What's new

Modem/Router for Getting Mom on the Internet…

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sldysart

New Around Here
Getting my Mom started with an entry level (1.5M) DSL service from Quest for light web surfing and e-mail. She lives in a single level 3-br ranch home located in a residential neighborhood and would be using her HP laptop with built in Intel b/g/n card.

I expect a basic wireless b/g router with an integrated ADSL modem would simplify things greatly: fewer cables, simplified power-up sequence, less clutter, etc.

I presume the one box approach limits the flexibility of later switching to a cable provider as I haven't seen one with an ethernet WAN port. Are there other down sides to the all-in-one approach? (finger pointing with ISP?)

Deciding features are:
- reliable & acceptable to carrier
- low cost
- remote administration (I visit, but she is a airline flight away)

I am looking at:
Netgear DG834G ($79)
enus_thmb_product_dg834g_vv.gif

+ covers the basics, great price

Netgear DVG834 (ISP only?)
+ Includes filtered phone port
Netgear DVG631G (ISP only?)
dvg631_mainimage_thmb.gif

+ Pick up USB port and filtered phone port
- Lose 3 LAN ports
Netgear DGN2000 ($90)
enus_thmb_product_dgn2000.gif

+ Better coverage of N
? Draft N compatibility
D-Link DSL-2640B ($77)
DSL-2640B_cat2.jpg

? saw comment that remote admin is limited - no web interface

Any thoughts on these all-in-ones or the category in general?

thanks,
Scott

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." - Justice Louis D. Brandeis

I would strongly recommend using a modem or modem router from the ISP (if they provide one). That way she can contact their tech support and have a better chance of being supported.

Integrated modem/routers may reduce box clutter, but you are more limited in selection.

I can't comment on any of the products, since we don't test integrated modem/routers.

Agreed..stick with the one Quest wants to use, most DSL ISPs supply wireless home gateways. Less headaches when troubleshooting also..as it's "their equipment", versus some brand you picked yourself which their support may or may not be familiar with.

For basic home users, the ISP supplies devices usually do fine.

Thanks,
Qwest now has the Motorola® 3347 in their offering which I've seen favorable comments on. Promotional discounts bring it down to $40.