What's new

Need help with replacement switches and router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaveJT

New Around Here
Hello, I've been having some intermittent bad luck with the pair of trendnet 'green' switches (different models) I am currently using. 1st worked fine added a second to the network and problems started.

I need recommendations for a reliable router and 2 gigabit switches as replacements.

I am attaching a rough diagram of my expected topology below. I would like a router with a dual wan capability, It should work easily with 'back to my mac', plex, ATA adapter, maybe sling-box in the future, easy setup. Switches I would like the ability to use link aggregation (port trunking?) between themselves and to my NAS. possibly to the router? Probably limited by WAN speed there? Or if there is a router with an appropriate number of ports?

IP cameras may be a future add-on, not sure for topology approach for those at this time.

Attachments

• Network.png
    Network.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 466
There are no consumer routers that support link aggregation. You will need "smart"/managed switches if you want aggregation on them.

Recommendations?

Cisco RV 042G

Cisco Series 200 switches?

Others? Cost? Ease of setup? Reliability?

tia

Have you looked into some of the smaller Juniper switches...if you are looking for the ability to perform link aggregation then this is supported on the smallest EX2200 models.....I'm thinking the EX2200-12C or the PoE varient might be a good option for your cameras etc....They are fanless and provide 12 ports of 10/100/1000....

Cheers

F

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!