What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on 5.1 Beta testing poll

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you want to beta test Kamoj add-on v5.1b1?

• No, I don't trust 3rd party software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't use the Voxel firmware

• No, I don't like your add-on

• Total voters
It could be a DNS problem.
Start by adding Google and cloudflare DNS servers eg.
Then try Stubby and DNSCrypt 2, and then ask your VPN provider for DNS settings. Finally try your ISPs DNS servers.
You may have different DNS settings in phone and in router.
Ps
I'm not at home so I can't do much for another week or so.
Hope you can get more help here from other Voxel/Kamoj users!
AdGuard latest is v0.104.0-beta2, released earlier today;

Not had time to install yet, but I'm not seeing any issues on current 0.103.3, and I've managed to get it setup alright with keeping track of my live feed to add any unwanted blocks to the whitelist.

I am having a slight issue with OpenVPN though on Kamoj beta 5.4b4.

I'm currently working from home and I use an internet based phone system called Xellion.
With OpenVPN turned on, but that specific device turned off via VPN bypassing, the phone system doesn't work.
As soon as I turn the VPN back on for that device (bypassing off) the phone works fine again.

If I turn OpenVPN off completely, the phone system works fine.

So it only occurs when OpenVPN is on, but bypassing for that device.

If you let me know what logs you want, I'll get these uploaded.

AdGuard latest is v0.104.0-beta2, released earlier today;

Not had time to install yet, but I'm not seeing any issues on current 0.103.3, and I've managed to get it setup alright with keeping track of my live feed to add any unwanted blocks to the whitelist.

I am having a slight issue with OpenVPN though on Kamoj beta 5.4b4.

I'm currently working from home and I use an internet based phone system called Xellion.
With OpenVPN turned on, but that specific device turned off via VPN bypassing, the phone system doesn't work.
As soon as I turn the VPN back on for that device (bypassing off) the phone works fine again.

If I turn OpenVPN off completely, the phone system works fine.

So it only occurs when OpenVPN is on, but bypassing for that device.

If you let me know what logs you want, I'll get these uploaded.
Interesting. I have not tried the new AdGuard Home as I am currently using DNSCrypt. However, I may have the same issue with internet phone and VPN bypassing. I will look onto it further when I get some time.

BL

Interesting. I have not tried the new AdGuard Home as I am currently using DNSCrypt. However, I may have the same issue with internet phone and VPN bypassing. I will look onto it further when I get some time.

BL
Glad I'm. It the only one with the internet phone issue.
(It's a USB headset phone that plugs into a computer/laptop - like you see in a typical office environment).

I've turning off all adblocking, so I know it's not that.
It's strange.
I had the same issue again this morning, but I've changes VPN server to a different one which has less load of it today, and my phone now seems to be fine at the moment.
With or without VPN bypassing on.

So without checking further, I've found;
- high load VPN server caused issue with phone with either VPN on or bypassed.
- low load VPN server has no issues with either VPN on or bypassed.

Strange that even bypassing the VPN has issues caused by the VPN. It must not be fully bypassed, or the VPN on the router itself still causes the issue.

Due to needing the phone for work, I'm going into the router settings throughout the day and each day now to make sure I'm on a low loaded VPN server.

Hello everyone,

What download speeds do you guys get with VPN setup on the router?

I'm running Voxel 80.4SF and Kamoj 5.4b4 on R7800. Tried AdGuard home and changed ISP's DNS with their's but web pages would not load in browsers. On their reddit, I found they had some issues sometime last week. I also got the 100% CPU Load Total and it seems to go away after a while, no matter what I do. CPU temp went at 72 the highest.
Switched to DNSCrypt Proxy v2 and it's working great.

Tested Private Internet Access (both 128 and 256) setup and I only managed to get download speeds of 20-35Mbits out of 230Mbit/s that Xfinity provides me with. Strangely (for me) my upload speed of 10 Mbit/s stays the same with or without VPN activated. I don't know how to setup a manual VPN connection (without Kamoj add-on), as I tried everything from Voxel's readme and couldn't get it to work.
Another issue I've noticed, when I have the PIA VPN up and add my desktop to VPN Bypassing list, any web page I try to open I get "the connection has timed out" error. My Win 10 and R7800 show that i still have internet access. I tried closing the VPN, adding the desktop to bypassing and then restarting the VPN and got the same result as when i was adding the desktop to the list while VPN was up. Also tried it with my Galaxy S9 phone and when connected to my home wifi, no page would load in the browsers.

