What's new

MacBook Pro cant get IP-address over DHCP with378.53 or later??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johan Hallberg

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a strange problem that I cant solve. I've upgraded to the latest version (378.56 at this time), and DHCP works on all my machines (windows 7/10, iPhones, iPad, QNAP NAS, Apple iMac) but NOT on my MacBook Pro late 2007 running El Capitain version 10.11.0.

I had the same issue running Mac OS X 10.10 when I was trying 378.53, but I returned to 378.52_0 because that one worked. Now I really want the latest version as it seams more stable and better. I have looked at logs on both the router (a AC87U) and the Mac. I can see that the Mac is trying, but it does not get a proper IP.

Anyome else who has this problem? Could anyone please give me a hint of what to do? I've tried rebooting (both the router and the Mac), deleting config files on the Mac, safe mode on the Mac etc and nothing so far has made any difference. I don't want to go back to 378.52 again...

Thanks!

1) Get rid of the MBP. :)
2) Try a new ssid for the band(s) it connects on.
3) Wait for El Capitan to get the proper updates.
4) Try the test beta for your router.
5) Really; get rid of the MBP. :D

... but NOT on my MacBook Pro late 2007 running El Capitain version 10.11.0.

Thanks!

Click on the wireless icon in the menu bar while holding down the option key. You'll see an option to "Open Wireless Diagnostics..." Give that a try and see what it finds.

A couple of things to try. On your router set the wireless mode to 'N only' and the channel width to 40Mhz on 5GHz and 20Mhz on 2.4Ghz and see if that helps.

BTW, I have three Macs (all running El Capitan) connecting to a RT-AC87U and except for the well-documented 5GHz issues affecting the 87U, they work fine.

Edit: Install the 10.11.1 update.

Anyome else who has this problem? Could anyone please give me a hint of what to do?

Post your router's dhcp entries from syslog.

You can re-trigger dhcp request from your Mac by going to System Preferences > Network ... > Renew DHCP leases

I just had a client purchase a mac mini and when she unboxed it and powered it on found that she had trouble getting it to connect over wifi (This was with an AT&T wireless router). All her other devices worked fine with the router. The mini wouldn't even connect to her cell phone set in hotspot mode.

She called Apple support and they had her go into the network configuration page and create a new connection instead of using the existing wifi connection. Once she did that she was able to correctly associate with the wireless network. At that point we moved her back to the original wifi connection and it worked as it was supposed to.

Here's an image where she created that new connect:
https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/osx/sys_prefs_network.png

Worth a shot, even though it sounds like your issue is different (cannot associate vs no dhcp communication).

Anyome else who has this problem? Could anyone please give me a hint of what to do? I've tried rebooting (both the router and the Mac), deleting config files on the Mac, safe mode on the Mac etc and nothing so far has made any difference. I don't want to go back to 378.52 again...
Thanks!

I had a similar issue in the past - solved it by deleting all locations under system/network preferences, rebooting and then starting with a new location, name it Default or something, and delete the automatic profile if it's there then click done/apply and reboot again.. You can now connect to the network of your choice :)

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!