What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on 5.1 Beta testing poll

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you want to beta test Kamoj add-on v5.1b1?

• No, I don't trust 3rd party software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't use the Voxel firmware

• No, I don't like your add-on

• Total voters
What actions have you taken to help find out what is wrong?
As a beta tester I hope you can help somewhat.
E.g.:
What router you use?
Tried stock FW?
Uninstalled add-on and tried?
What is last working version?
etc.
  • Router is R9000.
  • If I'm going to install Netgear's firmware, I may as well delete your add-on and stay using the stock version that doesn't have constant bugs that require me to wipe the router and re-configure it from factory settings.
  • Uninstalling the add-on does not allow QOS to work. Neither does removing your settings from NVRAM. The router needs to be factory reset, install stock firmware, factory reset again, and then QOS works.
  • Installing the Voxel firmware then will work, and so will QOS.
  • Installing your plugin then causes QOS to have issues again.
  • Prior to this I was running b28.
It would appear that installing your plugin is causing setting changes in the router that there are no easy way to erase. I think it would be nice if you'd put in the FAQs how to ACTUALLY get your plugin COMPLETELY out of a router so that there isn't even a trace of a setting left behind.

@kamoj

I think I may have uncovered a bug with the newest b30 and the r7800. When using stubby, if the log is manually cleared in your addon it will never begin capturing again. I tried removing your addon and re-adding it, but it persists. A factory reset did not cure it either. So I completely TFTP reflashed the router with the latest Voxel firmware and your addon, but it persists. It does not matter if I use standard or extended logging - same issue. Even if I manually restart stubby through SSH using the command: /etc/init.d/stubby restart . Here's what it looks like after the re-start.

Stubby Log:
2020-08-28 20:52:22: Log erased by operator trigged addon
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.08:STOP
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.09:STOP: Service to be killed
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.13:STOP: Service needed to be hard killed
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.14:STOP: Restore dnsmasq config file
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.15:STOP: Restart dnsmasq
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.27:STOP: Terminated.
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.28:START
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.30:dnscrypt-proxy-2 is enabled stop it - stop it
[2020-08-28 20:54:34] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.39:Update dnsmasq config file: /tmp/dnsmasq.conf
[2020-08-28 20:54:34] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.40:Start service: /usr/sbin/stubby -C /etc/stubby/stubby.yml -v 5 -g 2
[04:54:34.065866] STUBBY: Stubby version: Stubby 0.3.0
[04:54:34.072864] STUBBY: Read config from file /etc/stubby/stubby.yml
[2020-08-28 20:54:34] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.43:Restart dnsmasq
[2020-08-28 20:54:34] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.52:Started.

That is where it stops and will not pick back up. However, if I SSH into the router I can manually start the log with the command: stubby -l .... and it will continually update through SSH, but never pick back up in your addon.

Previously I was using I was using b25 and this was not an issue... only with the latest b30 (I did not try the in-between versions). If there's anything else I can test or provide for you, please let me know. As always - thank you for all your hard work - very appreciated!

Thank you too! It's a good problem report. :)
I have corrected a few issues in e.g. stubby, and if you have patience, hopefully it's fixed already.
So, I hope you want to try the next add-on version and test it again!
@kamoj

I think I may have uncovered a bug with the newest b30 and the r7800. When using stubby, if the log is manually cleared in your addon it will never begin capturing again. I tried removing your addon and re-adding it, but it persists. A factory reset did not cure it either. So I completely TFTP reflashed the router with the latest Voxel firmware and your addon, but it persists. It does not matter if I use standard or extended logging - same issue. Even if I manually restart stubby through SSH using the command: /etc/init.d/stubby restart . Here's what it looks like after the re-start.