Bought Surfshark to test the speeds and it doesn't work with the setup. (In the add-on, I can get the countries to load, but not the servers, and if I hit Create Config, the red square next to OpenVPn Client changes from red to green, but the connection status stays red, and the vpn doesn't work as any ip site can pin point my location).

VPN's installed directly on my desktop (Win 10) gave me good speeds in testing. (D: 160 PIA and 190 Surfshark; U: 10 for both). I'm located in Chicago, and I got pings of 20-40 ms with Chicago, Toronto, New York and Washington servers. I also got good speeds on Samsung and Iphone via apps.

I've tested 2.80SF and 2.80.4SF with 5.3b30 and 5.4b4. When I try a new setup, I reset the router and usually after 5 -6 tries I reinstall Voxel and Kamoj. When I have browsing issues, I try Firefox, Chrome and Edge. I'm also clearing the data, cache, cookies etc.

I wanted to share my weekend testing experiences, especially with VPN speeds as I found scarce info on forums.
Any advice on how to setup OpenVPN (manually or with the add-on) will be appreciated. I'm new at this router and privacy stuff and I had to google almost every word in Voxel's readme. :)

Other than VPN and Bypassing, router works great for me.

Thank you for your work @Voxel and @ Kamoj!

Glad I'm. It the only one with the internet phone issue.
(It's a USB headset phone that plugs into a computer/laptop - like you see in a typical office environment).

I've turning off all adblocking, so I know it's not that.
It's strange.
I had the same issue again this morning, but I've changes VPN server to a different one which has less load of it today, and my phone now seems to be fine at the moment.
With or without VPN bypassing on.

So without checking further, I've found;
- high load VPN server caused issue with phone with either VPN on or bypassed.
- low load VPN server has no issues with either VPN on or bypassed.

Strange that even bypassing the VPN has issues caused by the VPN. It must not be fully bypassed, or the VPN on the router itself still causes the issue.

Due to needing the phone for work, I'm going into the router settings throughout the day and each day now to make sure I'm on a low loaded VPN server.
Hello,

I did some more checking on my pone issue from the other day. I am thinking it was due to my bad (and highly variable) internet service as today everything works OK - whether I bypass VPN or not.

Thanks,
BL

Hello everyone,

I'm running Voxel 80.4SF and Kamoj 5.4b4 on R7800. Tried AdGuard home and changed ISP's DNS with their's but web pages would not load in browsers. On their reddit, I found they had some issues sometime last week. I also got the 100% CPU Load Total and it seems to go away after a while, no matter what I do. CPU temp went at 72 the highest.

Tested Private Internet Access (both 128 and 256) setup and I only managed to get download speeds of 20-35Mbits out of 230Mbit/s that Xfinity provides me with. Strangely (for me) my upload speed of 10 Mbit/s stays the same with or without VPN activated. I don't know how to setup a manual VPN connection (without Kamoj add-on), as I tried everything from Voxel's readme and couldn't get it to work.
Another issue I've noticed, when I have the PIA VPN up and add my desktop to VPN Bypassing list, any web page I try to open I get "the connection has timed out" error. My Win 10 and R7800 show that i still have internet access. I tried closing the VPN, adding the desktop to bypassing and then restarting the VPN and got the same result as when i was adding the desktop to the list while VPN was up. Also tried it with my Galaxy S9 phone and when connected to my home wifi, no page would load in the browsers.

Bought Surfshark to test the speeds and it doesn't work with the setup. (In the add-on, I can get the countries to load, but not the servers, and if I hit Create Config, the red square next to OpenVPn Client changes from red to green, but the connection status stays red, and the vpn doesn't work as any ip site can pin point my location).

VPN's installed directly on my desktop (Win 10) gave me good speeds in testing. (D: 160 PIA and 190 Surfshark; U: 10 for both). I'm located in Chicago, and I got pings of 20-40 ms with Chicago, Toronto, New York and Washington servers. I also got good speeds on Samsung and Iphone via apps.

I've tested 2.80SF and 2.80.4SF with 5.3b30 and 5.4b4. When I try a new setup, I reset the router and usually after 5 -6 tries I reinstall Voxel and Kamoj. When I have browsing issues, I try Firefox, Chrome and Edge. I'm also clearing the data, cache, cookies etc.

I wanted to share my weekend testing experiences, especially with VPN speeds as I found scarce info on forums.
Any advice on how to setup OpenVPN (manually or with the add-on) will be appreciated. I'm new at this router and privacy stuff and I had to google almost every word in Voxel's readme. :)

Sorry but I have never used the auto VPN config generator in the add-on. However, manually setting up the configs has always worked well for me.

I may have misunderstood, but if you haven't tried to manually enter a downloaded config into the add-on's "Create/Edit an OpenVPN Client Configuration manually" section, maybe you want to try that?

