What's new

Need help with QoS and iCloud backup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

guibo

New Around Here
Anytime a single device saturates my upload my internet becomes nearly unusable. Especially true when iOS devices decide to backup to iCloud. I'm at a loss getting QoS to work.

I'm running Merlin 380.58 on a AC68. My connection is 25 down and up to 3 up. I say up to because it varies quite a bit between 1.5 and 3.

I've activated adaptive QoS and set my download limit to 0 and upload to 2. I've also set the priority of my smart tv to high, yet Netflix still drops from 1080 to 240 when iCloud backup kick in.

I'm at a loss on how to make QoS work. I've tried playing with the order of priority icons but the settings don't stick. I've also tried manual QoS but don't see where to create rules?

If your upstream varies a lot you might want to make sure there isn't a problem on your ISP side. Having a 25/3 ratio is bad enough already, it will become problematic if that upstream isn't stable either.

There isn't much I can do, it's due to being stuck on old copper lines and being far from the neighbourhood node. Until they decide to upgrade us to fibre, I have to live with it.

Anything QoS can do to help?

There isn't much I can do, it's due to being stuck on old copper lines and being far from the neighbourhood node. Until they decide to upgrade us to fibre, I have to live with it.

Anything QoS can do to help?

It could help, but QoS requires you to be able to properly determine your max up/down rate. Since your max rate isn't stable, you won't be able to accurately "tune" your QoS settings to your connection.

Plus, if your rate varies a lot, it might also indicate packet losses, for which there's nothing you can do on your side.

What if he chooses the lower bound of the upload rate?
Will the bandwidth always be capped to 1.5 Mb/s?

Have your tried the "auto" setting in adaptive QoS? That works pretty good for me... (20/10 connection). But maybe i'm just lucky and should set upload manually.

Have your tried the "auto" setting in adaptive QoS? That works pretty good for me... (20/10 connection). But maybe i'm just lucky and should set upload manually.

From what I understand, auto is simply unlimited for both up and down. Doesn't help my situation.

If you don't need max upload speed on your i-devices, you can set the QoS to bandwidth limiter and restrict the upload speed for those devises. Not an ideal solution, but it would properly solve your problem, and allow full upload speed on all other devises.

I'm at a loss on how to make QoS work. I've tried playing with the order of priority icons but the settings don't stick. I've also tried manual QoS but don't see where to create rules?

Are you using Safari by chance? I had this same issue and had to use Chrome to get those settings to stick.