What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on 5.1 Beta testing poll

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you want to beta test Kamoj add-on v5.1b1?

• No, I don't trust 3rd party software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't use the Voxel firmware

• No, I don't like your add-on

• Total voters
I would like to be able to beta test Kamoj... I had it working before and now I can't get a download link even after the survey

Update
just got home and logged into router still on Nord opvn and this is what I have now
On home page gui
Internet is red and says error not connected.
On Basic page gui
internet status says success connected
Vpn cyclic status update green tick
ip address is the vpn one.
Internet is connected with white lnternet light on router.
Admin log attached
Regards.

update......swapped dns primary and secondary servers round and Nord ovpn working ok now

Hello,

Jrbmw, I am curious about the DNS changes you made in case others my have similar issues in the future. I have had several issues with OpenVPN connectivity in the past but its been really good since maybe 5.3b25. However, I did switch VPN providers too and that may have helped.

Can you elaborate on the settings you changed to correct the OpenVPN problem? Specifically:

- What DNS servers were set in the Netgear Basic--> Internet DNS Server Address? Primary, Secondary, Third?

- Were any DNS servers set in the Kamoj--> Settings page? If so, were they OpenVPN/Nord servers or public such as 1.1.1.1?

- Was the "Include Default DNS" checkbox selected?

Which of these were changed to get OpenVPN working?

I have two networks that run on different routers. The R9000 is handling my personal/media network. For reference, my current R9000 settings are:

- Netgear Basic--> Internet page =
Primary DNS is set to local Pi-Hole DNS server with dual NIC so it also runs on my "work" network. Secondary DNS is set to another local server also with dual network access. Third DNS is set to 9.9.9.9.

- Kamoj--> Settings =
A local Pi-Hole DNS server running on R9000 network, plus "Include Default DNS" is selected.

When I was having most of my OpenVPN problems, I had the Netgear Basic--> Internet DNS servers only set to two local R9000 Pi-Hole DNS servers with no access to the other network. Nothing was set in the Kamoj--> Settings DNS servers.

It may be unrelated, but after I changed the Netgear Basic--> Internet DNS servers to something that didn't rely on other local network devices OpenVPN seemed to work OK...

Thanks,
BL

Hello,

Jrbmw, I am curious about the DNS changes you made in case others my have similar issues in the future. I have had several issues with OpenVPN connectivity in the past but its been really good since maybe 5.3b25. However, I did switch VPN providers too and that may have helped.

Can you elaborate on the settings you changed to correct the OpenVPN problem? Specifically:

- What DNS servers were set in the Netgear Basic--> Internet DNS Server Address? Primary, Secondary, Third?

- Were any DNS servers set in the Kamoj--> Settings page? If so, were they OpenVPN/Nord servers or public such as 1.1.1.1?

- Was the "Include Default DNS" checkbox selected?

Which of these were changed to get OpenVPN working?

I have two networks that run on different routers. The R9000 is handling my personal/media network. For reference, my current R9000 settings are:

- Netgear Basic--> Internet page =
Primary DNS is set to local Pi-Hole DNS server with dual NIC so it also runs on my "work" network. Secondary DNS is set to another local server also with dual network access. Third DNS is set to 9.9.9.9.

- Kamoj--> Settings =
A local Pi-Hole DNS server running on R9000 network, plus "Include Default DNS" is selected.

When I was having most of my OpenVPN problems, I had the Netgear Basic--> Internet DNS servers only set to two local R9000 Pi-Hole DNS servers with no access to the other network. Nothing was set in the Kamoj--> Settings DNS servers.

It may be unrelated, but after I changed the Netgear Basic--> Internet DNS servers to something that didn't rely on other local network devices OpenVPN seemed to work OK...

Thanks,
BL
Hello
Ive used Nord, Mullvad ,PIA,and Express vpn and in general they have all worked pretty good.
I found that unless Ive used the vpns dns servers it dont work properly. So in the Basic setup I change use these dns servers from the isp ones to the vpns.
I feel more confident that there wont be any dns leaks as well using the vpns servers.
Express vpn use encrypted and private dns,which I assume is set in the express vpn software, so I just leave the isp ones in the basic setting.
I dont have any other dns set either 3rd ones or in Kamoj settings.
The problem I had with Nord was I put the primary and secondary dns server adresses round the wrong way ie the primary in the secondary. when I corrected it.It worked good and has been since.
I suddenly started having problems with Express vpn being connected to certain countries as per gui, white internet light on the router and vpn log but the internet not being connected.
As Express has to be configured manually I dont know if the updates on @Kamojs superb addon had any effect on this.