Stubby Log:
2020-08-28 20:52:22: Log erased by operator trigged addon
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.08:STOP
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.09:STOP: Service to be killed
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.13:STOP: Service needed to be hard killed
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.14:STOP: Restore dnsmasq config file
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.15:STOP: Restart dnsmasq
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.27:STOP: Terminated.
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.28:START
[2020-08-28 20:54:33] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.30:dnscrypt-proxy-2 is enabled stop it - stop it
[2020-08-28 20:54:34] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.39:Update dnsmasq config file: /tmp/dnsmasq.conf
[2020-08-28 20:54:34] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.40:Start service: /usr/sbin/stubby -C /etc/stubby/stubby.yml -v 5 -g 2
[04:54:34.065866] STUBBY: Stubby version: Stubby 0.3.0
[04:54:34.072864] STUBBY: Read config from file /etc/stubby/stubby.yml
[2020-08-28 20:54:34] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.43:Restart dnsmasq
[2020-08-28 20:54:34] [STUBBY] 11534: 295.52:Started.

That is where it stops and will not pick back up. However, if I SSH into the router I can manually start the log with the command: stubby -l .... and it will continually update through SSH, but never pick back up in your addon.

Previously I was using I was using b25 and this was not an issue... only with the latest b30 (I did not try the in-between versions). If there's anything else I can test or provide for you, please let me know. As always - thank you for all your hard work - very appreciated!

If you install Stock firmware or another Voxel version, the add-on will be erased from router memory.
If you have other changes on USB-device they are unchanged, e.g.: Entware, VPN configs, SSH keys, autorun script.
There is no need to factory reset or flashing with tftp.

Both backup and restore of configuration are parts of the stock GUI and functionality.
It should be normal practice to keep backups if you need to keep your settings, and then restore .
I'll update readme/FAQ with instruction to save/backup your router settings before
installing the add-on.

Thank you very much for your story, and good luck with the stock firmware,
unless you decide to stay with Voxel FW and Add-on 5.3b28.

Have a nice weekend!
  • Router is R9000.
  • If I'm going to install Netgear's firmware, I may as well delete your add-on and stay using the stock version that doesn't have constant bugs that require me to wipe the router and re-configure it from factory settings.
  • Uninstalling the add-on does not allow QOS to work. Neither does removing your settings from NVRAM. The router needs to be factory reset, install stock firmware, factory reset again, and then QOS works.
  • Installing the Voxel firmware then will work, and so will QOS.
  • Installing your plugin then causes QOS to have issues again.
  • Prior to this I was running b28.
It would appear that installing your plugin is causing setting changes in the router that there are no easy way to erase. I think it would be nice if you'd put in the FAQs how to ACTUALLY get your plugin COMPLETELY out of a router so that there isn't even a trace of a setting left behind.

Thank you too! It's a good problem report. :)
I have corrected a few issues in e.g. stubby, and if you have patience, hopefully it's fixed already.
So, I hope you want to try the next add-on version and test it again!

Sounds great! I'll await the next update!

- Updated FAQ.txt with e.g.:
How do I reset all USB mounting points to start from sda1 again etc?
How do I reboot the router?
Are there other ways of doing a reboot, and what are the differences?
How do I reset the router to "Factory settings" (Reset the user configuration)?
How do I really reset the router to "Factory settings"?
I really want to reset to factory settings! Is there any way to do it?
Is there a way to do a "better" factory reset than from stock GUI?
My R7800 configuration is corrupt and can not be set. What to do?
I'm running DD-WRT and can not go back to Netgear stock firmware. What can I do?
How do I use tftp to revive a bricked router, or just flash new firmware?
- Updated readme.txt

Great addon, kamoj.
Couldn't be more happy with my new R7800 since post initial setup I've installed Voxel FW + this wonderful addon.
One small thing I noticed. Installing the addon changes the white led to amber for the WAN. Since I didn't find any relevant setting (except for turning off power LED) from the Settings list, maybe there is a possibility to include this in the next beta release (resetting this back to white) or helping out with some shell commands that would do the trick.

Try to switch OFF the OpenVPN Client and Wireguard Client.
Failure of these will cause amber LED. E.g. if they are enabled but no config exist.
Great addon, kamoj.
Couldn't be more happy with my new R7800 since post initial setup I've installed Voxel FW + this wonderful addon.
One small thing I noticed. Installing the addon changes the white led to amber for the WAN. Since I didn't find any relevant setting (except for turning off power LED) from the Settings list, maybe there is a possibility to include this in the next beta release (resetting this back to white) or helping out with some shell commands that would do the trick.

