What's new

Multiple AP/Multiple Band roaming setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Technomad

New Around Here
Having retired my Apple Airport Extreme, I now have a Linksys WRT1900ACS (802.11ac) as my primary router and 2*Airport Express devices (802.11n/5GHz) to cover my house, all connected by Ethernet (ie with the AX devices in bridge mode). I obviously want to maintain maximum throughput but was hoping that using single SSID would mean that as my devices roamed around the house, they'd automatically pick up whichever network was strongest and fastest.

That doesn't seem to be the case - everything seems to get dragged down to 802.11n speeds. So I've now separated the networks into a 5GHz, 802.11ac only network from the Linksys, with the second Linksys band set to broad compatibility (802.11n backwards, 2.4 Ghz) and a matching setup on the AXs under the same SSID as each other, but separate from the ac SSID.

The problem is that, even when sitting next to the Linksys, many of our devices (mostly Apple and ac supporting) hang on to the 2.4Ghz network at all costs.

When I manually flip to the ac network, I do get c. 400Mb/s download and around 300Mb/s+ upload, which is fine, otherwise I'm on the limit case of 802.11n speeds.

So is there a better way to set up this combination, the idea being to maximise throughput at any time with the minimum number of SSIDs?

TIA, from a forum newbie.
Richard

Last edited:
start by going into preferences on the Apple devices under Networks and select "forget" the 2.4 Ghz network SSID.

Then see if the 5Ghz coverage is sufficient.

start by going into preferences on the Apple devices under Networks and select "forget" the 2.4 Ghz network SSID.

Then see if the 5Ghz coverage is sufficient.

the 5Ghz coverage isn't the issue - it's the need for 2.4GHz coverage for legacy and guest devices.

If the 2.4GHz SSID is known by your clients and the signal strength is strong, the clients will join and stay there. That is a client issue. You wither need to have your clients forget the 2.4GHz SSID or turn the power down on that SSID to make sure it isn't the strongest.

I have three APs across my house...only two of them have 2.4Ghz enabled, and even then they are on very low power to try to avoid this issue.

MichaelCG, we had similar issues a while back trying to integrate a Linsys, then decided on getting another Airport Extreme, then banished the Linksys downstairs; It was either too buggy or wasn't as capable of intelligent/meshi-like roaming as the Apples. As the A-Expresses are one per room for the few 2.4 devices remaining, or that drop by for visits on odd occasions, we had some luck resetting them all, reassigning the same SSIDs from scratch again. FWIW, and as far as it goes I agree with your advice. Always difficult to get everything to plug and play nicely when so used to a brand that always works well together. Cheers.

Last edited:
I’d have happily stayed with an all-Apple setup, but 802.11n no longer cuts it for internet access. The issue seems to be a client reluctance to jump to a stronger network on another band - my iPhone 6s Plus stays on the ac network even when there’s no actual throughput and I’m standing next to the n AP. It then does the same in reverse.

So I’m looking for a setup strategy that mitigates this - my original idea of a single SSID and assuming that devices would automatically adopt the strongest, fastest signal has proven to be incorrect.

it is a client issue, not the AP's as you have proven by experience.
If you can dial down the power of the AP radio, try that. Somewhere around -67-to -72 db seems to be a trigger point for client to hop.

Having retired my Apple Airport Extreme, I now have a Linksys WRT1900ACS (802.11ac) as my primary router and 2*Airport Express devices (802.11n/5GHz) to cover my house, all connected by Ethernet (ie with the AX devices in bridge mode). I obviously want to maintain maximum throughput but was hoping that using single SSID would mean that as my devices roamed around the house, they'd automatically pick up whichever network was strongest and fastest.

That doesn't seem to be the case - everything seems to get dragged down to 802.11n speeds. So I've now separated the networks into a 5GHz, 802.11ac only network from the Linksys, with the second Linksys band set to broad compatibility (802.11n backwards, 2.4 Ghz) and a matching setup on the AXs under the same SSID as each other, but separate from the ac SSID.

The problem is that, even when sitting next to the Linksys, many of our devices (mostly Apple and ac supporting) hang on to the 2.4Ghz network at all costs.

When I manually flip to the ac network, I do get c. 400Mb/s download and around 300Mb/s+ upload, which is fine, otherwise I'm on the limit case of 802.11n speeds.

So is there a better way to set up this combination, the idea being to maximise throughput at any time with the minimum number of SSIDs?

Sorry to quote the whole post from OP - but this is a good example of "too many" AP's, and bad location of them... WiFi is like real estate, location is everything...

Roaming is largely client driven, not AP driven - Airport's do try to advise the clients on neighboring AP's within the same SSID, but even then, if the RSSI is good enough, the client will not jump...

If one splits SSID's within the LAN, that absolutely means that a client will stick to an AP as long as the RSSI is "good enough" - this is the main problem with splitting SSID's on the same AP or across AP's.

With Multiple AP's, one has to look at things as a system, and make the right choices.

In OP's situation - he's got a Linky WRT1900acs - one of the properties of that Router/AP, is that it is pretty hot on 2.4GHz, and can be fairly hot on 5GHz as well - so time to do a site survey...

Exellent idea, site survey. Our Airport Extreme (and for a very brief time the Linky) was connected by Ethernet to the AC3200, and then the switch behind the router during tests last year. The tests went well and devices switched without any noticeable latency other issues. It was the closest we've come to 'intelligent roaming' at home with different makes of routers/APs in the mix, only due to SSID being the same throughout. Time permitting, I'll connect our Linky up again to see what if anything relates to OP, but it won't be the same, as we don't have as many 2.4 devices to contend with. Jesting to OP; you could ask everyone with older/2.4 devices to hang around in one room with a 2.4 AP, or suggest they all upgrade to 5 GHz AC:)

A contacts managed to convert her Linky to Advanced Tomato, not many were successful getting other FW to stick so she wrote a tutorial and made an HD video ; says it's still working great on all bands but better with AT. I never got around to converting ours due to work/time issues. Not related to OP, and Linky never intended anyone to use other than Linky FW limiting the router to 32mb of NVRAM. Cheers.

Last edited:
Free and handy tool for iPhone/iPad users - Apple's Airport Utility has a scanner built in - so one can take RSSI measurements with it, and export out to a CSV file for additional analysis...

Well, info re the utility I somehow missed; does that also apply for the utility in Windows? Much appreciated, Thanks.

I figured that's why I never found it in the utility on the PC, only on the iPad. Thanks. Will have to snag a new/refurbed Mac fourth quarter when they're relatively inexpensive again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!