config:
- VLAN 2588 for PPPoE Internet service.
- VLAN 1100 for IPTV service should be bridge to ports for respective rooms.

What I want:
- Port 3, 4 directly to STBs with VLAN 1100 untagged.
- Port 1 to my room with both VLAN 1100 tagged and Internet after PPPoE client inside RT-AC56U
- IGMP Snooping on VLAN 1100 ports.

What I came up with:
- Setup in router webui LAN -> IPTV:
. Select ISP profile: manual
. Internet: 2588 (prio is not important)
. LAN port 4: 1100 (prio is not important)
. LAN port 3: leave blank
- Set up with wan-start custom script:
Code:
admin@RT-AC56U-84E0:/tmp/home/root# cat /jffs/scripts/wan-start
#!/bin/sh

robocfg vlan 1100 ports "0t 2 3 4t"
robocfg vlan 1 ports "0 1 5t"
So I have this switch config:
Code:
admin@RT-AC56U-84E0:/tmp/home/root# robocfg show
Switch: enabled
Port 0: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac:
Port 1:  DOWN enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Port 2: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1100 jumbo: off mac:
Port 3: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1100 jumbo: off mac:
Port 4:  100FD enabled stp: none vlan: 2 jumbo: off mac:
Port 8:  DOWN enabled stp: none vlan: 2 jumbo: off mac: 00:00:00:00:00:00
VLANs: BCM5301x enabled mac_check mac_hash
  1: vlan1: 0 1 5t
  2: vlan2: 4 5
  56: vlan56: 0t 1 2 3
  57: vlan57: 3t 4t 7t 8t
  58: vlan58: 2 3 4t
  59: vlan59: 0 1t 2 3t 4
  60: vlan60: 0t 1t 3t 5 7
  61: vlan61: 0t 2 3t 4 5 7 8u
  62: vlan62: 0 2 3t 4 5t 8u
1100: vlan1100: 0t 2 3 4t
2588: vlan2588: 4t 5t

Now all the stuffs work as expected except for IGMP Snooping. No matter what combination of settings I set in webui LAN -> IPTV for IGMP Snooping and IGMP Proxy (which is for L3 which is not relevant but tried anyway), multicast broadcast control is not applied.

So my question is can we apply IGMP Snooping on a specific VLAN like on a lot of smart/managed switch? If we can then how can I go and do that?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

This time I'm trying to setup IPTV VLAN to go to a bunch of rooms in my house without resorting to a smart/managed switch as I found out my RT-AC56U has a VLAN capable switch with supposedly working IGMP Snooping. I'm running Merlin 380.59 latest firmware. It has been working great for me.

Just buy a managed switch and be done with it...

Netgear GS-108's are pretty awesome at what they do - even 8 years later - they just work... and many here in the community know how the make the most of that switch...

Well I do have a LGS308 from Linksys which I have chosen after considering options from Cisco, Linksys, Netgear, and TP-Link. I also have a TP-Link SG105E for my room which split the trunk with Internet and IPTV to respective devices. I have set them up with the AC56U for the config in OP and they works well functionality wise. The problem here is the LGS308 uses a fair a mount of energy and putting that load on my UPS will shorten the time that our network can stay on battery from over 4 hours just over 2 hours. My place tends to have power outage in the range 3 and 4 hours so it would make a difference there although as stated in OP, it's indeed a rare/weird configuration.

So back on track, I'd appreciate it if anyone knows how to set IGMP Snooping on specific VLAN on Broadcom AsusWRT product and can share it with me.

Last edited:
After fumbling about in asuswrt-merlin code and trying various settings inside webui and command line. Finally I managed to work it out.

My ISP WAN config:
- VLAN 2588 for PPPoE Internet service.
- VLAN 1100 for IPTV service should be bridge to ports for respective rooms.

What I want:
- Port 3, 4 directly to STBs with VLAN 1100 untagged.
- Port 1 to my room with both VLAN 1100 tagged and Internet after PPPoE client inside RT-AC56U
- IGMP Snooping on VLAN 1100 ports.

What I do:
- Disable IGMP snooping and IGMP proxy.
- Setup in router webui LAN -> IPTV:
. Select ISP profile: manual
. Internet: 2588 (prio is not important)
. LAN port 4: 1100 (prio is not important)
. LAN port 3: leave blank
- Set up with services-start custom script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

robocfg vlan 1100 ports "0t 2 3 4t 5t"
robocfg vlan 1 ports "0 1 5t"
vconfig add eth0 1100
ifconfig vlan1100 up
snooper -s vlan1100
We don't need wan-start script because we only need to apply above commands once at services-start.

Related stuffs when I fumbled about:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...4ce0e060/release/src/router/snooper/snooper.c
Main hang up was I forgot to pass multicast packets to CPU internal ethernet port. Fix that with the first robocfg command in the script.

If you have similar configuration you can just change VLAN IDs for internet and iptv respectively. For different Broadcom router model, you would need to figure out the LAN, WAN and chipset internal ethernet ports and change those as appropriate.

Last edited:
hello, i have two cables connect from my ISP modem to asus router....one cable is for internet(WAN), second is for IPTV(LAN4)....i see there i have same VLAN number for internet and IPTV...i would like to change LAN4 to different VLAN number....could be 1 or 3....how can i change that? is there a working script for my case?

pSR39q.png

- Disable IGMP snooping and IGMP proxy.

How to watch IPTV on your computer ?

My ISP WAN config:
- VLAN 3002 for PPPoE Internet service.
- VLAN 3,4 port 1520 for IPTV service.

anyone know how to change VLAN2 to VLAN1 for LAN4 port?