Hi @kamoj pehaps you could have a look at the log below regarding the ovpn. I have amber light which turns white wnen I press connect on router,the ovpn and cyclic staus is green tick but the internet status says error not connected.This happens now and then
Internet is not connected.

Attachments

• VPN txt.txt
    9.5 KB · Views: 89
I'm sorry, but the add-on does not support ExpressVPN (read the FAQ.txt).
So this is not an add-on issue, so start another thread please.
Hi @kamoj pehaps you could have a look at the log below regarding the ovpn. I have amber light which turns white wnen I press connect on router,the ovpn and cyclic staus is green tick but the internet status says error not connected.This happens now and then
Internet is not connected.

I'm sorry, but the add-on does not support ExpressVPN (read the FAQ.txt).
So this is not an add-on issue, so start another thread please.
Express VPN works very well manually configuring it.The issue is the routers conflicting information.
Regards

In the log there is no conflicting information. All looks ok.
Maybe you have DNS problems, but VPN looks fine.
I suggest you revert to your latest working configuration.
Express VPN works very well manually configuring it.The issue is the routers conflicting information.
Regards

In the log there is no conflicting information. All looks ok.
Maybe you have DNS problems, but VPN looks fine.
I suggest you revert to your latest working configuration.
Thanks for having a look
....Express VPN have encrypted dns servers so cant check but should be ok.I have 8 different countries and they all work ok ......just now and then when I switch countries the problem occurs.
As you suggest I will re-confiqure
Regards

Maybe it's because you change server "too often".
I've seen this approach by several VPN-providers.
They have a limit on how many times you can change connection per time quota.
Suggest you ask ExpressVPN about their policy!
Thanks for having a look
....Express VPN have encrypted dns servers so cant check but should be ok.I have 8 different countries and they all work ok ......just now and then when I switch countries the problem occurs.
As you suggest I will re-confiqure
Regards

Maybe it's because you change server "too often".
I've seen this approach by several VPN-providers.
They have a limit on how many times you can change connection per time quota.
Suggest you ask ExpressVPN about their policy!
Checked with express vpn and theres no limit.
What I dont understand is why the router says its both connected and disconnected.
Is there a limit to how many countries the router will allow ?

Please be clear with what exactly is "the internet status says error not connected" and "the router says its both connected and disconnected.".
Have you enabled killswitch?
What DNS settings do you have?
Have you enabled supervision with restart of something?
Do you need to rebbot to get connection again?
Do you get connection again if you off the openvpn connection?
You could help a lot by be more specific.
Have a fantastic day!
Checked with express vpn and theres no limit.
What I dont understand is why the router says its both connected and disconnected.
Is there a limit to how many countries the router will allow ?

Please be clear with what exactly is "the internet status says error not connected" and "the router says its both connected and disconnected.".
Have you enabled killswitch?
What DNS settings do you have?
Have you enabled supervision with restart of something?
Do you need to rebbot to get connection again?
Do you get connection again if you off the openvpn connection?
You could help a lot by be more specific.
Have a fantastic day!
Here is a log for Nord opvn log , same thing ... no internet. kill switchis off,dns settings are the nord ones.Reboot does not connect to internet .
Turning the vpn off does. The internet status on the gui says not connected. The cyclic staus on vpn is ticked green.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• Nord vpn log.txt
    13.4 KB · Views: 81
I should add the Internet light on the router goes from amber to white when the vpn is enabled
Regards

Update
just got home and logged into router still on Nord opvn and this is what I have now
On home page gui
Internet is red and says error not connected.
On Basic page gui
internet status says success connected
Vpn cyclic status update green tick
ip address is the vpn one.
Internet is connected with white lnternet light on router.
Admin log attached
Regards.

update......swapped dns primary and secondary servers round and Nord ovpn working ok now

Attachments

• admin log.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!