What's new

Most likely Router to stay on Supported List?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Elrendhel

New Around Here
Good afternoon Eric!

The RT-N66U used to be supported, but for whatever reason is no longer, and I respect that. From a Dev point of view, I'm sure that some routers are easier to work with than others, I presume due to their hardware/chipsets.

So my question is: are there routers on the current list that are most likely to CONTINUE to be supported for whatever reason?

Or looking at it from the other direction: are there are other Routers on your current Supported List that are more likely to be moved to the non-supported list due to hardware limitations?

Asuswrt-Merlin officially supports the following router models:
  • RT-AC66U_B1 (same firmware as the RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC68U (including revisions C1 and E1)
  • RT-AC68P (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC68UF (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC87
  • RT-AC3200
  • RT-AC88U
  • RT-AC3100
  • RT-AC5300
  • RT-AC1900 (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC1900P (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC86U (starting with version 382.1)
  • RT-AC2900 (same firmware as RT-AC86U)
  • RT-AX88U
(Note: the U, R and W variants are all supported, as they are the exact same hardware and firmware, only different marketing SKUs or different case color)

The following models are no longer officially supported:

• RT-N16
  • RT-N66U
  • RT-AC66U
  • RT-AC56U

I ask because I currently have an RT-AC5300 and an RT-N66U (this will be heading off with my college-bound son soon), but I do plan on getting at least one more Router in the future. Obviously, I only wanted to get one that was most likely to stay on the "officially supported" list for the foreseeable future.

Maybe a ranking system (say 1-5 stars) after each router in the current list to indicate it's ease on the Dev and therefore it's "staying-power" on your list?

Thank you for your time and consideration of this idea.

It will depend on Asus more than anything.

If the mainline Asuswrt continues to be released alongside the source code for a given router then Merlin will likely also do so to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe better to categorize in mainstream routers, then AC86U and AX88U with similar new architecture will probably get longer support than others while very old 68U types may be next to loose support.

i'd get one of the 1.8ghz cpu models simply for the better openvpn support.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!