1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

need some advice for router

Discussion in 'Wireless Buying Advice' started by hclarkjr, Feb 14, 2018.

1. hclarkjr

hclarkjr New Around Here

hi, i currently have a black knight router that i have had for 7 years or so with not 1 problem with it. i recently upgraded to fiber internet and TV and started looking into routers to see what was out there. i see that there are a lot of options to go with now and am a little overwhelmed with all the choices.
    my main concern is how much more life will i get out of my current router and what do i get next? i would like to stick with asus so i can use merlin on it ( have it on my black knight ). i am not concerned about cost, just want something that will last and be good for fiber network. it will be running 2 computers, xbox and ps4, 3 or 4 tablets plus my smart TV with wifi enabled soundbar. it seems like everything uses wifi now :)
    thanx in advance to any that reply

2. Riekopo

Riekopo Regular Contributor

I'm also looking for the best router for gaming and video streaming.

3. avtella

avtella Very Senior Member

86U or R7800 both should be good. R7800 has better 5Ghz but the 86U is fairly close and has better VPN performance if u need it.