As for speeds, my satellite internet reception is very poor and speeds vary a lot. But as near as I can tell, if anything, I get slightly better speeds on the router than I do on my Linux devices that connect through their own software.

BL

Thank you for this long detailed report, very nice!
Easy way to try openvpn settings is to first auto generate
A config, and then just edit that one!

Important if you have problems like you have with auto generation:
Switch off the openvpn client while making the configurations!

For some providers you can select Recommended to get the fastest server or the one with lowest load or shortest ping time.

Hello everyone,

Sorry but I have never used the auto VPN config generator in the add-on. However, manually setting up the configs has always worked well for me.

I may have misunderstood, but if you haven't tried to manually enter a downloaded config into the add-on's "Create/Edit an OpenVPN Client Configuration manually" section, maybe you want to try that?

As for speeds, my satellite internet reception is very poor and speeds vary a lot. But as near as I can tell, if anything, I get slightly better speeds on the router than I do on my Linux devices that connect through their own software.

BL

Thanks for your reply and advice, blueliner.

I tried that by downloading from both VPN providers the Chicago server configuration file and then using the "Create/Edit an OpenVPN Client Configuration manually" section. For PIA it didn't improve the speeds and for Surfshark it did nothing (as in it still didn't work). I didn't edit the files from the providers, just open and copy/paste. I will do more tests with different files.

In my tests I'm losing almost 90% of my download speed by setting up OpneVPN at router level, and I was curious what other people have experienced. I've read on this forum about users that have setup Express, Nord VPN and others, so I was hoping they would share some statistics. I'm trying to figure out if it's the provider or my lack of knowledge. There's a theory that the speeds depend on the router's processing power, but Voxel proved that R7800 doesn't lack that. And users got VERY different results with the same router. I know that speeds depend on the ISP, distance to closest server, time of the day, and many, many other factors...

Cheers!

Thank you for this long detailed report, very nice!
Easy way to try openvpn settings is to first auto generate
A config, and then just edit that one!

Important if you have problems like you have with auto generation:
Switch off the openvpn client while making the configurations!

For some providers you can select Recommended to get the fastest server or the one with lowest load or shortest ping time.

All I managed to do so far was to auto generate :). What should I edit to the auto generated config? I didn't try that as I don't know what to edit. Could you give some tips?

I'm switching off OpenVpn every time I make a change. I tried Recommended for PIA and it chose a server that gave me slighter better speeds. No results with Surfshark.

Cheers!

Are you using the speedtest .sh in the Kamoj addon?I found all different results using other ones you find on the internet and the netgear app one

Depending on VPN supplier I get speeds from 80-120 Mbps.
The maximum I could reach ever was some 140 Mbps using a few very fast torrents. So the Voxel version of R7800 definitely gives you 100+ Mbps.
Search this forum or open a new thread for speed tips.
Openvpn providers I have used does not any longer respect all the settings, as buffer sizes, so it's more difficult now than before to
Get the highest speed!
You can experiment with mtu sizes and mtu fix, but check the log file for each change and see what the server response is. The addon is already optimized at some point for each supported provider, but we live in a changing world...

I don't have access to all VPN providers such as Surfshark and can not test it unless I get an account to try. I have used my share of free accounts there ;-), but it's possible they have changed something that makes the addon fail, but by manually change the config and watch the log file, you should succeed.

ExpressVPN that i recently implemented gave me a steady 100 Mbps from different servers.

Thank you again for your reports!
All I managed to do so far was to auto generate :). What should I edit to the auto generated config? I didn't try that as I don't know what to edit. Could you give some tips?

I'm switching off OpenVpn every time I make a change. I tried Recommended for PIA and it chose a server that gave me slighter better speeds. No results with Surfshark.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Depending on VPN supplier I get speeds from 80-120 Mbps.
The maximum I could reach ever was some 140 Mbps using a few very fast torrents. So the Voxel version of R7800 definitely gives you 100+ Mbps.
Search this forum or open a new thread for speed tips.
Openvpn providers I have used does not any longer respect all the settings, as buffer sizes, so it's more difficult now than before to
Get the highest speed!
You can experiment with my sizes and my fix, but check the log file for each change and see what the server response is. The addon is already optimized at some point for each supported provider, but we live in a changing world...

I don't have access to all VPN providers such as Surfshark and can not test it unless I get an account to try. I have used my share of free accounts there ;-), but it's possible they have changed something that makes the addon fail, but by manually change the config and watch the log file, you should succeed.

ExpressVPN that i recently implemented gave me a steady 100 Mbps from different servers.

