What's new

My USB device disappears after 3-4 day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

barutchiev

Regular Contributor
Hello. My USB device disappear after 3-4 days of operation. After removing it and putting it back in, everything is normal. After a few days of work, everything repeats itself. This is my second device. The first one had the same problems and I changed it, but with that - the problem is the same. It doesn't matter if I use USB2 or 3. I have formatted it several times and installed everything new. There is no effect
ASUS RT-AC66U B1-
Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1_2
-(Diversion+Entware+Skynet+ scribe +uiScribe )

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-13-12-23-43-463_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-03-13-12-23-43-463_com.android.chrome.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 99
I don't really know what the problem is, but USB has always been a bit flakey ever since it was introduced. So nothing surprises me when it comes to that interface. Although not a direct response to what ails USB on that router, *sometimes* your best (and easiest) option is to punt and just schedule a regular nightly reboot! Esp. if you know for sure it will remain mounted between those reboots.

FWIW, in general, I've found the older USB flash drives far more reliable. That's why I still hang on to a bunch of old Kingston DataTraveler USB flash drives, even though their capacities are pathetic by today's standards (512MB-2GB). Even so, they're usually more than adequate for my needs on the router (I'm not trying to use it as a full-blown NAS).

FWIW, in general, I've found the older USB flash drives far more reliable
True. My old USB 2.0 Kingstons are unkillable, I have a few that are 10+ years old in my drawer or plugged to my routers. However newer USB 3.0, half of them tend to die within two years. Brand makes a big difference there, you have to do a lot of research to find one that doesn't get widely reported as short-lived.

Suggest you use an EXT3 format on the USB with the AC66U_B1. There were some issues with that router not reading an EXT4 format which I believe were fixed. EXT3, however, had no problems. And, makesure you use a thumb drive or SSD with Entware apps.

True. My old USB 2.0 Kingstons are unkillable, I have a few that are 10+ years old in my drawer or plugged to my routers. However newer USB 3.0, half of them tend to die within two years. Brand makes a big difference there, you have to do a lot of research to find one that doesn't get widely reported as short-lived.

I've noticed the oldies tend to be more reliable as bootable USB flash drives too.

Suggest you use an EXT3 format on the USB with the AC66U_B1. There were some issues with that router not reading an EXT4 format which I believe were fixed. EXT3, however, had no problems. And, makesure you use a thumb drive or SSD with Entware apps.
I use ext3 because I had problems with ext4. Exactly on your recommendation. Before with Ext 4 it became unusable over time. I had to reinstall everything anew every time. Now it works without a problem, but in a few days, the router throws it out. I tried Adata, now I'm with Kingston.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!