What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on Beta testing II

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kamoj

Very Senior Member
This thread is now obsolete, please continue with:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/k...etgear-r7800-r8900-r9000-with-voxel-fw.76440/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I make beta versions of the next kamoj add-on.

The beta has a lot more functions than the official 5.0 beta,
but is also very more tested and with few known bugs.

N.B: Voxel firmware is a pre-requisite, not an option!

If you want to test betas you must apply by sending me a PM (Private Message)
after reading and accepting this, and tell me something about yourself:

To be a beta tester of this hobby project includes that you must be active
and also report your experience to me or the community, so that we together can
find bugs and introduce new functions.
Are you willing to give feedback, and or contribute to the community?

Can you tell me something more about yourself and your router? e.g.:

What router do you have?

What is your level of router/networking knowledge?
How you got to know about the addon-on?

How long have you used Voxel firmware?
What are your expectations?
In what way do think can you help in the beta program?

Wishing you a good experience of the add-on!

This is a continuation of:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-beta-testing.67375/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-v5-for-netgear-r7800-x4s-and-r9000-x10.60590/

Last edited:
Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.4b27
--------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
This release will be the last beta version with new functionality,
unless significant issues are noted and reported.
When I consider this or a later beta to be stable, the addon will
be released to the public.
So please test it hard, and report your thoughts/issues/questions!

Noted that there are many differences between how the same WiFi HW is handled, e.g.
R9000 has optimization for 2.4 GHz and R7800 for 5 GHz.
NEW:
- Router Information: Added: Router Configuration Information, including corruption check.
- System Information: Added: Aegis abuse list
- Settings: Added: Download and use MAC address list to identify devices
- Restart Supervision: Added nvram parameter: kamoj_supervision_delay
Used to delay supervision from taking place this time after boot.
To enable this option, you need to run e.g. these commands from router command prompt:
nvram set kamoj_supervision_delay=180; nvram commit
#If not set, 150 seconds is used.
- Restart Supervision: Supervise WiFi activity: Added nvram parameter: kamoj_wifi_activation_supervision_delay
Used to delay supervision from taking place this time after boot. (@n1llam1)
Purpose is to give WiFi clients time to connect before WiFi is restarted.
To enable this option, you need to run e.g. these commands from router command prompt:
nvram set kamoj_wifi_activation_supervision_delay=900; nvram commit
#If not set, 720 seconds is used (to let DFS 10 minutes scanning finish).
FIXED:
- Router Information: List of WiFi RSSI list gets truncated when many connected clients (@n1llam1)
- System Information: Addon processes: Fixed: "Not found" for disable_gui_timeout
- Adguard Home short-cut: Don't use https even if router is accessed via https. (@stern67)
- OpenVPN Client: Supposedly speeded up somewhat. Same type as in qcawifi.sh. (R7800)
- WiFi: Corrected bugs in qcawifi.sh
(Used sysctl settings that was later erased by DNI/Netgear code)
The bug consequence would be that WiFi degrades after start, when Netgear/DNI loads other settings).
This should be able to merge if someone have the power, urge and time to do so...
- NSS: Corrected bug in qca-nss-drv. Same type as in qcawifi.sh. (R7800)
- NSS: Corrected bugs in qca-nss-ecm. Same type as in qcawifi.sh. (R7800)
- nss_status: Corrected. Thank you for code example! (@n1llam1)
Added support for sleep time defined as float as well as integer.
CHANGED:
- Router Information: Adguard Home: Don't count comments and duplicates in server count. (@blueliner)
- AdGuard Home: Added nvram variable kamoj_download_timeout. (@blueliner)
To use it run this from command line:
nvram set kamoj_download_timeout=99; nvram commit
- General: Hard coded timeout times changed to
kamoj_ping_timeout, kamoj_long_ping_timeout and kamoj_download_timeout
- timeout command : Changed to accept time as float.
- WAN LED flash orange (R7800) or is OFF (R9000) after boot (@n1llam1) (@stern67)
- Don't Set WAN amber LED when switching off VPN.
- Minor changes
- FAQ.txt updated

Thanks Kamoj

As always, your efforts are most appreciated

Smooth update of both R9000 (primary router and main AP) and R7800 (secondary AP point)

Both routers running latest Voxel firmware with Aegis 1.7.9 on external drive on R9000

Utilising VPN (Surfshark via OpenVPN) with VPN bypass for some clients (some of which use Surfshark VPN via wireguard)

Everything looks OK and is running smoothly following update to 5.4b27.

Nice list of features @kamoj :)
Your addon is becoming hugely impressive.

I was wondering if you would not mind sharing the bug fix for qcawifi.sh, qca-nss-drv and qca-nss-ecm?
I think these fixes of DNI/NG bugs could be directly included in the @Voxel R7800 firmware.

Nice list of features @kamoj :)
Your addon is becoming hugely impressive.

