What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on 5.1 Beta testing poll

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you want to beta test Kamoj add-on v5.1b1?

• No, I don't trust 3rd party software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't use the Voxel firmware

• No, I don't like your add-on

• Total voters
I'm trying to install Entware, and failing.

R7800 ; Voxel 84.4SF ; Kamoj 5.4b4

8 GB USB thumb drive plugged into USB 1, formatted for Ext4

I open the command prompt and Telnet into the router. When I run the command "entware_install.sh", and process through the script, I fail with:

"Do you want to erase current USB device and install Entware to it? [yes/n] yes

Erasing the USB device and installing Entware
Hit 'Enter' to start:

2020-10-19 11:14:13 [Entware] and swap installation is started.
/usr/bin/entware_install.sh: /usr/bin/entware_install.sh: 347: find_usb_device: not found
*ERROR:No usable USB device found. Exit."

Can someone kindly tell me what I am doing wrong. Thx.

I open the command prompt and Telnet into the router. When I run the command "entware_install.sh", and process through the script, I fail with:

Hit 'Enter' to start:

/usr/bin/entware_install.sh: /usr/bin/entware_install.sh: 347: find_usb_device: not found

Try to follow my README. Something like

(1) download https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Entware/entware-cortex-a15-3x-initial-generic.tar.gz

(2) unpack it to the root of your USB

e.g.
Code:
mkdir /mnt/sda1/tmp
cd /mnt/sda1/tmp
wget https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Entware/entware-cortex-a15-3x-initial-generic.tar.gz
cd /mnt/sda1/
tar xf /mnt/sda1/tmp/entware-cortex-a15-3x-initial-generic.tar.gz
reboot

Voxel.

There is a known bug in entware_install.sh
It's fixed in the not yet released version of the add-on.

You can patch it with this shell command:
Code:
sed -i 's/find_usb_device/find_usb/g' /usr/bin/entware_install.sh

Hit 'Enter' to start:

again AdGuard high CPU issue.

Mem: 463268K used, 20256K free, 0K shrd, 17880K buff, 155500K cached
Load average: 8.36 5.93 5.01
_PID USER _ _ STATUS _ RSS _PPID %CPU %MEM COMMAND
32033 root _ _ S _ _ _71164 _ _ 1 89.2 14.7 AdGuardHome

View attachment 27000
Yes, it seems so.
The AdGuard program is a binary program untouched by the add-on.

I suggest you post about this at AdGuard forum or create a new thread here at SNB.
Also then mention which version you are using and be prepared to supply the (extended) log-file.

Then please report back about the progress.

Try to follow my README. Something like

(1) download https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Entware/entware-cortex-a15-3x-initial-generic.tar.gz

(2) unpack it to the root of your USB

e.g.
Code:
mkdir /mnt/sda1/tmp
cd /mnt/sda1/tmp
wget https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Entware/entware-cortex-a15-3x-initial-generic.tar.gz
cd /mnt/sda1/
tar xf /mnt/sda1/tmp/entware-cortex-a15-3x-initial-generic.tar.gz
reboot

Voxel.
Thank you. That worked, of course. :)

I had been following the procedure set forth in the Kamoj FAQ:

Q: I want to install the Entware program netdata that shows all kind of router information
in a GUI accessible from a web browser. How do I do that?
A: 1). Install Entware: entware_install.sh
2). Install and start netdata:
entware_install.sh netdata
3). Open in your web-browser: http://192.168.1.1:19999/

Voxel, once I followed your instructions, I was able to successfully pick up the Kamoj instructions, starting at Step 2.

@kamoj, I have a small bug to report. Under "Bandwidth Usage", I see "The counters were started on 2020-10-09 06:23:16. This page was generated on 2020-10-20 08:20:02"

The bug relates to the purported date that the counters were started. I didn't install the Kamoj add-on until Oct 12, so the counters could not possibly have been started before that. And yesterday (Oct 19), I restarted the router a number of times while installing and experimenting with Entware, and I can see that the counters were reset. Nevertheless, the "Bandwidth Usage" page still reports that the counters were started on Oct 9.