Thank you again for your reports!

This is some good info. What is your ISP max speed? Because if you have a 1 Gig connection and you get 100 Mbps with VPN, that's 10% so if I'm getting 30 out of 230, I'm in the same range, which means everything works great and this is the best average that I can get. I hope this makes sense. :)

I'll look into some speed tips and test as much as i can till the end of the month, as right now I have 2 VPN providers for the next two years and I need to drop one of them before the 30 day refund window expires. :)

Thanks!

This is some good info. What is your ISP max speed? Because if you have a 1 Gig connection and you get 100 Mbps with VPN, that's 10% so if I'm getting 30 out of 230, I'm in the same range, which means everything works great and this is the best average that I can get. I hope this makes sense. :)

I'll look into some speed tips and test as much as i can till the end of the month, as right now I have 2 VPN providers for the next two years and I need to drop one of them before the 30 day refund window expires. :)

Thanks!
It doesn't work on percentage as you imply.
I've got a 70MB connection and I get full 70MB when using VPN (100%)

What Kamoj was saying that you can get VPN speeds upto that amount, not a percentage of your connection.

Check with your VPN what speed they go up to.
Some providers do 20MB, others 50MB, others 100+MB for example.
You may want to switch to wireguard if you want 200+MB speed.

Last edited:
Hello,

I haven't found any settings that make much difference on my VPN speeds. My satellite isp dynamically varies the speed I get - so speeds may change from one moment to the next. For example, these tests were all run within a 15 minute period today. All VPN tests were done using Cyberghost OpenVPN running udp on port 443:

Netgear QOS speedtest with VPN off
DOWNLOAD UPLOAD
6.79Mbps 7.16Mbps
Kamoj speedtest.sh with VPN off
DL=5710/6249/6789, UL=5214/5229/5245 (Kbps)

2nd run Netgear QOS speedtest with VPN off
DOWNLOAD UPLOAD
21.29Mbps 5.38Mbps
2nd run Kamoj speedtest.sh with VPN off
DL=9873/13538/17203, UL=5201/5223/5246 (Kbps)

1st run Netgear QOS speedtest with VPN on
DOWNLOAD UPLOAD
20.27Mbps 3.99Mbps
1st run Kamoj speedtest.sh with VPN on
DL=10720/11121/11522, UL=5143/5480/5817 (Kbps)

2nd run Netgear QOS speedtest with VPN on
DOWNLOAD UPLOAD
19.06Mbps 7.85Mbps
2nd run Kamoj speedtest.sh with VPN on
DL=7553/9417/11281, UL=5207/5293/5379 (Kbps)

As you can see, speeds are all over the place and in general the Netgear speedtest shows faster speeds. This is typical for what I see. At the same time, you can see that the VPN speed is probably at least 50%+ of the non VPN speed.

For comparison this is a speedtest done on an Intel NUC (older i5 quad core unit) running Arch Linux. VPN is Windscribe-cli (I don't have Cyberghost set up on it) and speedtest is by speedtest.net

NUC with VPN off
Download: 14.84 Mbit/s
Upload: 5.66 Mbit/s
NUC with VPN on
Download: 2.19 Mbit/s
Upload: 2.96 Mbit/s

Once again, this is typical for this machine running on Windscribe. Hope this helps... I apologize if this is somewhat off topic, but I think this shows the add-on VPN is working well for me and the speedtest.sh is pretty much in the ballpark. I've been very impressed and happy with the VPN performance on the R9000 with Voxel and the Kamoj Add-on!

BL

I've tested Surfshark, and the add-on (v5.4b4) is working fine to generate the configs.
But I can not verify that the connection works.
Can you please describe in details what your problem with Surfshark is?

Cheers!

It doesn't work on percentage as you imply.
I've got a 70MB connection and I get full 70MB when using VPN (100%)

What Kamoj was saying that you can get VPN speeds upto that amount, not a percentage of your connection.

Check with your VPN what speed they go up to.
Some providers do 20MB, others 50MB, others 100+MB for example.
You may want to switch to wireguard if you want 200+MB speed.

Thanks for your reply. I got what Kamoj was saying, but for me, percentages paint a better picture. But for this, percentages are not enough, since there is a processing limitation as you guys pointed out, and for those who have a 1Gbit connection, 50% speed with VPN is a fantasy right now. :)
Speeds are from VPN provided apps installed on Win 10. My ISP speeds are D:230 and U: 11. All tests were done with Toronto server. I'm in Chicago.
Surfshark - D: 191 U: 10
PIA - D: 132 U: 10.95

With OpenVPN client activated on R7800:
PIA - D: 30 U: 10.22
SurfShark - D: 50 U: 9.7

Haven't tried Wireguard yet, but will do in the future.
You and blueliner are painting 2 very different pictures. But you both get good results with VPN setup at the router level. I'm guessing he's speeds are like that due to his satellite isp. Thank you both for sharing this info.

