What's new

Is this AC3100 dead?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

p3matty

Occasional Visitor
Purchased a used Asus AC3100 - can't get it to do anything, really. Plug in and turn on, the front WAN light (4th from the left on top) turns on for a second or two, then goes off and only power light (1st on left on top) turns on solid. That's the only light on no matter what buttons I push. If I do that same thing over while pushing reset button, after 10 seconds or so power led does blink slowly, so you'd think that I'm in rescue mode, but ASUS firmware restore software can't see it. Going to 192.168.1.1 when wired (and wireless on computer is off) does nothing, same with router.asus.com. I can't see it anywhere.

Anyway to force firmware update via usb port or something? Any ideas to test if it's doing anything? Or might I have purchased a brick?

Wifi off on PC is well done, have you set fix IP on PC-LAN to 192.168.1.10 and connected to a LAN port of modem (not WAN)?
Run restauration as admin, and start search modem after you set router in rescue mode. Play with ethernet plug in before and after start rescue on router.

Don't know if it's dead. But it's not operating correctly.

Return it if you can. No sense messing with it.

Would if I could, but purchased second hand. Very well could be why they were selling it (claimed no longer needed as internet provider gave them modem/router to use). Have contacted Asus support, we'll see where that goes (by e-mail, do they have support chat available?).

Yes to poster above - I did fix IP on PC to that very address, connected to each of the 4 LAN ports on router, never gave me an IP address for gateway, only for PC adapter. Will mess with it a bit more today to see if I can get any further.

Would if I could, but purchased second hand. Very well could be why they were selling it (claimed no longer needed as internet provider gave them modem/router to use). Have contacted Asus support, we'll see where that goes (by e-mail, do they have support chat available?).

Yes to poster above - I did fix IP on PC to that very address, connected to each of the 4 LAN ports on router, never gave me an IP address for gateway, only for PC adapter. Will mess with it a bit more today to see if I can get any further.

Since it’s second hand it’s probably out of the warranty window? If that’s the case pop the case open to see if there are any damaged components you can observe visually.

Talked with seller (from facebook marketplace) and they've agreed to take it back as it's not working. I'll likely just do that. Didn't know if I could force a reset with a particular button pushing/holding, or if I could force a firmware load from USB somehow. Just couldn't find any way to tap into it from hardwired computer.

Guess my AI mesh network will have to remain a pair of 68U's for now!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!