Immediately before writing this post, I went to the Settings page, and clicked on "Reset counters", which did what it purported to do, and the line now (correctly) reads " The counters were started on 2020-10-20 08:23:01. This page was generated on 2020-10-20 08:30:02 "

You must have started the router and Bandwidth Usage before the router got time/NTP sync (or was even offline).
Because you got the Voxel 84.4SF default date 2020-10-09!
Good you already found the remedy, "Reset counters".
Thank you for the report!

@kamoj, I have a small bug to report. Under "Bandwidth Usage", I see "The counters were started on 2020-10-09 06:23:16. This page was generated on 2020-10-20 08:20:02"

The bug relates to the purported date that the counters were started. I didn't install the Kamoj add-on until Oct 12, so the counters could not possibly have been started before that. And yesterday (Oct 19), I restarted the router a number of times while installing and experimenting with Entware, and I can see that the counters were reset. Nevertheless, the "Bandwidth Usage" page still reports that the counters were started on Oct 9.

Immediately before writing this post, I went to the Settings page, and clicked on "Reset counters", which did what it purported to do, and the line now (correctly) reads " The counters were started on 2020-10-20 08:23:01. This page was generated on 2020-10-20 08:30:02 "

Reactions: KW.
You must have started the router and Bandwidth Usage before the router got time/NTP sync (or was even offline).
Because you got the Voxel 84.4SF default date 2020-10-09!
Good you already found the remedy, "Reset counters".
Thank you for the report!
Kamoj, I appreciate your suggested rationale as to what happened, but I believe you are in error.

I just checked Bandwidth Usage, and it now states: "The counters were started on 2020-10-09 06:23:16. This page was generated on 2020-10-21 18:48:02". In other words, the starting date/time has reverted to what you advise is the Voxel build date/time. To further test your theory I immediately then looked at Administration/NTP Settings, and can confirm that the date/time is correct. AFAIK, it has always been correct; I have never noticed time issues.

The router has been restarted once since I last wrote you. Perhaps the restart caused your counter to revert to the Voxel build date/time, but even if it does that, it shouldn't.

There clearly appears to be a (small) bug here. My "remedy" is unfortunately ephemeral.

Thank you!

The start date is saved in the same file as all the counters, and stored on USB, and restored at every reboot.
It's not of interest what time is "immediately", as you can not access the GUI while router is booting...
"Immediately" must have been 1 minute or so after boot.

In Router Information you can see info about how long time it takes before the router gets time synched.

If you have different USB-devices the "error" together with counters will follow the USB-device at boot time.
The add-on has no way to fake a date as it is taken strictly from the operating system.

I 'm glad you are here as a beta tester and hope you can find out what is going wrong in your router,
and report back here.

Kamoj, I appreciate your suggested rationale as to what happened, but I believe you are in error.

I just checked Bandwidth Usage, and it now states: "The counters were started on 2020-10-09 06:23:16. This page was generated on 2020-10-21 18:48:02". In other words, the starting date/time has reverted to what you advise is the Voxel build date/time. To further test your theory I immediately then looked at Administration/NTP Settings, and can confirm that the date/time is correct. AFAIK, it has always been correct; I have never noticed time issues.

The router has been restarted once since I last wrote you. Perhaps the restart caused your counter to revert to the Voxel build date/time, but even if it does that, it shouldn't.

There clearly appears to be a (small) bug here. My "remedy" is unfortunately ephemeral.

Thank you!

The start date is saved in the same file as all the counters, and stored on USB, and restored at every reboot.
It's not of interest what time is "immediately", as you can not access the GUI while router is booting...
"Immediately" must have been 1 minute or so after boot.

In Router Information you can see info about how long time it takes before the router gets time synched.