I was wondering if you would not mind sharing the bug fix for qcawifi.sh, qca-nss-drv and qca-nss-ecm?
I think these fixes of DNI/NG bugs could be directly included in the @Voxel R7800 firmware.
Thank you for your kindness, very appreciated!

The code is scripts only so it's just to run diff between 5.4b26 and 5.4b27!
(Except that I also corrected some non-posix code and added support for AdGuard of course ... ;-)
I'm sure Voxel will do it if he get the time.

Thanks Kamoj

As always, your efforts are most appreciated

Smooth update of both R9000 (primary router and main AP) and R7800 (secondary AP point)

Both routers running latest Voxel firmware with Aegis 1.7.9 on external drive on R9000

Utilising VPN (Surfshark via OpenVPN) with VPN bypass for some clients (some of which use Surfshark VPN via wireguard)

Everything looks OK and is running smoothly following update to 5.4b27.
Very good to read, thank you!

Actually I'm quite surprised that there are so many add-on users using the R9000!
I mean the R9000 is expensive and not common, and it's really overrepresented among add-on users!

Very good to read, thank you!

Actually I'm quite surprised that there are so many add-on users using the R9000!
I mean the R9000 is expensive and not common, and it's really overrepresented among add-on users!

In my case I was changing my internet provider to mobile 4g+ using a Cat 12 modem (3 carrier aggregation) from another provider. Necessitated an external modem. I also needed to replace another intermediate router/switch and AP. I had looked at 5G but we live in the countryside and 5G is unlikely to be of benefit for quite some time.

At the same time, I was also changing VPN provider and anticipated being able to use the wireguard client on the router to improve speeds. The R9000 has much higher speed potential using wireguard than the R7800 so I bought that.

Unfortunately, the VPN (Surfshark) has not implemented wireguard for routers – can only use via their apps until they do. The R9000 was more expensive than a second R7800 but managed to get a good deal that made it wothwhile. I am hoping that with Voxel’s firmware and your addons the present setup will satisfy my requirements for a number of years.

I suspect that one of the reasons why there are quite a few R9000 users is that someone interested in getting the best out of their system and willing to use 3rd party firmware etc is also willing, if they have the means, to buy the best router they can.

Finally, your add on together with Voxel’s firmware makes setting up and fine tuning non standard systems (mixed access/multiple AP’s, central VPN with selective bypass & monitoring) possible, and easier, for those of us with limited or non-existent coding abilities or linux programming skills. Since first getting my R7800 and then the R9000 I have learnt a lot about the programming but still way short of what you know.

In my case I was changing my internet provider to mobile 4g+ using a Cat 12 modem (3 carrier aggregation) from another provider. Necessitated an external modem. I also needed to replace another intermediate router/switch and AP. I had looked at 5G but we live in the countryside and 5G is unlikely to be of benefit for quite some time.

At the same time, I was also changing VPN provider and anticipated being able to use the wireguard client on the router to improve speeds. The R9000 has much higher speed potential using wireguard than the R7800 so I bought that.

Unfortunately, the VPN (Surfshark) has not implemented wireguard for routers – can only use via their apps until they do. The R9000 was more expensive than a second R7800 but managed to get a good deal that made it wothwhile. I am hoping that with Voxel’s firmware and your addons the present setup will satisfy my requirements for a number of years.

I suspect that one of the reasons why there are quite a few R9000 users is that someone interested in getting the best out of their system and willing to use 3rd party firmware etc is also willing, if they have the means, to buy the best router they can.

Finally, your add on together with Voxel’s firmware makes setting up and fine tuning non standard systems (mixed access/multiple AP’s, central VPN with selective bypass & monitoring) possible, and easier, for those of us with limited or non-existent coding abilities or linux programming skills. Since first getting my R7800 and then the R9000 I have learnt a lot about the programming but still way short of what you know.
It's very interesting for me to read about your (and other users) usage and history.
It makes me more motivated to continue the add-on development.
Without users like you there would be no more add-on versions released!

So a very big thank you :cool: for taking the time to report here!

Thank you @kamoj. I have upgraded to 5.4b27 on both my R7800 devices, one in router mode and the second in AP mode.

I really appreciate the addition of the *_supervision_delay nvram parameters. The System Information->Aegis abuse list provides quite interesting information.

- Router Information: List of WiFi RSSI list gets truncated when many connected clients
I see the list is no longer truncated even when I have as many as 28 connected clients on the 5G band.

- WAN LED flash orange (R7800) or is OFF (R9000) after boot
This is fixed. I do not see WAN LED flash orange (R7800) after boot.

I have enabled bandwidth monitoring, am keeping an eye on it and will circle back if I see any issue with it.

Thank you @kamoj. I have upgraded to 5.4b27 on both my R7800 devices, one in router mode and the second in AP mode.

I really appreciate the addition of the *_supervision_delay nvram parameters. The System Information->Aegis abuse list provides quite interesting information.

