What's new

Netgear R7800: stable link but dropping data connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ebec

New Around Here
I got myself a new router to replace a WNDR 4000 that have been very stable since I got it back in 2011. (Still are)

First thing I did after setup was to run around the house and check the link speed with a Galaxy note 3 (1 stream ac) and I was very happy to see that in most places I have 2-10 dBm higher signal on 5 GHz than on the old router and very high link speeds.

The problem is in areas with medium to weak signal the data connection drops(bedroom). The link indicate that everything is fine: signal strength 70-75 dBm, link speed 75Mbps up to about 260 Mbps. I can move close to the router and it will let data through again. I can also disconnect/connect and it will transfer data for a couple of minutes before it stops again. I also get good actual transfer speed when data is let through (30 Mbit+ when doing speed test against internet) At the moment the old router does better at long distance (weaker signal and slow, but it will transfer data).

The 4000 are still set up as my “main router” and the new 7800 are set up as an Access Point connected to one of the Ethernet ports on the 4000 they are at the moment placed with a distance of about 3 feet to each other. The 7800 are updated with the latest firmware, factory reset and set up with free channels on both bands. 5GHz channel 40, 2.4GHz channel 1 (WNDR 4000: 5GHz channel 48, 2.4GHz Channel 11). Different SSID on all bands. I have also made sure there are Full Gbit on Ethernet from the 7800 to my stationary PC/internet cable modem (copy speed of 98 MB/s)

I am also disappointed of the transfer speeds I get on a laptop with an intel 6300 AGN. This is a 3 stream N card and I get link speed of 450 Mbit on both routers. On the old router I get copy speeds of up to 30 MB/s from my stationary PC. The maximum I see on the R7800 is about 17-20 MB/s.

Another laptop with two stream N (Intel 6235) is fine on the new router. Link speed 300Mbit and copy speed of up to about 27 MB/s.

I haven’t even tested apple devices yet(3 Iphones and two Ipads), but from reading here I will be better of leaving them on the old router for now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!