If you have different USB-devices the "error" together with counters will follow the USB-device at boot time.
The add-on has no way to fake a date as it is taken strictly from the operating system.

I 'm glad you are here as a beta tester and hope you can find out what is going wrong in your router,
and report back here.
I'm confused because I don't have anything plugged into the USB ports on the router. I used a USB thumb drive to install the Kamoj add-on, and a different USB thumb drive to install / experiment with Entware. But there is nothing plugged into either USB port now.

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.4b5
--------------------------------------------------
- Router Information: WWW_FOR_TEST="www.cloudflare.com" -> "cloudflare.com"
- entware_install.sh: Fixed "usb device not found" error introduced in v5.4b1
- net-wall: Updated to detect and kill staled instances
- DNSPrivacy/Ad-Blocking: Adguard Home : Added link to OpenWRT Adguard forum: [HowTo] Running Adguard Home on OpenWrt
- OpenVPN Client: "Create OpenVPN Client Configuration": Create configuration + Start VPN:
Check and alert added for missing username/password.
- Hidden Menus: Added: POT.htm
- Help & Support: Added links to "Voxel readme", "Kamoj@SNB" and "Kamoj FAQ"
- Minor editorials.
- FAQ.txt updated

Last edited:
Hi Kamoj,

I installed 5.4b5, and am having a problem with Bandwidth Usage.

After the installation, the "counters were started" gave the Voxel build date. I checked the NTP settings, and confirmed that the router had yet to connect to the time servers. After a few minutes, the time synced, and I returned to the Bandwidth Usage page. The date of "counters were started" had not changed, so I refreshed the page. It still didn't change, so I went to the Settings page and forced the update via Bandwidth Monitoring/Reset Counters.

All of this is likely working as it should.

The real issue is that the Bandwidth Usage table is not populating with data as it usually does. None. See the attached image. I have no idea what the "Last seen" date of 10-12-2020 is, but perhaps you do. And the date and time below the table ( The counters were started on 2020-10-22 16:15:41. This page was generated on 2020-10-22 16:15:41 ) is the date/time that I reset the counters. The page has not been generated since then.

Your thoughts, please.

Attachments

• From Kamoj 5.4b5 - 2020-10-22 164031.jpg
    From Kamoj 5.4b5 - 2020-10-22 164031.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 142
There is no change of Bandwidth Usage Monitor since very long time, and I have not seen any other problem reports.

The counters are handled by iptables, so you may think about what other changes you have done to iptables
The Bandwidth Usage counters can be shown with:
Code:
iptables -L RRDIPT -vnx -t filter

You can run the Bandwidth Usage program and sampling by hand:
Code:
addon_bwusage.sh --help
/usr/bin/addon_bwusage.sh update /tmp/addons/addon_bwusage/addon_bwusage.db

Hi Kamoj,

I installed 5.4b5, and am having a problem with Bandwidth Usage.

After the installation, the "counters were started" gave the Voxel build date. I checked the NTP settings, and confirmed that the router had yet to connect to the time servers. After a few minutes, the time synced, and I returned to the Bandwidth Usage page. The date of "counters were started" had not changed, so I refreshed the page. It still didn't change, so I went to the Settings page and forced the update via Bandwidth Monitoring/Reset Counters.

All of this is likely working as it should.

The real issue is that the Bandwidth Usage table is not populating with data as it usually does. None. See the attached image. I have no idea what the "Last seen" date of 10-12-2020 is, but perhaps you do. And the date and time below the table ( The counters were started on 2020-10-22 16:15:41. This page was generated on 2020-10-22 16:15:41 ) is the date/time that I reset the counters. The page has not been generated since then.

Your thoughts, please.

There is no change of Bandwidth Usage Monitor since very long time, and I have not seen any other problem reports.