Hello
Ive used Nord, Mullvad ,PIA,and Express vpn and in general they have all worked pretty good.
I found that unless Ive used the vpns dns servers it dont work properly. So in the Basic setup I change use these dns servers from the isp ones to the vpns.
I feel more confident that there wont be any dns leaks as well using the vpns servers.
Express vpn use encrypted and private dns,which I assume is set in the express vpn software, so I just leave the isp ones in the basic setting.
I dont have any other dns set either 3rd ones or in Kamoj settings.
The problem I had with Nord was I put the primary and secondary dns server adresses round the wrong way ie the primary in the secondary. when I corrected it.It worked good and has been since.
I suddenly started having problems with Express vpn being connected to certain countries as per gui, white internet light on the router and vpn log but the internet not being connected.
As Express has to be configured manually I dont know if the updates on @Kamojs superb addon had any effect on this.

Hello,

Thank you for the information - It is different from what I experienced and I understand now.

BL

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.4b1
--------------------------------------------------
- Many code changes due to refactoring/cleanup/speed-up of shell scripts,
and new functions.
Please: Report issues only after verifying there is no such issue with previous version.
- OpenVPN Client : Added: ExpressVPN (Thank you for invaluable help: @jrbmw)
- OpenVPN Client : Re-added: Mullvad
- OpenVPN Client : Fixed: Surfshark (@Infinitum)
- OpenVPN Client : kill-switch to remain active during restart (@R. Gerrits)(@KW.)
- Wireguard Client: kill-switch to remain active during restart (@R. Gerrits)(@KW.)
- Wireguard Client: Added support for: PresharedKey (@blueliner)
- Wireguard Client: Added support for: Persistent Keepalive, AllowedIPs. Untested.
- Adguard Home : Increased timeout for downloading of from 10 to 40 seconds. (@blueliner)
- Adguard Home : Disabled dnsmasq resolvers when using adguard.
To keep old functionality:
nvram set kamoj_adguard_without_dnsmasq=1; nvram commit
- Router Information: Added information: Network SubSystem Accelerator: NSS is switched OFF
- Router Information: Added more information about current OpenVPN config/server
- DNSCrypt: More details added to extended logging
- DNSCrypt: Updated: DNS Leak Test / Privacy links
- Stubby: Updated start/stop script. More details added to extended logging
- Router Information: Show router mode (AP/Bridge/Extender/Router)
- Router Information: Don't show serial number as default
- Router Information: Force minimum 10 sec Auto Refresh value (@Candurin)
- Router Information: Corrected "Boot time" calculation
- Router Information: Added: Port Status: SFP
- Restart Supervision: Make sure only one instance is running.
- Restart Supervision: Restart OpenVPN and Wireguard Clients in the background.
- Restart Supervision: Only supervise dnsmasq in Router mode.
- Restart Supervision: Changed tactics, demoted Cloudflare.
- Settings: Added: Hide wireless password on Basic Home page
- Settings: Added: Disable WPS (@Voxel, @Armitage)
- Settings: Added: flash info: R9000 specifics detection
- Settings: Added: Show Serial number on Router Information page
- Settings: Removed: R7800: Fix Ap-mode WAN port data corruption (Experimental)
(Waiting for Voxel to include Netgear official fix from R7800-V1.0.2.74)
- Hidden Menu: Added: QoS Main
- Bandwidth Usage: Font size changed (@h1ms3lf)
- Hidden Menus: Removed from R7800 menu: Fan Control Temperature (@e38BimmerFN)
- Updated R9000 with Voxels more esthetic R7800 "top banner" theme.
- Updated R9000 with brighter background as in R7800. (hijack_style.css)
- Added MD5 files to download area (@h1ms3lf)
- speedtest.sh: Adapted to new ookla configurations.
- Updated FAQ.txt with e.g.:
How do I reset all USB mounting points to start from sda1 again etc.?
How do I reboot the router?
Are there other ways of doing a reboot, and what are the differences?
How do I reset the router to "Factory settings" (Reset the user configuration)?
How do I really reset the router to "Factory settings"?
I really want to reset to factory settings! Is there any way to do it?
Is there a way to do a "better" factory reset than from stock GUI?
My R7800 configuration is corrupt and can not be set. What to do?
I'm running DD-WRT and can not go back to Netgear stock firmware. What can I do?
How do I use tftp to revive a bricked router, or just flash new firmware?
- Updated readme.txt
- Updated FAQ.txt