- Router Information: List of WiFi RSSI list gets truncated when many connected clients
I see the list is no longer truncated even when I have as many as 28 connected clients on the 5G band.

- WAN LED flash orange (R7800) or is OFF (R9000) after boot
This is fixed. I do not see WAN LED flash orange (R7800) after boot.

I have enabled bandwidth monitoring, am keeping an eye on it and will circle back if I see any issue with it.
Thank you for the report, much appreciated!
Also good to get tested in AP-mode!!!

Hi again,
My config is R7800 FW:V1.0.2.84SF (Voxel). Kamoj Add-on:5.4b27, AdGuard Home, version v0.106.1-b.1 and Aegis 1.7.9.
I found this issue:
Aegis has only configured default Blocklists sources lists. It doesn't matter if logging is enabled or not (log file exists, however in my case was empty)
Every time when you choose Kamoj Menu -> System Information -> Aegis abuse list [Show] nothing happens but appears orphan(?) "tee" process with ~80% CPU usage.
Regards
Mark

anyone here using this ?
might be a good addition for the addon
Thank you for the tip!
Meanwhile be aware of and use the Netgear built in function for blocking unknown devices: ADVANCED: Security : Access Control.
Connected devices can be found in the OS log: /var/log/log-message - at least if DHCP is used.

Thank you for the report, much appreciated!
Also good to get tested in AP-mode!!!
I am running into an issue with the bandwidth usage page not being populated with information.

The screen snippet for router mode is included below:

Router_Mode_Bandwidth_Usage.JPG

The screen snippet for AP mode is included below:

AP_Mode_Bandwidth_Usage.JPG

Please let me know if there is any log file that would be useful in troubleshooting this issue. Thanks.

I am running into an issue with the bandwidth usage page not being populated with information.

The screen snippet for router mode is included below:

View attachment 33563

The screen snippet for AP mode is included below:

View attachment 33564

Please let me know if there is any log file that would be useful in troubleshooting this issue. Thanks.
It takes 2 minutes to populate.

To see the iptables counters:
Code:
iptables -L RRDIPT -vnx -t filter
To see the cron jobs dealing the whole thing: ADVANCED: Kamoj Menu: System Information: cron jobs.
Should show:

Code:
/tmp/addons/cron/addon_bwusage_setup/crontabs:
*/1           * * * * /usr/bin/addon_bwusage.sh setup

/tmp/addons/cron/addon_bwusage_update_offpeak1/crontabs:
*/30,59   0-6 * * * /usr/bin/addon_bwusage.sh update /tmp/addons/addon_bwusage/addon_bwusage.db offpeak

/tmp/addons/cron/addon_bwusage_update_peak1/crontabs:
*/2      7-17 * * * /usr/bin/addon_bwusage.sh update /tmp/addons/addon_bwusage/addon_bwusage.db peak

/tmp/addons/cron/addon_bwusage_update_peak2/crontabs:
*/2     18-22 * * * /usr/bin/addon_bwusage.sh update /tmp/addons/addon_bwusage/addon_bwusage.db peak

/tmp/addons/cron/addon_bwusage_update_offpeak2/crontabs:
*/30,59    23 * * * /usr/bin/addon_bwusage.sh update /tmp/addons/addon_bwusage/addon_bwusage.db offpeak
If you doubt the numbers, make sure QoS is off.

Hi again,
My config is R7800 FW:V1.0.2.84SF (Voxel). Kamoj Add-on:5.4b27, AdGuard Home, version v0.106.1-b.1 and Aegis 1.7.9.
I found this issue:
Aegis has only configured default Blocklists sources lists. It doesn't matter if logging is enabled or not (log file exists, however in my case was empty)
Every time when you choose Kamoj Menu -> System Information -> Aegis abuse list [Show] nothing happens but appears orphan(?) "tee" process with ~80% CPU usage.
Regards
Mark
Ok, thank you for finding this bug! Please logon to router prompt and patch the bug by running:
Code:
sed -i 's/"$ABUSE_LIST""$ABUSE_LIST"/"$ABUSE_LIST"/g' /www/cgi-bin/kamoj.sh
And the reboot router.
Or you can add the same command at Settings 2 : Create start script entries manually (Executed at boot time) and reboot the router.

Hi Kamoj,

This report relates to an R7800 running Voxel 84SF and Kamoj b26 (because the report relates to measurements taken during the month of April, before the release of b27; having said that, it doesn't appear that any of the changes in b27 would likely affect what I am reporting).

The issue is the inaccuracy of "Bandwidth usage." My ISP reports my usage for the month of April as 148 GB; Kamoj b26 reports 451 M total d/l, and 898 M total u/l, for a total of 1349 M. That is a huge difference.

FYI, QoS is off. I have a supplemental bandwidth monitor (NetWorx) enabled in my primary workstation (running Win10 Pro), which generally corroborates the information provided by my ISP.

Let me know if there are any tests you would like me to run.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!