What's new

Multiple VPN Connections Possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brenneke

Regular Contributor
RT-AC68U 384.4_2

Not sure if this an be done - is it possible to have router somehow connect to multiple VPN servers on different networks? (e.g. server 1 on 2.4 network, server 2 on guest network) I need to be on US server for Pandora to work and on Canadian server for wifi calling to work. I am currently using OVPN with no issues.

If you really mean running multiple VPN clients on the router yes or mostly yes using policy based routing. The router can using Merlin on some models run up to five VPN clients each of which can be to a different VPN server. If you use the same VPN provider you probably will have to find other ports than the default port that you used for the first instance. It doesn't work or work very well if multiple VPN clients are using the same port so you should be sure that each VPN client is connecting using a unique port number.

Unfortunately on connecting devices using WiFi their radios (2.4 & 5 ) will be assigned the same IP on your LAN regardless of which radio it connects with, so without writing a custom script this device will be routed to a single VPN client or the WAN based on this IP not which radio it is using.

So I take it that is a yes? I am a full on newb so english only please!
I do know about the 5 clients allowed and do have most of them set up. I was hoping it would be somehow possible to have different clients running simultaneously connected to different servers and on different networks - one could simply decide which network to connect to in able to be on the desired server.
Jack, if your script will do this for me somehow, would love to learn how to set it up.
Thanks for replies.