The counters are handled by iptables, so you may think about what other changes you have done to iptables
The Bandwidth Usage counters can be shown with:
Code:
iptables -L RRDIPT -vnx -t filter

You can run the Bandwidth Usage program and sampling by hand:
Code:
addon_bwusage.sh --help
/usr/bin/addon_bwusage.sh update /tmp/addons/addon_bwusage/addon_bwusage.db
Hi Kamoj,

My Bandwidth Monitor output (including dates and times) hasn't changed since I wrote you yesterday. I ran the telnet strings you suggested and the output is attached.

AFAIK, I have never changed my iptables. I don't know how to do that.

Attachments

• Bandwidth Monitor from telnet - 23Oct2020.txt
    2 KB · Views: 146
Hi Kamoj,

My Bandwidth Monitor output (including dates and times) hasn't changed since I wrote you yesterday. I ran the telnet strings you suggested and the output is attached.

Hello,

I don't generally pay much attention to bandwidth use, but it seems that the bandwidth monitor works OK on my R9000. Just updated Voxel firmware and Kamoj 5.4b5. I will pay more attention to the dates/times/devices listed and compare to another network monitor on my system over the next week or so...

BL

Very good thank you, that log will help a lot!

You get an error because no USB-device is found.
So it could be ok if you just insert a USB-memory.
The statistics is still working, just you dont get the output of some reason.

I'll check it more when I get time.
Hi Kamoj,

Reactions: KW.
Very good thank you, that log will help a lot!

You get an error because no USB-device is found.
So it could be ok if you just insert a USB-memory.
The statistics is still working, just you dont get the output of some reason.

I'll check it more when I get time.
But I don't want to use a USB device (and never had to use one before).

I use a USB to install the Kamoj add-on, but then remove it. And I used a USB to install Entware (and installed and ran netdata), but then removed it because I didn't want netdata to run continuously and I didn't know how to stop it (other than removing the USB).

Last edited:
Just installed latest Kamoj for the first time on my R7800 with Kamoj V5.4b5 and Voxel V1.0.2.80.4SF

Followed instructions and was able to install OK after I swapped out a faulty USB stick
Kamoj menu all present and correct
I can view some of the pages, Router information, settings and bandwidth usage
As soon as I open or interact with any of the other pages such as OpenVPN or DNS privacy etc I get a repeating admin/password request pop up which only goes away if I click cancel and then sends me to password reset page
I have tried different browsers and even private mode and same issue
Therefore I am unable to make any changes
Had a look at a few sights which mentioned factory reseting and going on to previous firmware
Any one else had this issue with this router / firmwares combination ?

That problem others have even with Netgear stock firmware (You can search Netgear forum a.o.).
Netgear has had many problems with different character sets through the years and their html code is a "jungle" of tries to fix it.

This thread and original Kamoj beta thread have several posts about this, e.g.:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/k...00-x4s-and-r9000-x10.60590/page-8#post-566551
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/k...ear-r7800-x4s-and-r9000-x10.60590/post-536755
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/k...00-x4s-and-r9000-x10.60590/page-8#post-566561

A solution is to CHANGE password (NOT just enter your old credentials), or it will stay bad until you do.
Use an admin password without non-alphanumeric characters, especially $ causes troubles.
You should try to not use any of these characters in the password:
"Non-English-characters,$,!, <, >, @, %, *,?, .,+,-,/,|,\,&,=,',",`,´"

If it starts working then add "strange" characters one by one till you find out the "bad" one.

Please report back your progress.

Just installed latest Kamoj for the first time on my R7800 with Kamoj V5.4b5 and Voxel V1.0.2.80.4SF

Followed instructions and was able to install OK after I swapped out a faulty USB stick
Kamoj menu all present and correct
I can view some of the pages, Router information, settings and bandwidth usage
As soon as I open or interact with any of the other pages such as OpenVPN or DNS privacy etc I get a repeating admin/password request pop up which only goes away if I click cancel and then sends me to password reset page
I have tried different browsers and even private mode and same issue
Therefore I am unable to make any changes
Had a look at a few sights which mentioned factory reseting and going on to previous firmware
Any one else had this issue with this router / firmwares combination ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!