@ blueliner:
Pretty interesting NUC test. I was wondering how the mini PC's are handling VPNs.
My Netgear QOS speedtest without VPN are also higher then what speedtest tells me at browser level (about 250Mbit which is a 20-25 increase). But, my ISP speeds are constant without VPN and reading more about this, it seems that I should be able to get close to 100Mbit with not much trouble.
I managed to manually setup SurfShark with OpenVPN and I got the following speeds: D-50Mbit and U-9.7, which is the best so far, and something that I can live with. Speeds are constant on desktop, galaxy s9 and samsung tablet. (ran 3 test for each, around 30 min apart)
But then, reading your post again, I figured I should try the speedtest.sh. And I was very surprised of the results:

DL=94504/96087/97785, UL=9932/10111/10221 (Kbps)

This looks very good and confirms what Kamoj said about what he experienced. So, at router level I have a much higher speed than at browser level. (on any device)

@kamoj:
I did a manual config and things work as you said they should. Yey! Very happy about that!!
Before that I tried the auto config and it was still not working. Attached some pics and the log. It must be something weird going on with my system.
I chose Canada at the first test (that's why you can see Canada in pic 1). When that didn't work, I stopped the OpenVPN, unchecked the general settings, restarted the router and tried on a different browser. The pics are from my second try.

Thank you guys!
Cheers!

Attachments

• 1. let surfshark load.JPG
    1. let surfshark load.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 2. countries loaded-select canada.JPG
    2. countries loaded-select canada.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 3. hit create config and start vpn.JPG
    3. hit create config and start vpn.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 4. no config found.JPG
    4. no config found.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 136
  • ss vpn log.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I got what Kamoj was saying, but for me, percentages paint a better picture. But for this, percentages are not enough, since there is a processing limitation as you guys pointed out, and for those who have a 1Gbit connection, 50% speed with VPN is a fantasy right now. :)
Speeds are from VPN provided apps installed on Win 10. My ISP speeds are D:230 and U: 11. All tests were done with Toronto server. I'm in Chicago.
Surfshark - D: 191 U: 10
PIA - D: 132 U: 10.95

With OpenVPN client activated on R7800:
PIA - D: 30 U: 10.22
SurfShark - D: 50 U: 9.7

Haven't tried Wireguard yet, but will do in the future.
You and blueliner are painting 2 very different pictures. But you both get good results with VPN setup at the router level. I'm guessing he's speeds are like that due to his satellite isp. Thank you both for sharing this info.

@ blueliner:
Pretty interesting NUC test. I was wondering how the mini PC's are handling VPNs.
My Netgear QOS speedtest without VPN are also higher then what speedtest tells me at browser level (about 250Mbit which is a 20-25 increase). But, my ISP speeds are constant without VPN and reading more about this, it seems that I should be able to get close to 100Mbit with not much trouble.
I managed to manually setup SurfShark with OpenVPN and I got the following speeds: D-50Mbit and U-9.7, which is the best so far, and something that I can live with. Speeds are constant on desktop, galaxy s9 and samsung tablet. (ran 3 test for each, around 30 min apart)
But then, reading your post again, I figured I should try the speedtest.sh. And I was very surprised of the results:

DL=94504/96087/97785, UL=9932/10111/10221 (Kbps)

This looks very good and confirms what Kamoj said about what he experienced. So, at router level I have a much higher speed than at browser level. (on any device)

@kamoj:
I did a manual config and things work as you said they should. Yey! Very happy about that!!
Before that I tried the auto config and it was still not working. Attached some pics and the log. It must be something weird going on with my system.
I chose Canada at the first test (that's why you can see Canada in pic 1). When that didn't work, I stopped the OpenVPN, unchecked the general settings, restarted the router and tried on a different browser. The pics are from my second try.

Thank you guys!
Cheers!
Glad to see OpenVPN is working for you now. I only wish I was able to see speeds like you get....cheers

BL

again AdGuard high CPU issue.

Mem: 463268K used, 20256K free, 0K shrd, 17880K buff, 155500K cached
Load average: 8.36 5.93 5.01
_PID USER _ _ STATUS _ RSS _PPID %CPU %MEM COMMAND
32033 root _ _ S _ _ _71164 _ _ 1 89.2 14.7 AdGuardHome

1603089499141.png

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!