What's new

Need advice for wireless router for about 10-15 light users

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shawndh

New Around Here
I've been tasked with setting up a network for an auditorium. I've been searching for a business class router because I assume they are more robust than the consumer class stuff, but the prices are a bit out of budget for the serious stuff. All I really need is something reliable that can handle about 15 users max for about 2 hrs of light web use at a time. This is what we have/need:

• Comcast Business Class service (avg 21Mb/s X 6Mb/s)
  • Gateway: Netgear CG3000DCR cable modem gateway
  • Area to be covered: Wide open 100ft X 60ft room
  • Use: No wireless streaming of video but there will be wired video streaming for special events
  • Will use OpenDNS to block/filter inappropriate sites and content (if necessary)

It may be used later on to connect video cameras. Just looking for something reliable with good range to cover the auditorium. There will only be one or two desktops hardwired to the router. Speed is not that big a concern for the wireless users - just want something reliable with little upkeep.

This router will only be used wirelessly for about 2hrs every other day by an average of 8 users with iPads and other tablet devices. They may download a PDF or two, check email, and surf one particular online library for information, and that's it. Nothing heavy. I was thinking about adding access points but I don't think the usage will merit such a network. I'm open to flashing with DDWRT or Tomato as well if it will be of benefit to what I'm trying to accomplish. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on equipment that would be best for this application.

Equipment I've considered:
  • Netgear FVS318N business class router
  • NETGEAR WNR3500L-100NAS DD-WRT Open Source support
  • ASUS RT-N16 DD-WRT Open Source support
  • Netgear WNDR3700 or similar WNDR series
  • Linksys WRT54G (flashed with DDWRT or Tomato)

P.S. What's most confusing is that every router I've considered within a $150 price range has bad reviews. Netgear gets a considerable amount of bad reviews but I've used them exclusively for years and I have never had a problem with them. Even the cheap $30 routers I've had for years with no problems. Go figure!

Last edited:
90 views, 2 days, and not a single reply. Wow! I must be doing something wrong. After doing research, I realize that a real business solution would require a separate business router (nonwireless) and one or two wireless access points to handle many users. We may do this in the future, but for now, I'm going to just go the economical route since I don't believe the use will merit such a network that doesn't even have server.

Anyway, I've decided to go with a Netgear WNDR3700v4. I've been using an older v1 to test and its working just fine. The price is right at $80 locally, the range is excellent, the speeds are great, and it's very easy to set up OpenDNS with their Genie software on any device. I'll just have a cooling fan attached to it in the panel board to provide some cooling during meetings and see how that works out. Thanx for viewing anyway.

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of help.

As you noted, most of what you see are negative reviews. That's just the nature of the beast (and Internet reviews).

Your requirements are such that most any router should handle. The N600 class is a good choice. Most devices are N300 at most and more are N150.
Users also have the option of going to the quieter 5 GHz band if their devices support it.

The WNDR3700 is a decent choice. Hope it works out well for you.

Thanx. Set up the routers and they are working fine so far with no speed loss. I learned the WNDR3700v4 is much improved with a different processor compared to my v1. I got full full signal over 100ft from the router through walls. Hope it continues to perform well.

Be sure to put the routers on UPS. Should help reliability.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!