Last edited:
Thanks Kamoj
kamoj-addon_200927-224456-5.4b1_r9000.ipk Installed and running well

OpenVPN and Wireguard clients using Torguard VPN Tested and working well.
Happy to send you how to configure details for torguard

Ok thx, I'll have a look at it.
Thanks Kamoj
kamoj-addon_200927-224456-5.4b1_r9000.ipk Installed and running well

OpenVPN and Wireguard clients using Torguard VPN Tested and working well.
Happy to send you how to configure details for torguard

Hello,

Just a quick note...installed 5.4b1 on my R9000. Everything went well. The WireGuard PreShared Key changes appear to have corrected the issue with WindScribe not being able to connect. I was able to connect to the two servers I tried and confirmed my connection is going through the VPN.

Thank you!

Hello,

Windscribe WireGuard is still working well! I've connected/disconnected and switched back and forth to OpenVPN..all is good.

I do noticed that I don't have a WireGuard section on the Kamoj router information page. I cleared the cache and tried again...still no WireGuard info on Firefox or Vivaldi browsers. OpenVPN still shows up for me on the Router Information page when OpenVPN is connected.

BL

Thank you for reporting!
I'll fix now and make a new release.
Hello,

Windscribe WireGuard is still working well! I've connected/disconnected and switched back and forth to OpenVPN..all is good.

I do noticed that I don't have a WireGuard section on the Kamoj router information page. I cleared the cache and tried again...still no WireGuard info on Firefox or Vivaldi browsers. OpenVPN still shows up for me on the Router Information page when OpenVPN is connected.

BL

Having a problem with version 5.4b1. When I load it on the r7800 my internet speed drops from 64 mbps to 25 mbps and the upload from 16mbps to 0.75 mbps.
This is on wireless and wired.To get the speed back I have to do
nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot

Just changing the addon for a lower one doesent get the speed back.

Last edited:
Thank you for the report!
You are the first to report this problem that I have never had, despite testing for one month.

The error description is a bit too general to be useful for fault finding though.

Can you please provide more information about your configuration?
What settings do you change from Voxel vanilla installation?
DNS? Log file?
Ad-blocking? Log file?
OpenVPN / Wireguard? Log file?
Restart supervision? Log file?
Extended logging?
VPN bypassing?
Bandwidth Usage on?
Other installations?
Router Mode?
QoS on?
Transmission / Netgear Downloader?
Kwilt?
ReadyShare?
Aegis?
Entware?
Is the Netgear GUI responsive?
Is the Kamoj GUI responsive?
What is " Router Information " giving?
How do you measure the internet speed?

Can you run these commands (from Settings e.g.). I need to see if any process uses much cpu? :
ps

To off kamoj add-on functions but keeping the add-on:
Code:
nvram show | awk -F= '/^kamoj/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram commit
reboot
Then you can enable functions one by one until you find out what is causing your low speed.

Eagerly awaiting your reply, so we can solve this mystery soon!
Thank you again for all help with beta testing!

Having a problem with version 5.4b1. When I load it on the r7800 my internet speed drops from 64 mbps to 25 mbps and the upload from 16mbps to 0.75 mbps.
This is on wireless and wired.To get the speed back I have to do
nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot

Just changing the addon for a lower one doesent get the speed back.

Reactions: KW.
dslspeed.jpg

There seems to be an issue with the 5.4b1, since I've installed the wan bandwidth halved. Alter uninstall and clean + reboot the speed is up again. I have no explanation since I didn't use OQS, OpenVPN / Wireguard, Ad-blocking, Bandwidth Usage, Transmission / Netgear Downloader, only aegis was on.

Indeed. I can confirm that there appears to be an issue with the latest beta releases.
Measured on 5ghz network (5m from router).

With the latest version:
Screenshot_11.png
Rollbacking to safe version:
Screenshot_15.png

Settings while on latest version:
Screenshot_12.png

Screenshot_13.png

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!