What's new

need purchase help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

riellypeanut

New Around Here
I am new to the site and am looking at setting up a wireless network in my house. I would like to get a wireless router that I can build around and one that will be dependable and last awhile. I'm starting out with two laptops but while try streaming video and shared storage in the future. I dont have alot of time right now so I need something that will work out of the box but would like to get into open firmware in the future. I have been looking at the linksys e4200 and the netgear 3800 or 3700. I have a smaller two story house and would like to get good coverage through out and if I could hit the outside patio that would be a plus. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I am looking at the netgear3800 or linksys e4200. They look pretty comparable to me. Has anyone had any experience with these two or have likes dislikes?
Thanks

One place to start is to look at the reviews of each of these routers on this web site. Depending on what's most important to you, you might find something there. Also, look at the Netgear forum for the WNDR3800, and the Linksys/Cisco forum for the E4200, keeping in mind that a lot of what you see are just from the people that have problems, and a certain number of those are "pilot error".

And there are other sites that have user reviews as well, like Newegg and Amazon in particular.

Hopefully you'll get some feedback here from owners, but there are lots of places to look for user experience and expert reviews.

I'm currently a happy Linksys E4200 user, it has been totally reliable for me for more than 6 months at this point. And the wireless has worked well for me.

Thanks for the input. I found what you are saying about the reviews. Most are from discruntled or extremely happy people for both products. I have been steering towards the 4200 because of availability(you never known when you'll have to exchange it) and that it's been out longer so hopefully the firmware bugs have been worked out. The one thing that I am a little concerned about is that people are reporting that the 4200 runs really hot. Heat and components usually don't mix well for longevity but I haven' heard about heat failures.

Well, my E4200 doesn't run "really" hot, but hotter than I'd like (I'm kind of picky in some areas, heat is one). What I've done is simple, I have it sitting on a couple of wood corner molding pieces that elevate it about an inch above the surface its sitting on. The allows enough extra air flow so that it feels more like just warm.

I really don't know why Linksys doesn't make their routers so that they can sit vertically any more...I also had it supported vertically for a while, and that was even cooler, but the wireless signal wasn't quite as strong that way at my house. Another thing that would help would be to have the ventilation holes on the top, since according to my physics class, heat rises. But no.

Anyways, the heat "problem" is easily dealt with. And the router itself has been great.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me *smile*...my E4200 is refurbished, about $120 six months ago from the Cisco online store, now $100. And the since refurbished ones from the Cisco online store have the 30-day return period, it's a low-risk trial.

Last edited:
I picked up the 4200 today. It was easy to set up and seems to work well. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to elevate it so maybe it'll run cooler. I have never liked excessive heat mixed with electronics. I worked as a telecom tech for many years and saw way to many problems due to heat especially in the desert.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!